Discussions By Symptom: Edema

I think my family suffers from hypoalbuminemia. What kind of doctor do I seek out?

Posted In: Edema 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 11, 2014
  • 10:35 PM

My brother, my sister and I all suffer from bad swelling in our legs and overall water retention in our bodies. Recently my brother and I have been seeing a reconstructive massage therapist, him for his ankles and me for my knees. She says that the type of swelling happening in our legs reminds her of edema, and that based on what she can feel through her massage work, my brother carries about over 100 lbs of extra water weight in his body that's just sitting there. My brother is 32 and I am 22 and my sister is 29. We believe that for some reason, none of our bodies get and properly process albumin from our regular diets. My whole side of my dad's family is prone to this kind of swelling and water retention, especially in our legs. Now, I've tried seeing a doctor about this before and the only advice I could get out of him is to lose weight through diet and exercise. While this past year I have been doing my best to exercise more and eat healthier, I should mention that my sister is quite the health nut and participates in bike marathons yearly, and she still has this same swelling both my brother and I do and still carries the appearance of someone who is overweight due to the water retention. I am worried most about my brother, because out of all of us he is at most risk. His ankles some days will swell up to the size of small cantaloupes. What kind of doctor or specialist must I seek out who will listen to this issue that seems to be genetic in my family?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.