Discussions By Condition: Gastrointestinal conditions

Gerd, possible IBS & female symptoms?

Posted In: Gastrointestinal conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 13, 2007
  • 05:35 PM

Ok, so here’s what’s been going on. About a year ago, in March of 2006 I was having symptoms of an UTI (frequent urination, burning with urination etc). Seen a doctor, who insisted that she test for STD’s as well as perform a PAP, all of which came back negative. A month later I returned to the same doctor with the same symptoms, which had become worse. She then gave me a three day antibiotic and sent me home when urinalysis showed blood in my urine. The symptoms persisted and again a month later I was looking for another doctor because after three months with that one, she hadn’t done anything.
Shortly after leaving that office I was taken into urgent care where another urinalysis was performed and blood was again in my urine. There was also mention of a slightly elevated white blood cell count. Again I was given an antibiotic which made no difference. During these visits I didn’t have insurance, so it was difficult for me to see a doctor. By the time I was taken into urgent care, I applied and was approved for state medical assistance, which only seemed to make things even more difficult as I was having a hard time finding any doctors that would see me.
Finally I found another doctor, by this time I had had these symptoms for about 4 or 5 months, along with several others. I still had the frequent urination and burning, but my periods were becoming increasingly abnormal and I was swelling around my left hip. By the time I hit the six month mark majority of the urinary symptoms had subsided, but they were replaced with other symptoms such as swelling in my left hip, hip and leg pain as well as lower back pain. I was having sudden pains from my right side down into the pelvic region which would go as fast as they came on. I also started getting severely bloated when I ate which was causing me to not eat as much because I was feeling fuller faster. By six months these symptoms had worsened, I lost about 15 pounds (I’ve been at 98 for as long as I can remember) which I’ve only gained about 8-10 back.
During that six month period I was finally sent for an U/S of my lower left abdomen, as well as a pelvic etc. Everything seemed fin with the exception of having several ovarian cysts in both ovaries. The doctors wrote my problems off as being caused by the cysts, however the symptoms persisted even though an U/S about a month later showed no cysts whatsoever, only some fluid. Back to square one again.
Since then U/S show nothing, come fluid in the cul-de-sac, but otherwise nothing. Xray of my left hip showed up nothing abnormal. Hormone levels came back normal, PAP was normal etc. Urine samples still show blood for some reason.
My Ob/Gyn attempted an endometrial biopsy which she wasn’t able to perform due to the opening being too narrow, so she instructed me to see a GI doctor. Had the appointment with the GI doctor who immediately sent me for an EGD and Colonoscopy. Went for the EGD and Colonoscopy yesterday and have already been told that I have Gerd and possibly IBS. The GI doctor also said they had to fill my bowel with air because there was kink in it that he couldn’t get the instrument through (Talk about painful afterwards). I’ll have to wait until Friday, Monday at the latest, before I can find out anything from those biopsies.
Now I’m confused… how did I go from having everything start because of the cysts, to having those disappear and the symptoms get worse? What’s with the kink in the bowel that he mentioned… wouldn’t something like that have been there since birth?

Has anyone had problems and/or symptoms like this?

I’ve also made other posts on here regarding my other symptoms which is labeled “UTI's, Ovarian Cysts and L.Q.Abdominal Swelling” if anyone wants to read more. I’ve had a problem with the ovarian cysts in the past, but nothing like what I’ve been going through this past year. Also, in this past year I’ve started developing lumps, the first of which was in my right breast. I had a biopsy done on that and it came back as Fibroadenoma. Since the biopsy I found another smaller lump near the first, as well as one under my chin. None of these things were a problem prior to this last year, which makes it very concerning for me. Like I said, this has been going on for a year now and gets worse with every passing day, but doctors don’t’ seem to be as concerned as I am, which is only adding insult to injury.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this or is it just me?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement