Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

numbness on one side, pins and needles, headaches...help please?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 20 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • May 9, 2009
  • 10:40 PM

For the past few years I've had a slightly different sense of feeling in my left side, it feels numb. I can still feel things and use it fine, but it's not as sensitive as my right side. It was barely noticable until about a year ago.

The left side of my face and my left hand are affected most, I feel like my mouth is kinda droopy on the inside and my left side reacts a little slower (my left eye blinks slightly afterwards and my left fingers don't seem to respond to things nearly as fast as my right ones)

I have pain in the left side of my neck and my neck. I've also had a headache pretty much constantly for the past couple months, it sometimes feels like a lot of pressure on the top of my head or side by my face, or I get shooting pains. I have trouble focusing on things.

I also get shooting pains down my lower arm and lower leg, and pins and needles around my fingers and foot.

I've been referred to a neurologist, after being sent to an orthapedic consultant who told me there was nothing wrong and I needed to see a psychologist :/

But while I'm playing the waiting game, any ideas what could be the cause of all this? Oh, I'm a 20 year old female by the way if that changes anything!

Reply Flag this Discussion

20 Replies:

• nothing? :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Please have a Western Blot test for Lyme Disease. These are all symptoms.
  • Hello... I am also having the same problems.... I recently had a k- scan and everything came back normal... But i have since then lost feeling on my left side of my face.... It has a tingling feeling, like when your hand falls asleep and you get a prickly feeling.... Thats what i have in my left hand.so i will be gng to get a mri done on monday... I will be sure to post my results.... I am 26 yrs old and a mother of three boys.....dnt know if that has anything to do with it.
  • For the past few years I've had a slightly different sense of feeling in my left side, it feels numb. I can still feel things and use it fine, but it's not as sensitive as my right side. It was barely noticable until about a year ago. The left side of my face and my left hand are affected most, I feel like my mouth is kinda droopy on the inside and my left side reacts a little slower (my left eye blinks slightly afterwards and my left fingers don't seem to respond to things nearly as fast as my right ones)I have pain in the left side of my neck and my neck. I've also had a headache pretty much constantly for the past couple months, it sometimes feels like a lot of pressure on the top of my head or side by my face, or I get shooting pains. I have trouble focusing on things.I also get shooting pains down my lower arm and lower leg, and pins and needles around my fingers and foot. I've been referred to a neurologist, after being sent to an orthapedic consultant who told me there was nothing wrong and I needed to see a psychologist :/ But while I'm playing the waiting game, any ideas what could be the cause of all this? Oh, I'm a 20 year old female by the way if that changes anything!Thanks :)Every thing is possible if god wishes, although it is very diffulct to get rid of such disease but i think if you help me(don't think about money i don't believe in asking for money to anyone for help) i can find some solution for you call me. sr_285@rediffmail.com
  • Look at websites for MS. Your symptoms sound like mine and I have possible to probable MS. Search MSCentral website. This is a wonderful website to learn about MS. Good Luck.
    Ovationlady 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • I got a letter today with my MRI results and everything has come back normal for my brain and cervical spine.I think the doctors are pretty much ready to give up and tell me just to live with it :(
  • Glad your MRI came back negative, although sorry about the doctor's advice. However, with me, my doctor said for me to wait another 6 months before another MRI to compare to last 6-month MRI. However, my symptoms came back and she wants me to have an MRI this week. Keep a close eye on your symptoms and keep a diary of it. Call doctor if things get worse. Good Luck.:)
  • Sorry to hear your symptoms are back.I've had a letter saying the neurologist will review me one more time in due course.I've never thought of keeping a diary of it, even though it seems obvious now. Thank you!
  • You are very welcome. Keep me informed. Where are you writing from. You seem to be 4 hours ahead of me? I live in Virginia, US.
  • I'm in England.
  • I'll have a look into that now, thanks.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I'm 22, I have two young girls & I just noticed m symtpms. HELP! Call me at 360-820-4034
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 17, 2009
    • 06:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry to hear your symptoms are back.I've had a letter saying the neurologist will review me one more time in due course.I've never thought of keeping a diary of it, even though it seems obvious now. Thank you!I've had same symptoms on my right side. The numbness progressed from my shin, to hip, then to my shoulder and right side of my face and head. No motor problem, but it feels either numb or just tight. Lately I've been having some prickling and pain a v specific locations in my back also. MRI, CAT scan, lumbar puncture (infection, MS markers etc), all bloodwork came out negative. One hypothesis was a cereberal vasoconstriction - although the neorologists are split, my symptoms were preceded by a thunderclap headache - hence the diagnosis. This was 10 days ago. I'm on a Ca channel blocker which has helped, but symptoms tend to return and stay randomly. Today I feel number than yesterday. Day before I was completely ok. They are doing a lumbar spine MRI to check for disc compression.Any suggestions? I'm 31.
  • Sorry to hear your symptoms are back.I've had a letter saying the neurologist will review me one more time in due course.I've never thought of keeping a diary of it, even though it seems obvious now. Thank you!Hey Tetra - how was the diagnosis?I've had same symptoms on my right side. The numbness progressed from my shin, to hip, then to my shoulder and right side of my face and head. No motor problem, but it feels either numb or just tight. Lately I've been having some prickling and pain a v specific locations in my back also. MRI, CAT scan, lumbar puncture (infection, MS markers etc), all bloodwork came out negative. One hypothesis was a cereberal vasoconstriction - although the neorologists are split, my symptoms were preceded by a thunderclap headache - hence the diagnosis. This was 10 days ago. I'm on a Ca channel blocker which has helped, but symptoms tend to return and stay randomly. Today I feel number than yesterday. Day before I was completely ok. They are doing a lumbar spine MRI to check for disc compression.Any suggestions? I'm 31.
  • Hey Tetra - how was the diagnosis?I've had same symptoms on my right side. The numbness progressed from my shin, to hip, then to my shoulder and right side of my face and head. No motor problem, but it feels either numb or just tight. Lately I've been having some prickling and pain a v specific locations in my back also. MRI, CAT scan, lumbar puncture (infection, MS markers etc), all bloodwork came out negative. One hypothesis was a cereberal vasoconstriction - although the neorologists are split, my symptoms were preceded by a thunderclap headache - hence the diagnosis. This was 10 days ago. I'm on a Ca channel blocker which has helped, but symptoms tend to return and stay randomly. Today I feel number than yesterday. Day before I was completely ok. They are doing a lumbar spine MRI to check for disc compression.Any suggestions? I'm 31.
  • What medicines are you on? Or been on the last 3 years?
    hoggess 10 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had the exact same symptoms, which have been ongoing for over 2 years. Ive been to may doctors etc and I still am no further to getting a diognosis. What else could it be if not MS?
  • For the past few years I've had a slightly different sense of feeling in my left side, it feels numb. I can still feel things and use it fine, but it's not as sensitive as my right side. It was barely noticable until about a year ago. The left side of my face and my left hand are affected most, I feel like my mouth is kinda droopy on the inside and my left side reacts a little slower (my left eye blinks slightly afterwards and my left fingers don't seem to respond to things nearly as fast as my right ones)I have pain in the left side of my neck and my neck. I've also had a headache pretty much constantly for the past couple months, it sometimes feels like a lot of pressure on the top of my head or side by my face, or I get shooting pains. I have trouble focusing on things.I also get shooting pains down my lower arm and lower leg, and pins and needles around my fingers and foot. I've been referred to a neurologist, after being sent to an orthapedic consultant who told me there was nothing wrong and I needed to see a psychologist :/ But while I'm playing the waiting game, any ideas what could be the cause of all this? Oh, I'm a 20 year old female by the way if that changes anything!Thanks :)Sounds like MS. My boyfriend had the same symptoms and all his doctors told him he needed a psychologist. When he found a doctor who took him seriously they found out he had MS. Now he's on the right meds and the pain/numbness went away for the most part. It sounds like you need a doctor who takes your well being seriously.
  • For the past few years I've had a slightly different sense of feeling in my left side, it feels numb. I can still feel things and use it fine, but it's not as sensitive as my right side. It was barely noticable until about a year ago. The left side of my face and my left hand are affected most, I feel like my mouth is kinda droopy on the inside and my left side reacts a little slower (my left eye blinks slightly afterwards and my left fingers don't seem to respond to things nearly as fast as my right ones)I have pain in the left side of my neck and my neck. I've also had a headache pretty much constantly for the past couple months, it sometimes feels like a lot of pressure on the top of my head or side by my face, or I get shooting pains. I have trouble focusing on things.I also get shooting pains down my lower arm and lower leg, and pins and needles around my fingers and foot. I've been referred to a neurologist, after being sent to an orthapedic consultant who told me there was nothing wrong and I needed to see a psychologist :/ But while I'm playing the waiting game, any ideas what could be the cause of all this? Oh, I'm a 20 year old female by the way if that changes anything!Thanks :)Wow! I feel like you were describing me and my symptoms. After all the tests (including MRIs) have come back normal, I was told I have conversion disorder. Conversion disorder happens when traumatic events occur, causing your body to display physical symptoms to deal with the stress...what a load of BS. I'm just getting over what I call episodes. I had reoccuring bells palsy, partial paralysis in my left leg and arms, pains everywhere in random places and times, memory problems, extreme fatigue (I would fall asleep in the shower) all over muscle tremors (looked like seizures), muscles cramping clumsinees and it was like I forgot how to walk normal. People would look at me like I was nuts, especially in school. I'm a 20 year old female and have pretty much given up hope. My family doctor just brushed me aside, although I'm going to a new neurologist in a month. In the beginning I was told I had clinical ms, but to diagnose me they would need to do MRIs, which came back normal. I'm so frustrated! Please let me know if you get a diagnosis. PS Sorry for any errors, my cognitive abilites are terrible right now.
  • My husband has had "episodes" four days in a row. He gets a headache across his forehead, then if he gets up to walk, his whole left side goes numb and if not near something to hold on to, will fall. This lasts about 3 min, and then the headache and numbness are gone. Then he is exhausted and sleeps all day/night.Anyone heard of this?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 14, 2010
    • 11:43 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement