Discussions By Condition: Eye conditions

Eye Cyst - chalazion

Posted In: Eye conditions 15 Replies
  • Posted By: simon4amiee
  • February 5, 2007
  • 04:00 PM

Good afternoon, I went to doctors the other day, and was told I had a chalazion (eye cyst) and was prescribed anti biotics, and every site I have been on, suggests this may need to be removed via a small surgical procedure. I have looking at various pics and images of people with one, and at first mine was similar in every way, however, a large white head has now appeared, and looks like will exploe any second, was the doctor wrong as I cant find an example of a chalazion doing this. What should I do, it doen't hurt, but chances are will pop any second!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

15 Replies:

• I had the same cyst sometime ago. I had one removed by incision and the second eye also developed it again and had it removed also. It doesn't pain at all when the incision is being done. My doctor told me some might go away when you take anti biotics but to be on the safer side its good to remove it when its small.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 05:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • with warm compresses, it is very likely the chalazion will drain spontaneously in the near future and it will reduce in size. if there is any residual material in the eyelid, it will likely recur and you can discuss surgical options with your ophthalmologist.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 19, 2007
    • 00:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Good afternoon, I went to doctors the other day, and was told I had a chalazion (eye cyst) and was prescribed anti biotics, and every site I have been on, suggests this may need to be removed via a small surgical procedure. I have looking at various pics and images of people with one, and at first mine was similar in every way, however, a large white head has now appeared, and looks like will exploe any second, was the doctor wrong as I cant find an example of a chalazion doing this. What should I do, it doen't hurt, but chances are will pop any second!!I had this for many years. You do not need a surgury. when you see the white head , have lukewarm compresses to help it open up by itself. Do not press on it. I had to change my diet too. Absolutely no sugar and fermented food ( e.g. cheese). The word chalazion is old farsi word and indicates involvment of colon or large intestine. So do not worry , your immune system is doing the work .Keep it healthy .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Symptoms affecting the eyes are best diagnosed and treated by an opthalmologist vs. an optometrist. While an optometrist (an eye doctor typically located in your local eyewear store) is fully trained to perform a wide array of tests, medical diagnosis is best left to the opthalmologist. While both are doctors, only the opthalmologist is an MD.
  • I have had these, it should just pop, or I've poped them myself. If a whitehead forms its ready i'd say
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2008
    • 04:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This is really interesting! I had to have two cysts cut out a few years ago as they were affecting my eyesight. (A third one dried up on it's own) I have a wheat intolerance and was told a few years after discovering it that dairy intolerance commonly follows it. Sure enough my test showed it up, and since leaving it out of my diet - no more styes. However I do find it empossible to give up chocolate! If I eat too much at Easter, I feel my right eyelid start to itch so I stop! Also apparently one place where toxins in the body show themselves is on the eyelids. So I would say to anyone out there who is suffering regularly with these styes, get an allergy test done - just to put your mind at rest if nothing else. I went to Holland & Barrett and had a physics test done (not 100% accurate) but it always has been in my case! Hope this helps and good luck people!I had this for many years. You do not need a surgury. when you see the white head , have lukewarm compresses to help it open up by itself. Do not press on it. I had to change my diet too. Absolutely no sugar and fermented food ( e.g. cheese). The word chalazion is old farsi word and indicates involvment of colon or large intestine. So do not worry , your immune system is doing the work .Keep it healthy .
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2010
    • 06:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a cyst in one of my eyes the doctor also said I had to have surgery... but after a while I put lots of steam and salty water on my eye and i squeezed it a lil bit and it popped by itself and it's never come back since...
  • I had the same cyst sometime ago. I had one removed by incision and the second eye also developed it again and had it removed also. It doesn't pain at all when the incision is being done. My doctor told me some might go away when you take anti biotics but to be on the safer side its good to remove it when its small.I have to have a cyst removed from my eye, could you see it happening at the time? I know they freeze the lid but i'm unsure whether i will be able to see the knife/injection as it happens?
  • I have had the surgical procedure done and i did not see the knife due to the eye being numbed.
  • I don't think it's a good idea to squeeze it like some of you are saying... :)
    fostin 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had reoccuring cyst on my upper and lower eyelids, ive had to removed via eyesurgery and i was put under( knocked out) and woke up fine, however i did have blooddy eyes for awhile and had to continously redress them (a week or so)i do suggest surgery however!i have just developed anothe one and have been given an antibotic cream and a whitehead has developedo n the inside of my lid im not sure where or not i will try to induce it to pop though.hope that helped!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 30, 2010
    • 05:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I recently just treated a Chlazion, currently making a site that should help!https://sites.google.com/site/chalazionmd/
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2011
    • 01:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had the surgical procedure done and i did not see the knife due to the eye being numbed.This site was pretty helpfulwww.ChalazionMD.com
    healthwizard111 1 Replies
    • January 29, 2011
    • 04:23 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Good afternoon, I went to doctors the other day, and was told I had a chalazion (eye cyst) and was prescribed anti biotics, and every site I have been on, suggests this may need to be removed via a small surgical procedure. I have looking at various pics and images of people with one, and at first mine was similar in every way, however, a large white head has now appeared, and looks like will exploe any second, was the doctor wrong as I cant find an example of a chalazion doing this. What should I do, it doen't hurt, but chances are will pop any second!!I had the same thing for six months. Some doctors said stye, some said chalazion. Diligent use of hot compresses and antibiotic ointment DID NOT HELP. Told by Group Health I needed to have it cut out. I am not a good candidate for the surgery---too prone to flinching when people came at my eyes with sharp instruments.Went to a naturopath, he put me on a strict "elimination diet." (gluten, dairy, egg, soy-free.)Stye/chalzion went away. Started eating dairy, came right back. Chalazion-free for a month or so, thought I'd start eating dairy again. Stupid.Now I have one on the inside of the lower eyelid instead of in the eyelash line of the upper lid. So it is not as unsightly but I do want to get rid of it. And know what I have to do: CUT OUT THE DAIRY.
    frenchy 1 Replies
    • December 20, 2011
    • 10:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • it is the best thing that may happen to chalazion. Start doing heat compression (via cotton) on it to help it explode. You also squeze it to help ichor flow away from the opened whole. make sure all ichor has flown away. you can use the creme you are using to get rid of the chalazion on to the opened hole. Dont push it inside just slightly. I had the same progress. Now i dont have a chalazion on the side where it got white end exploded.
    Anonymous 1 Replies
    • November 11, 2014
    • 08:41 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement