Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Phlegm in chest after eating, constant clearing of throat/coughing

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: jonnyd
  • May 1, 2010
  • 09:28 PM

Hi all, I am a 24 year old male and after I eat a meal/carbs I cough for up to an hour later because there seems to be phlegm in my chest/throat...

It's extremely irritating because I look like a healthy individual, but after I eat I can't help but clear my throat and cough and it just doesn't go away.

I have read it could be an insulin problem? I do not know... but any help would be appreciated.

It seems like it doesn't happen when I don't eat many carbs. Please dont say "dont eat carbs." as your answer. Is there a better alternative to this if it is the carbs causing it? Anything the doctors can do to help??

If you tell me "Don't eat carbs." explain why, and then explain if there is a treatment for it.. thank you

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• It may be caused by an allergy.It could be chronic sinusitis: the cavities around nasal passages (sinuses) become inflamed and swollen. This interferes with drainage and causes mucus to build up. This common condition is also called chronic rhinosinusitis. Chronic sinusitis may be caused by an infection but can also be caused by growths in the sinuses (nasal polyps) or a deviated nasal septum.Postnasal drip can cause coughing to the point of vomiting as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs. You may experience the postnasal drip as a great deal of phlegm in your sinuses. This may cause you to feel stuffed up and you may constantly clear your throat. As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily. This will thin the phlegm so that it moves more easily.You should talk to your doctor about the symptoms and he will most likely be able to diagnose your problem and find a treatment.
    Twinbird24 24 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,