Discussions By Condition: Spinal conditions

Retethered Spinal Cord

Posted In: Spinal conditions 7 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 15, 2007
  • 00:44 AM

I had surgery to untether my tethered spinal cord in 2004. Now I am having problems with my left leg. I experience sharp pain in the hip joint where my leg connects to my body. This leg is generally weaker than the other and often times I tend to drag that leg. I also have an area the size of my fist on my lower back below my surgery site that is completely numb. I am wondering if my spinal cord could have retethered.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• i have problems in the same area.i dont think i can help you,but if you do not mind could you please explain "tethered"and "untethered"to me?does it mean that the nerve has become stuck to its sheath?this would explain a lot!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 16, 2007
    • 06:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • my daughter is almost yrs. old and has had her detethering done 10 times. The symptoms return with the same vengance indicative of time for correction. each one has granted her great relief but unfortunately not forever. there have never been any major complications until this last one when she developed a spinal leak. However that was taken care of and she was back to "normal" soon. I have a concern with her chronic pain--not debilitating but intrusive enough to cause her to stop activities. Her left leg is also more involved and yet those symptoms seem to be uncommon..Do you have any ideas if that is the case??
    mtedesco 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • My daughter is 5 years old and has the detethering of her spinal cord done only one time. She was 3 months old then. Is there anything I should be watching for? The Doctors told me you never know how long the surgery will last before she has to have it done again. I know what the doctors say to watch for but I would like a parents point of view on this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2007
    • 08:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • How did you get the doctors to take you seriously? It might be coming to light here...how often do doctors become easily distracted when there's another 'easier' path to diagnosis, a 'buffer zone' , or the like.? I've had symptoms of tethered cord all my life (I'm 35), but slipped epiphyses (" slipped hips"), subsequent surgeries, eventual hip replacement became the catch all for diagnosis/treatment. How long do many of you endure the symptoms before something "goes" and becomes permanent?
    Carla Mc 2 Replies
    • October 10, 2007
    • 02:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I was reading about possible re-tetherering of your cord (sorry) and i believe I may have the same problem. I had surgery January 2007 for tethered cord and although for a bit I seemed better, I am now slowly returning to the way I was prior to my surgery-in horrible pain & unable to sit or walk for more than a few minutes. I really never had any follow up after my surgery, I am on medi-cal and my surgeon was actually out of my network & accepted me as a patient regardless of this. Unfortunately, my dr. is now retired, and i am at a loss as to where to turn next? thanks for reading.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2007
    • 03:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello my name is Daniele i'm 32 years old and i live in Roma.(excuse but i don't speack english well)I am writing because 'I read what you wrote on the blog Brain comunities Talk about tethered cord. I wanted to ask you something abaut it ?.... If you have recovered from the problems after the operation. We ask this because i have just been diagnosed retethered a cord and i have symptoms : weakness in the legs, bladder problems and foot cable. I was made to the birth of sacral meningocele and fortunately I have not had any serious problems. Then at the age of 15 years have been made of tethered cord Gaslini hospital in Genoa ..... You can tell me something about it (retethered)?---- We are infinitely grateful if you can give me clarifications about ... Good luck Daniele greetings
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • HelloI am 41 years old and I have had only 2 surgeries, but I believe I need another one. This is the first time I have had anyone with so many surgeries not have a terrible outcome. Some cannot walk anymore, pain, so on so on. I didn't catch how old your daughter is but with having 10 surgeries I am impressed with how well she is doing. I have not been able to go back to work after my last surgery one year ago. I have great results right away following my surgery, however this last time I do now have some urinary retention. I do think I am tethered again due to my symptoms, leg weakness, headaches daily, back pain, the list goes on. How old is your daughter? My NS has always told me that if you are having symptoms then have the surgery before something that cannot be reversed comes along such as loss of bladder and bowel control, or loss of functioning legs. The other people I have heard from say the have been told to wait wait wait, and then it seems by the time they have the surgery they have lost the ability to walk, or they cannot control bowel or bladder. I also wonder what your NS tells you? does he want to do the surgery before something worse happens? And does he ever say no more surgeries??? I would love to hear back from you with answers to these questions. I have been waiting so long to hear that someone has had so many surgeries without a terrible outcome. What a blessing it has been to get to find you.Micheleyep
    micheleyep 1 Replies
    • October 8, 2011
    • 04:55 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement