Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Too Late Now.....I have a Large Uterine Fibroid

Posted In: Medical Errors 45 Replies
  • Posted By: annsky67
  • November 10, 2006
  • 05:45 AM

In retrospect, my diagnosis should have long been overdue. It has been delayed because of the doctors who told me I was just having a case of acid reflux and hemorrhoids. I first experienced abdominal cramping in 2002, the Doc prescribed me Nexium to deal with my pain. I have consulted with him for quite some time until I moved to another State and the docs that time were cynical of my symptoms, almost indifferent... just adviced me to go home, (suck it up) and take some antacids and stomach relief medications. They never ordered tests or studies to be done. Why/ Because they thought it was a case of GERD for me or whatever....:(
After several months, my female family practicioner ordered a pap smear but it was negative. I think a colonoscopy followed which also yielded negative results but the docs discovered hemorrhoids so they thought that was causing my problem and GERD...or was it?:eek: In April 2005, I noticed my bleeding was really heavy. I consulted the new Doc about the underlying cause of my heavy periods and he assured me that it was just normal because I was close to the peremenopausal stage. (at 39 yrs). At this point, he ordered a pap smear but since it was negative, he called me over the phone and suggested a hysterectomy. I thought to myself, why would he order that when no one even an OB did not diagnose me? For me, that kind of operation was too soon and too abrupt. Besides, my husband and I planned to have a child together. Since my period never ceased to be unusually heavy and bothersome, I saw that Doc again....:mad: On my visit, Dr.wasn’t around so they designated me with another male doc. The substitute doctor this time suggested that I take birth control pills to stop the bleeding. He reasoned “ that tests cannot be done when I am bleeding ”. I took it once but I was compounded with a severe headache and more pain so I stopped. When I couldn’t bear my heavy periods any longer, I sought the help of a female doc, I though that she can understand my situation better. I complained to her about my abdominal pain and heavy periods. She asked one of the OBs in the hospital to assist her in doing like a “biopsy test” on me. The OB explained that they hope that my heavy bleeding is not a sign of cancer. After a week, the OB called and informed that my biopsy was negative and that I should see the same doc again . They said I did not have cancer and so it was good. On my vacation here in CA, I was stunned after being told in the ER that I had an enlarged uterus with a mass/fibroid (18 cms). The OB Gynecologist even remarked Im like 3 months pregnant because my uterus is so enlarged and big like it swelled up...... Also, I have cysts now in my ovaries. These findings were seen following a transvaginal sonogram and utlrasound...This month I am scheduled to have a total hysterectomy...IS THIS A CASE OF JUST PLAIN BAD LUCK WITH DOCS OR WAS I MISDIAGNOSED????CAN I FILE FOR A MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE WITH THE DOCTORS WHO IGNORED MY COMPLAINTS...???

Reply Flag this Discussion

45 Replies:

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.