Discussions By Condition: Skin conditions

Leg rash.. Advice on kind of doctor to see?

Posted In: Skin conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 28, 2009
  • 09:21 AM

I'm a 31 year old, male. Overall, I'm fairly healthy. I've had a itchy rash on my right calf, with leg swelling that started small 2 years ago very small and had no swelling. It has very slowly progressed to what it is now. Here's a few pictures of the RIGHT leg:
http://ehreverywhere.com/members/RightLegInside.jpg http://ehreverywhere.com/members/RightLegOutside.jpg

The non-red spots in the left picture are where I had scratched the skin pretty raw when I first got it (when it looked like the picture below), which now feel slightly raised up above the rest of the rash . It is also accompanied by swelling which seems to go away every morning after I lay down overnight. Over time, I used a moisturizing lotion and I found one that stopped the itching.

So it hadn't been bothering me, except just recently, my other leg started with a itchy rash on the calf, almost exactly the same way as the other one started 2 years ago, and now my legs started being itchy all over even where there's no rash or visible mark. Here's a picture of the new rash on the LEFT leg:

I want to see the right kind of doctor first, I can't afford to keep getting bounced from doctor to doctor (like most of them do so they can bill more to insurance). I have no insurance.

I could probably spare a $500-$1,500 over a few months, and friends have suggested just going to the ER and letting them just admit me (bill me / sue me later kind of thing) but I support my wife and 4 kids with the 2 jobs I have. I will lose at least one of them if I can't work because I'm the only person who does my job, and business will not go on without an immediate replacement which will require extensive specific training (they can't just hire a temp).

I don't see any reason why I'd be admitted but it seems common here where they do it just to get more money out of the patients. I'm sure this can be treated as an outpatient, seeing as I've gone on for 2 years at working 70+ hours a week, 6 days a week. At least half of those hours are on my feet.

The question is.. Should I see a family doctor, or a dermatologist? Or an allergy specialist? Or should I try and find a larger medical group office? I'm hoping to find someone who has a similar experience who can tell me what kind of doctor treated them.


Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.