Discussions By Condition: Urinary conditions

UTI won't go away!

Posted In: Urinary conditions 98 Replies
  • Posted By: jsruby
  • February 17, 2007
  • 05:50 PM

Maybe by sharing my story someone who has gone through the same can help me out.

I have had a UTI for the past 3 months, had all sorts of tests - no cysts, no kidney stones, no chlamydia. Im female, 29. When I first went in for the infection (the UTI wasn't full blown, didn't hurt too much) they tested my urine there and said I had an infeciton.

After antibiotics didn't work I had a urine culture (3 days later) my results showed slightly high white blood cells, no bacteria. Went on more antibiotics. Still had UTI symptoms. Then I started to get lower back pain, thought it was kidney infection.. but now I don't think so since it isn't my kidneys that hurt, it is much lower, I think it is from taking all these different antibiotics.

My most recent urine test showed no infection at all (I had been on antibiotics 3 days prior). I still had lower back pain, a little pain after urination.

I stopped taking antibiotics for 2 weeks and just 2 days ago I got a full blown UTI, very painful (I have had many UTIs in the past and it is exactly the same). I went back on antibiotics (Nitrofurantoin). Now I can't tell if it is going away or not.

I hate taking all these antibiotics, the docs tell me to stop but at the same time they don't tell me what it is. A major problem is that im in a foreign country for some months and I don't speak the language well.

Please anyone with similar experiences contact me by clicking on my name above or jsruby22 -at- yahoo -dot- com

Reply Flag this Discussion

98 Replies:

• I kind of have a similar problem but i had gotten one last year and ever since they go away and come back and will not stop. its driving me nuts!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 19, 2007
    • 05:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It seems like the bacteria may still be in your body, the antibiotics didn't clear it completely. Have you tried taking another type of antibiotic. I hear that cranberry pills and acidophollis pills can help.
    jsruby 9 Replies
    • February 19, 2007
    • 05:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I posted this in the other topic but I thought I could help. My wife suffers from constant UTI her whole life but it was terrible last year when she was hospitalized twice due to inflammation of her kidneys because of the infection. I was really concerned and I had to find a way through natural means because when she had a urine culture she was only sensitive to two antibiotics. That's when I stumbled on a product called d-mannose. It's a simple sugar that binds the E.coli so that it flushes away the bacteria through the urine. I was skeptical at first so I bought a tub for trial. I gave it to my wife and after following the dosage, we were pleasantly surprised that when she got the results of the urine culture, there was no growth as in zero for the first time in many years!! All of this without the need for antibiotics. If you're skeptical or afraid to try to treat your UTI without antibiotics, you could take this with antibiotics. It won't interact. For more info, you could do your own research on this by visiting waterfall-d-mannose.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2007
    • 01:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi, JsrubyIt might be a good idea to test urine culture for antibiotic sensitivity. There are different antibiotics that may be used for UTI management. Sometimes long-term treatment with antibiotic may be necessary the clear up the infection. Also, do you know what triggers you UTI? If you refuse to take antibiotic, you can try to avoid possible risk factors and consider herbal remedies.I found the following folk recipe for UTI: Mix 2 tbs. cinnamon and 2 tbs. honey with a little warm water and drink. Do this 4 times in a 48 hour.Maybe the combination of antibiotic, self-care techniques and some natural remedy would be beneficial.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • YOU MUST GET ON A PROBIOTIC ASAP. Buy the best quality probiotic you can find and buy it in capsule form. Take this orally and also insert 1-2 capsules in your vagina each night for 2 weeks minimum. I know you are not having vaginal symptoms, but the antibiotics have ravaged your flora, and you need to build it back up. Please try this it works wonders and will really help your UTI symptoms! Why on earth did they give you more antibiotics when your tests showed no bacteria?!? I get so angry at docs who throw antibiotics at us. Yes, they can be helpful in certain cases, but if you don't have a bacterial infection they will cause much more harm then good. jipre: good suggestion. d-mannose is also antifungal and helps candida symptoms. Candida is most definitly a concern as it proliferates after antibiotic use. Threelac is another product I recommend for candida. UTI's aren't always bacterial, folks. Chronic UTI's are often caused by candida fungus. And an antibiotic is the worst thing you can take for this...hence the chronic nature of this condition. Please visit www.candidasupport.org for more info on candida. And please take the probiotic and also insert it vaginally - let me know how this helps.Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you very much. I have been taking probiotics. I stopped the antibiotics.I think I have finally figured out what my problem. I think I have pelvic floor dysfunction or chronic pelvic pain. It can also be interstitial cystitis. It can be relieved through pressure on trigger points. http://www.ic-network.com/iclifestyles/april02.htmlI have begun this and it seems to be helping. I may go to a physical therapist also.
    jsruby 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • At age 59, I got my first taste of a UTI at the end of April. They gave me Bactrim, which did nothing. They gave me Cipro, which made it go away immediately. I'd had a uranalysis which indicated everything was normal (within normal ranges) - the doctor prescribed meds based on 'symptoms' not baterial evidence.Two weeks ago this 'thing' came back. Instead of prescribing Cipro, I got Cephalexin this time, which did nothing after 7 days. Three days ago, the doctor prescribed Cipro again, which I have been taking and not getting the relief I got the first time? Pain is bad, and it doesn't seem to be working. I'll do some research on probiotic that I read in a prior post. I'm getting desperate. How does one work and carry on with life with this 'thing' hanging on and ON.
  • do you get them related to sex? if so consider the fleshlight. also my grandma used to get chronic utis until she started taking one cranberry pill a day.
  • I decided to drink lots of water and take cranberry pills to get rid of a nasty UTI that came from intercourse and using a Vagisil product beforehand (bad bad idea ladies). I am trying to avoid taking an antibiotic because I get UTI's a couple times a year and the last time I took them it seemed the UTI came right back when I was done with the dose. Then I took AZO and it went away.So far so good. I had been taking Azo to deal with the pain, but today the pain is gone and my urine is clear and smell free. Has anyone else been able to flush out a UTI with water and cranberry pills and juice?A bit worried that maybe it will come back or get worse, but for now I am much much better. So any experiences you share would be great.
  • I would definately reccomend that anyone with this problem see a Urologist. I had my first UTI in April and was given antibiotics at my student health center. I kept feeling bad, went back and they gave me Cipro. I still didn't have any luck so I went back again and asked for a urine culture. In the meantime, my family doctor gave me meds for yeast infection to see if it would clear up. Still no luck. When the culture came back the nurse practitioner told me I probably had an over-active bladder and wanted to put me on Ditropan. I said, "NO WAY," and had my boyfriend take me to the emergency room because I was miserable and was starting to have back pain. At the ER they tested my blood for kidney problems, pregnancy, and a bunch of other stuff. Everything came back negative. They told me I had honeymoon cystitis and gave me Ditropan XL (6 pills a day!!) to help deal with my symptoms until I could get in to see a urologist.A month later I had a bladder scan done at the urologist's office with his nurse and they found that I was unable to empty my bladder all the way. I had a very high amount of residual urine and was told to stop taking ditropan IMMEDIATELY. I did and they put me on a high dosage form of pyridium to ease my discomfort until I could go in for urodynamics testing. I was also told to avoid intercourse until I could see the doctor.7 weeks later, I was beginning to finally feel better and went in for my urodynamics test. The results came back and I was told that I was not retaining urine anymore. They told me I had a dysfunctional pelvic floor and needed biofeedback. My urologist said that 1 treatment should make me better again and that the Ditropan was the likely culprit of my intense discomfort and that it would take a while for me to feel 100% again.It has now been 2 weeks since the biofeedback and I still feel like I can't get rid of everything when I go and I still have some pain after intercourse. Does anyone know how long this is supposed to last? I want my life back!
  • I too have uti that won"t go away. I have had this for 7 weeks and been through 5 different antibiotics currently Cipro 500 bid. The burning cramping and pain are mentally and physically exhausting. Each time I go back to Md they tell me I have a different bacteria.I can't get an appointment with a urologist until August 15. I saw one urologist who seemed to blow off my problem by telling me it would be ok and did not even do a urine culture. Please help! Sometimes I get so depressed I just go to my room,lock the door and cry.I want my life back.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Ladies, Please:Repeated use of antibiotics is NOT going to help and in fact MAY MAKE THINGS WORSE. I cannot stress this enough. Antibiotics will strip EVERYTHING away and leave you with disrupted flora, which in turn can cause candida overgrowth and cause another UTI. Please consider treating your UTI's with something other than antibiotics - they are horribly overused for this problem, and often don't help.:confused: Also, if you HAVE taken repeated doses of antibiotics, you really need to get a PROBIOTIC and take this orally. I have found that if you also break open a capsule and insert this vaginally that it can help UTI symptoms tremendously. Get a probiotic with several strains of beneficial flora, at any good health food store or online at www.vitacost.com Find a more holistic doc who can help you with this. There are great Chinese herbs and Western herbs to help UTI's. If you have candida, then get some Threelac to get the candida under control, or try other candida cleanses like pau d'arco and oregano. Google candida and UTI's and see what you find. I had chronic UTI's about 8 or 9 years ago. There is nothing more uncomfortable and irritating than a UTI - believe me, I know! After getting acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine I haven't had one since, and when I do have symptoms I know what to do to get back in balance. Here are some helpful herbs for UTI:uva ursipau d'arcooregon grape rootparsleynettlesChinese patent formulas Ba Zheng San, and Shi Ling TangHomeopathic formula Cantharis It is always best to see a certified herbalist for this problem. Please just consider this - it is so much better than being miserable!Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • i feel scared because just like you i went to the doctors and didnt really have the full uti, yet. it was still early, &they gave me a antibiotic, and tomorrows my last day taking the antibiotic, and i still have it. i called them &told them but they told me to just take the last of the meds tomorrow, wait 2 days and come in to pee again. &they said if its not clear, then they will either give me another type of antibiotic, or have me checked. i am such a hypercondriact. :/ so i get so scared with whats wrong with me. sometimes i'll go pee, and it wont burn, then the next time i go it does. i dont get it. maybe its going away, sorda kinda?.i just get really scared, because i dont want to die.lol. i have anxiety, so this is why i am talkin this way.i get so scared.blondeshhxo@yahoo.comemail me please, with a reply. :] pleaseee.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 11:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had the same problem many many years ago. After suffering and seeing alot of different doctors it turned out the I had Interstitial Cystitis. It took me 8 years to get diagnosed and it was the most frustrating experience of my life. I did, however, learn one thing...don't let any doctors make you think its all in your head. You know when something is wrong and the pain that you're feeling. I would advise going to a Urologist that is experienced in dealing with IC patients. Even if it is just to rule that out. I've included a link to the Interstitial Cytitis Association. It is an excellent resource on all things related to IC. I truly hope that you get the help you need for your problem. I know what its like to suffer and I wouldn't wish that kind of pain on anyone. http://www.ichelp.org/welcome.html
    beccainvic 2 Replies
    • October 14, 2007
    • 06:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get UTIs all the time, but until last summer i got one and it has never really went away. Once i start feeling pain, i start drinking lots of water and kinda of flush it out within a couple of hours. However, if i dont drink a lot of water for about two days, the pain comes back. Its like a reoccuring UTI that is going on two years. My mom and i have a a bladder condition where our bladder muscles are weaker than usual, resulting in urinating without control. In other words, i cannot run or jump on trampoline without urinating. Also, if i do not cross my legs when coughing/sneezing/laughing, i will urinate. The operation that can fix this is only done whenever you are done having children, and i'm not even close to that, so right now i just have to live with that. I'm not sure if this bladder condition is associated whatsoever with my constant UTI but if anyone knows anything, please let me know!oh, i had a bunch of lab tests conducted about one week ago and the results showed a high platelet level, reoccuring mono, and of course, UTI. glucose levels fine, CNT levels fine as well. Thyroid shows normal. Would the high platelet count have anything to do with my UTI? Thank you!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2007
    • 07:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I get UTIs all the time, but until last summer i got one and it has never really went away. Once i start feeling pain, i start drinking lots of water and kinda of flush it out within a couple of hours. However, if i dont drink a lot of water for about two days, the pain comes back. Its like a reoccuring UTI that is going on two years. My mom and i have a a bladder condition where our bladder muscles are weaker than usual, resulting in urinating without control. In other words, i cannot run or jump on trampoline without urinating. Also, if i do not cross my legs when coughing/sneezing/laughing, i will urinate. The operation that can fix this is only done whenever you are done having children, and i'm not even close to that, so right now i just have to live with that. I'm not sure if this bladder condition is associated whatsoever with my constant UTI but if anyone knows anything, please let me know! oh, i had a bunch of lab tests conducted about one week ago and the results showed a high platelet level, reoccuring mono, and of course, UTI. glucose levels fine, CNT levels fine as well. Thyroid shows normal. Would the high platelet count have anything to do with my UTI? Thank you!! Try acupuncture - it will really help! Genitourinary disorders, including incontinence, are treated very effectively with acupuncture. Please try it! Best wishesDOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies
    • November 15, 2007
    • 06:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have had a bad infection for 3 weeks now. Symptoms seemed to go away after cranberry juice and capsules, however, returned when I lessened the amount of juice. Came back strong. I am trying antibiotics now but not having any luck yet. I have had a sensitive bladder in the past and often thought I had a UTI. I would test positive with the slip at the doctor's, but when the culture was done, it did not show bacteria. This led me to believe something else was going on. Eventually I cut out all caffeine, including chocolate, and this seemed to make a big difference, with problems only one or two days a month. I believe this is a true infection, but a culture will show for certain next week. In the meantime I am taking cran juice, capsules and probiotics to help out. I may try accupuncture and chiropractic as well, as my mother seemed to have success this way. Thanks to all those who made suggestions. I will keep refering to this. If nothing works for you, do try eliminating caffeine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 26, 2008
    • 00:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello, I just wanted everyone to know that Marshmallow Root Tea is amazing for the bladder lining. You can find it at health food stores.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2008
    • 05:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i have suffered from UTI's off and on for years. after i gave birth to my daughter they got progressively worse to the point where i could expect them right before my monthly. antibiotics would help but wouldn't actually get rid of them. i did some research and bought this stuff called D-mannose (a simple sugar) and take two capsules daily. i started them in june and have not had a bladder infection since. here's the site if you want to read up on D-mannose. i DO NOT sell this stuff and i'm not affliliated with the compnay, i just want to help. :) hope these help someone.http://www.d-mannose-utislip.com/
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2008
    • 01:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Here I am back again because I have the same symptoms again. So my first post was Feb 2007. In March 2007 I moved back to the US and saw a urologist, he put me on Elavil (Amitriptyline) and I took it for 3 months I think 25 to 50mg. After this and hardly having sex at all I felt all better. Now about a year and a half later I have the UTI symptoms again. I just got tested and there is no bacteria. It was brought on by having sex for a long period of time (1hr). Maybe I am allergic to the condoms too, not enough lubrication I guess. Anyhow, I am back on Elavil and in pain again. Such a disappointment I have to deal with this sh** again.I will have to tell my b.friend we can't have sex. This is going to ruin my sex life and relationships. Why me? Anyhow, Elavil makes me have dry mouth, racing heart and dizzy sometimes, so I am going to try Ditropan, but it is way more expensive!
    jsruby 9 Replies
    • December 10, 2008
    • 04:53 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement