Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Prickling feeling mainly on face/waist/back when hot!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 18 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 7, 2008
  • 10:46 PM

Hi all,

I've been to my GP twice about this problem now, and have yet to solve it!

For about 2 months, maybe a little longer, I've been getting this prickling feeling like hundreds of little needles stabbing my skin. It happens quite a number of times a day, and usually is at its worst for a minute or two at most.

It seems to be brought on whenever I'm hot, stressed, or under any kind of pressure. It's not just a stress issue though, the heat thing seems to be the main culprit - eg. it will happen at night in bed sometimes, or when doing any exercise.

If I remember correctly, it started on my face, then waist and back came afterwards. Now it happens on any of these parts of my body, and sometimes in my legs too.

The research I've done points to prickly heat / heat rash, although it does not affect my armpits and I sweat from there as normal! The doctor has prescribed me two different antihistamine tablets for allergys, but neither of these make any difference. I've eliminated allergic reactions really, and am now using free soaps too.

There's no major rash, although the skin around my body is slightly blotchy if anything, but smooth. A few times the prickling sensation has hit my arms, and when that happened there were small red dots that came up and went down soon after. Nothing raised.

I really can't put up with this for much longer! When it triggers I get very uncomfortable and usually have to clutch my face, it's agonising!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Chris.

Reply Flag this Discussion

18 Replies:

• Hi I am not sure if this is helpful but My Cousin had the exact same thing happen to him and he went to a dermatologist. He had some condition which name eludes me unfortunately where his sweat gland were blocked by bacteria and so whenever sweat were to be produced when excercising or behing hot, he would get the needles feeling you mention.I just thought It may be an idea that could be helpful.Good luck keep us posted
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 11:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I am not sure if this is helpful but My Cousin had the exact same thing happen to him and he went to a dermatologist. He had some condition which name eludes me unfortunately where his sweat gland were blocked by bacteria and so whenever sweat were to be produced when excercising or behing hot, he would get the needles feeling you mention.I just thought It may be an idea that could be helpful.Good luck keep us postedHi,Thanks for the reply!This does sound similar, I guess if it is blocked sweat glands then I should stop moisturising (which has been temporarily relieving it).Any chance of finding out how he treated it? I would like to see a dermatologist, and it was the first thing I asked my GP, but he was reluctant to refer me before trying the antihistamine tablets.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like something in the herpes family...there's so many to choose from...is it one sided pain? Then it's shingles...you can request blood work for all most of them...
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 07:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds like something in the herpes family...there's so many to choose from...is it one sided pain? Then it's shingles...you can request blood work for all most of them...It's not one-sided, seems to be all over! I did have blood tests mid last-year which didn't show up anything, so I don't think it could be herpes...It is less of a pain, more of a burning sensation...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2008
    • 04:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well what I think my cousin took was some kind of antiepctic cream precribed to him by the derma as well andanti inflamatories to ease the nerves underneath. That I all I remember though. I doctors can be tough but in the end you pay their salary and they should listen to your opinionOh yeah but I think his got worst anyways and had to ad antibiotics to it though :(
    Locke_gb7 22 Replies
    • January 9, 2008
    • 08:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is what it looks like when it flares up, and on my arms. It didn't happen there for a while but it seems to be back!The little red dots/spots are not raised, and go down again quite soon after the "attack" stops.It's definitely triggered by heat, it's like I'm overly sensitive to getting hot. I'm sitting in an office where everyone else is wearing jumpers, yet I'm just wearing a t-shirt. A cup of tea was all it took to make me start getting uncomfortable and the whole prickling burning feeling started again!http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/337/dsc01022pr8.jpg
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 11, 2008
    • 10:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi all,I've been to my GP twice about this problem now, and have yet to solve it!For about 2 months, maybe a little longer, I've been getting this prickling feeling like hundreds of little needles stabbing my skin. It happens quite a number of times a day, and usually is at its worst for a minute or two at most.It seems to be brought on whenever I'm hot, stressed, or under any kind of pressure. It's not just a stress issue though, the heat thing seems to be the main culprit - eg. it will happen at night in bed sometimes, or when doing any exercise.If I remember correctly, it started on my face, then waist and back came afterwards. Now it happens on any of these parts of my body, and sometimes in my legs too.The research I've done points to prickly heat / heat rash, although it does not affect my armpits and I sweat from there as normal! The doctor has prescribed me two different antihistamine tablets for allergys, but neither of these make any difference. I've eliminated allergic reactions really, and am now using free soaps too.There's no major rash, although the skin around my body is slightly blotchy if anything, but smooth. A few times the prickling sensation has hit my arms, and when that happened there were small red dots that came up and went down soon after. Nothing raised.I really can't put up with this for much longer! When it triggers I get very uncomfortable and usually have to clutch my face, it's agonising!Can anyone shed any light on this?Thanks,Chris.I got this exact same problem. I've had it since January now. Have you gotten any better?Does anyone else know what I can do to get better?Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I got this exact same problem. I've had it since January now. Have you gotten any better?Does anyone else know what I can do to get better?Thanks.It's still there, although I have found that taking Zirtek allergy tablets does relieve it a bit - none of the other antihistimines I've tried have helped though.I have also started going to the gym regularly, and it is unbearable for the first few minutes on a treadmill but once I break through it I'm fine. Going 3 times a week pretty much stopped it happening altogether, yet I was unable to go for just over a week recently and it all came back worse than ever!It is very strange, and I really have no idea what it is.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • What about morgellons:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi all,I've been to my GP twice about this problem now, and have yet to solve it!For about 2 months, maybe a little longer, I've been getting this prickling feeling like hundreds of little needles stabbing my skin. It happens quite a number of times a day, and usually is at its worst for a minute or two at most.It seems to be brought on whenever I'm hot, stressed, or under any kind of pressure. It's not just a stress issue though, the heat thing seems to be the main culprit - eg. it will happen at night in bed sometimes, or when doing any exercise.If I remember correctly, it started on my face, then waist and back came afterwards. Now it happens on any of these parts of my body, and sometimes in my legs too.The research I've done points to prickly heat / heat rash, although it does not affect my armpits and I sweat from there as normal! The doctor has prescribed me two different antihistamine tablets for allergys, but neither of these make any difference. I've eliminated allergic reactions really, and am now using free soaps too.There's no major rash, although the skin around my body is slightly blotchy if anything, but smooth. A few times the prickling sensation has hit my arms, and when that happened there were small red dots that came up and went down soon after. Nothing raised.I really can't put up with this for much longer! When it triggers I get very uncomfortable and usually have to clutch my face, it's agonising!Can anyone shed any light on this?Thanks,Chris.I got this exact same problem. I've had it since January now. Have you gotten any better?Does anyone else know what I can do to get better?Thanks.I have also had this problem for a while now. Chris, or k.k, have you had any improvements? Thanks
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 10, 2008
    • 05:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • NO NO NO..dont even go on with that Morgellons crap for this! I work for a derm & this condition is most likely a type of hives that is brought on by heat & sweating! Pressure can also do this...check out this site & read up on hives. http://www.medicinenet.com/hives/article.htmZyrtec is one of the best antihistamine for helping hives & it's now OTC (over the counter) You can take it more than 1 time a day if needed to prevent the hives from coming out..also you should take some ESPECIALLY before doing anything that is going to make you hot & sweaty. The burning sensation is from the histamines in the skin & you need to keep them from being released with activity. Give it a try & see how it goes! Hope it's what is going on & is helpful!:)
    PitLover58 6 Replies
    • September 11, 2008
    • 00:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hey chris, im 15 years old, i have the exact same thing as you, wen i get hot i get prikling heat on my chest and back mainly, and i know exactly wat u mean by u wearing a tshirt in the freezing cold and evry1 else wearin jumpers, i have to do the same sometime. i get prikling heat very bad and ive had to stop playin my sports and doin my exercise. my sister is a homeopath and i told her about the prikling heat i get and she's been giving me remedies, ive had quite a few but im having this different one, she said its going to be slow but it will hopefuly work, i think you should go to a homeopath, GP's are rubbish, seriously try going to a homeopath because its been workin on me but very slowly.hope this helpd mate, knw how u feel.
    Danial 1 Replies
    • December 13, 2008
    • 03:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have these symptoms. I spoke with my GP and explained what was happening and was told that my skin was reacting to excessive the wetting and drying actions going on. I have had to stop exercising and while at work where I do quite a bit of walking I have to make sure I do not wlak too fast to avoid sweating! So I did some research online and I found a reference to Cholinergic Urticaria. I centered my research on allergies because I have trouble with environmental allergies and my skin errupts into miniature hives when I sweat, the same as when I have a bad allergy attack. The site has a fairly decent explanation of the disease http://allergies.about.com/od/urticariahives/a/cholinergic.htm I am hoping that my GP will refer me to an allergist for the testing so that I may get some relief. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 18, 2008
    • 04:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • OMG that photo is ME! The prickles drive me nuts. Come on when heat up and yes I think it's hives - I also dream of bees stinging me when it's really bad!! Anything helped? I have used cold flannels, a anti-shingles cream which cools the itch. I am now trying betonite clay and psyllium husks. When it's not too bad I just get blotchy itchy but other days it feels like firecrackers.If I eat cooling foods it seems to help and lay off hot foods - (teas, curry, chocolate) it seems to cool my skin down.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 21, 2009
    • 11:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've recently (within the past couple of weeks, really) began experiences the tingling in my lower-to-upper back and arms, as well. I did a little research and found that this tingling sensation is known as paresthesia. There can be many causes for this, as I've read, and some are obviously a little more worrisome than others. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/back_paresthesia_tingling_.htm provides a solid list (the second section) on possible causes for this condition. Though the article is focused on parethesia of the back, many of those causes were also related to parethesia in other locations. After reading this article, and doing further research, I believe I may have found the cause for my condition and will likely be seeing my General Practitioner very soon. http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_symptoms.htm. I suffer many of the symptoms listed here, especially parethesia of the back (Sensory Symptoms at the bottom of Page 1), constant fatigue even though I get a solid 8+ hours of sleep a night as long as I don't get hot and the tingling sets in, and constant feelings of vertigo. If any of you who have posted with having the tingling symptoms share any of these other symptoms, it might not be a bad idea to ask your GP to screen you for Multiple Sclerosis. I'm praying that that's not the cause for my discomfort, but all signs so far have been pointing to it. Being that things are chaotic around the Holidays, my wife and I have decided to wait until next week to have me checked. Wish me luck, and believe me when I say that I'll be returning with whatever news I receive.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 26, 2009
    • 10:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • HiHow did the investigations go sir?I've recently (within the past couple of weeks, really) began experiences the tingling in my lower-to-upper back and arms, as well. I did a little research and found that this tingling sensation is known as paresthesia. There can be many causes for this, as I've read, and some are obviously a little more worrisome than others. http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/back_paresthesia_tingling_.htm provides a solid list (the second section) on possible causes for this condition. Though the article is focused on parethesia of the back, many of those causes were also related to parethesia in other locations. After reading this article, and doing further research, I believe I may have found the cause for my condition and will likely be seeing my General Practitioner very soon. http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_symptoms.htm. I suffer many of the symptoms listed here, especially parethesia of the back (Sensory Symptoms at the bottom of Page 1), constant fatigue even though I get a solid 8+ hours of sleep a night as long as I don't get hot and the tingling sets in, and constant feelings of vertigo. If any of you who have posted with having the tingling symptoms share any of these other symptoms, it might not be a bad idea to ask your GP to screen you for Multiple Sclerosis. I'm praying that that's not the cause for my discomfort, but all signs so far have been pointing to it. Being that things are chaotic around the Holidays, my wife and I have decided to wait until next week to have me checked. Wish me luck, and believe me when I say that I'll be returning with whatever news I receive.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2009
    • 01:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • PLEASE READ I AM CURED!! JMy life is FINALLY back to normal, Thank you god!!Here is my story!Starting back in August of last year, I started getting an itching/prickling sensation all over my hands and feet. Sometimes I would even get them on my legs, back and face and this went on for 8 months. I didn’t know what to do, this annoying sensation was disrupting my life. I couldn’t focus at work, home or school because of the itching/pricking/needle feeling all over my body. It would even occur at night or while in the bed. I was losing it people…I went through 8 months of torture. After trying tea tree old, taking bleach baths, using all types of ointments, sulfur baths etc NOTHING seem to work. I even thought I had scabies or some type of bug that crawled under my skin and laid eggs. I even though it was fleas…so we hired carpet cleaning people to steam clean our carpet up to 200 degrees, we even hired several pest control people to come out and spray. My husband and I spent 1000s of dollars but nothing was working. Oh I forgot to mention that my husband was not having the itching problem, it was only me! Well we sold our house and got rid of all our furniture because of the annoying sensation I was having. I prayed everyday asking the lord to help me and after moving into our apartment something hit me!! I thought that I should go to a dermatologist even though I read many stories online saying that dermatologist are no help…Well I went to the dermatologist and he asked me several questions:Do I take long HOT bathes? YesWhat kind of soaps do I use? I said doveDo I moisturize my skin after getting out of the tub? NoDoes the itchy/prickling sensations come when I turn the heat on? YesDoes it happen more at night? YesDoes the itching occur when your body over heats? YesThe dermatologist told me that the HOT HOT water from the bathes I take has dried my skin completely out. He said this is what’s causes the pricking/itchy sensation. He said that my skin is cracking and it cracks a lot more when my body over heats. He then told me what to use to get rid of the prickling sensation and was 100% sure that it will work. He said that my skin needs moisture and recommend I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream at night after I get out of the shower and in the morning for 1 whole month. He said when you get out of the shower, rub the cream all over your body, Head to Toe. Then do it in the morning before you go outside. Doing this will put moisture back into your skin and restore it. It took 1 week for this cream to work on me!!! Here it is a month later and I haven’t felt any type of prickling sensation or anything. JI don’t know if this will help everyone but it sure did help me. You can buy the CerVe at Walmart or Walgreens, its in a white jar. Rub it all over your body and stay away from HOT HOT bathes. Take only warm bathes. HOT bathes try your skin out…the dermatologist says HOT water KILLS your skin and a lot of people don’t know that. CeraVe is safe to use, it’s like a lotion so you can use it everyday all day if you like.
    amy845 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi ... I hope this will help anyone out there with painful needle prickling feeling on parts of body with no apparent cause. My 12 years old son has this symptom for a few weeks and he'll go crazy every time he has this. I was told that it is a nerve disorder. He is cured now just by taking vitamins B12.
    I know that each person suffering from this has a different trigger point. My son's was heat. It help to put cooling towel around his neck when going outside. Good luck!
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement