Discussions By Condition: Heart conditions

Heart Failure vs Pneumonia

Posted In: Heart conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: NikNak
  • July 29, 2008
  • 00:09 AM

I have a question:

Does anybody have any idea if heart failure and pneumonia go hand in hand. I couldn't find any information through my search on the net. Here's why:

I got very sick in Jan 07 (got to the point where I could barely walk to the bathroom and be out of breath-like 5 steps away). Was treated for several different things over the course of time-pneumonia being one of them. When treaments weren't working I went to an Urgent Care for yet another visit. Upon and xray they noticed that my heart was enlarged and explained that I needed to go to an emergency room due to this because it could be serious. I then proceeded to an emergency room and through some testing the doc came back in and told me that I might have a virus in my heart or (?) blood clot in my lung both of which were extremely serious. After having a CAT Scan she came in and diagnosed me with double pneumonia.

I seemed to have accepted it, although I had already taken drugs for pneumonia that didn't help, and went on my way. Well 6 weeks and many more doctors visits to my regular doctor later, they realized my xray from the urgent care came back with an enlarged heart and set me up for a heart echo. Low and behold I DID in fact have Congestive Heart Failure (caused by a virus) and was admitted into the hospital immediately. My heart was only pumping out 10% of it's blood. What?!? But..but...but..."the one doc said..." Yeah right

I'm frustrated with this emergency doc first telling me that I "might" have a virus in my heart, sending me away with double pneumonia, and then finding out that she was right on the money. What are the odds of this happening? Am I a victim of mal-practice? How much more worse did my heart get over the last 6 weeks? Could it had not been that bad if she'd diagnosed me with it right then and there? Is this a common mis-diagnosis? Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thats my story....

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• This happens more times than you could imagin It happen to me and also my aunt.both us had a heart attach, she lost 50% of heart use, I lost 60% i had a pacemaker and after a year my heart was up functioning 60%, so I am very than thankful i have a greatcardic doctor Good Luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have a question: Does anybody have any idea if heart failure and pneumonia go hand in hand. I couldn't find any information through my search on the net. Here's why: I got very sick in Jan 07 (got to the point where I could barely walk to the bathroom and be out of breath-like 5 steps away). Was treated for several different things over the course of time-pneumonia being one of them. When treaments weren't working I went to an Urgent Care for yet another visit. Upon and xray they noticed that my heart was enlarged and explained that I needed to go to an emergency room due to this because it could be serious. I then proceeded to an emergency room and through some testing the doc came back in and told me that I might have a virus in my heart or (?) blood clot in my lung both of which were extremely serious. After having a CAT Scan she came in and diagnosed me with double pneumonia. I seemed to have accepted it, although I had already taken drugs for pneumonia that didn't help, and went on my way. Well 6 weeks and many more doctors visits to my regular doctor later, they realized my xray from the urgent care came back with an enlarged heart and set me up for a heart echo. Low and behold I DID in fact have Congestive Heart Failure (caused by a virus) and was admitted into the hospital immediately. My heart was only pumping out 10% of it's blood. What?!? But..but...but..."the one doc said..." Yeah right I'm frustrated with this emergency doc first telling me that I "might" have a virus in my heart, sending me away with double pneumonia, and then finding out that she was right on the money. What are the odds of this happening? Am I a victim of mal-practice? How much more worse did my heart get over the last 6 weeks? Could it had not been that bad if she'd diagnosed me with it right then and there? Is this a common mis-diagnosis? Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thats my story....I dont know much about Heart Problems, but I have a friend that Volunteers at one of the best Heart Centers in the USA,Yuma Reginal Medical Center and we were looking inside this webpage to do research about the most common health problems..and we came accross this page its really good..you should check it out..http://www.ecommunity.com/cardiovascular/]Heart surgery
    manegro 1 Replies
    • September 21, 2009
    • 05:03 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement