Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Undiagnosed Chronic Rib Pain for 5+ years and other pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: matrixityneo3
  • June 27, 2010
  • 01:54 AM

For quite a lot of years I have had this random (worse with exercise or exurtion or stretching and lifting) sharp stabbing pain in my rib cage on the right and left
side. it started on the left side and has now progressed to the right side. Nothing in particular started it. It just started one day and I ended up in the ER in
excruiating pain. I also have carpol tunnel in both wrists and hands.
Tests that have been done:
2 MRI's
1 Cat-scan
CBC (blood tests)
Bone scan
multiple xrays
nerve blocks (they blocked nerves and made some parts of my skin numb but that's it)
gallbladder removed (they thought it was not working so they took it out, same pain before and after)
antinflammatory pills (lots of kinds)
anti biotics
hydrocodone/vicodin/loratab (for pain)
Conditions it is NOT:
lung diseases (all ruled out with mri)
gallbladder issues or surgery complications
kidney diseases
stomach ulcers
Conditions it might be:
Rheumatoidd Arthritis ( I do have pain in my wrists/hands and sometimes feet and knees depending on the day)
lupus? I DOUBT IT.....
costocondritus (ruled out since I have taken lots of antinflammatory pills, but still possible, nothing shows up on scans.)
I have been hospitalized alot of times and the been to the ER too many times now.
I am 5'6" Used to be 150lbs but now 200lbs. Same rib pain no matter the weight. I do still eat the same since I used to weigh less.
Everything else is normal with me. I do not have any other problems, just the rib pain.
I have seen over 200 doctors (as recently as monday (june 21st 2010). Anywhere from family doctors to general surgeons and neurologists.
I've tried heat/cold, pills, different bras, pillows, bed positions and body munipulation.
I used to be in the Air Force but since physical activity makes it A LOT worse I had to seperate honorably.
If there is anyone out there that could have ANY answers please contact me. I am pretty desperate to find out what this is and NO doctor has been able to help me. Just
give me pills and tell me I have to live with it. This is very dibilitating and I am now unable to work or do anything until this is fixed. Any help from doctors out
there or anyone that knows about this or where to go from here would be very helpful...
Thank you in advance.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.