Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

sensations demanding movement

Posted In: Muscle conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 29, 2006
  • 00:34 PM

For at least 18 months I have had sensation in my left leg and lower left back/hip that are only relieved by walking. I have a history of facet rhizotomy 33 years ago (one of first done in this country) and doing many interventions myself to ease back discomfort. About 15 months ago i started seeing doctors to diagnose and treat radiculopathy down the leg and into the foot on the left side. 30 sessions of physical therapy and thirteen epidurals both transforamenals and facet joints and one in the SI later, I have no pain but continue to have this sensation in the area of the buttock above the hip joint and sometimes down the leg. I have tried to describe it as "gotta move" syndrome, irritation, and a form of pain. It's difficult to explain it. All I know is that I must get up and walk. I've taken tramadol for 15 months (now up to 300 mg. day) and am currently on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia, also. I've been to a neurologist, a phys. rehab. physician (botox in piriformis), a neurosurgeon and currently see an osteopathic physician who does manipulation. All of of them frown and don't seem to understand the sensations which keep me up at night walking. Have you heard of this? Thanks you for this opportunity.

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• It seems like regular, ordinary leg muscle restlessness. If not that, i don't know what it is...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 8, 2006
    • 11:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • osteopathic physician who does manipulationis this what i think it is
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 9, 2006
    • 03:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This sounds like restless leg syndrome???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • For at least 18 months I have had sensation in my left leg and lower left back/hip that are only relieved by walking. I have a history of facet rhizotomy 33 years ago (one of first done in this country) and doing many interventions myself to ease back discomfort. About 15 months ago i started seeing doctors to diagnose and treat radiculopathy down the leg and into the foot on the left side. 30 sessions of physical therapy and thirteen epidurals both transforamenals and facet joints and one in the SI later, I have no pain but continue to have this sensation in the area of the buttock above the hip joint and sometimes down the leg. I have tried to describe it as "gotta move" syndrome, irritation, and a form of pain. It's difficult to explain it. All I know is that I must get up and walk. I've taken tramadol for 15 months (now up to 300 mg. day) and am currently on Cymbalta for fibromyalgia, also. I've been to a neurologist, a phys. rehab. physician (botox in piriformis), a neurosurgeon and currently see an osteopathic physician who does manipulation. All of of them frown and don't seem to understand the sensations which keep me up at night walking. Have you heard of this? Thanks you for this opportunity.Somtimes we tend to overanalyze our symptoms. It could simply be that over the past 33 years with this back condition, that the system is wearing down, i.e. you Lumbosacral Spine is becoming highly arthritic...and this could be causing you your leg pain/radiculopathy and the needing to "get up and move around". It sounds like the problem is L4-5 and L5-S1 (depending on where exactly your symptoms are) on the left. A classic symptom of arthritis - the inability to stay in any one position for a great length of time. At least consider this to be a possibility. Have you tried Aquatic Physical Therapy? If not, do so immediately, as it should help to take pressure off your clearly taxed Lumbar Spine. Also, FULL CONTACT foot orthotics could be of benefit...not the hard orthotics that a Chiropractor or Podiatrist would prescribe...My recommendation: 1)Aquatic Physical Therapy; 2)Full contact foot orthotics by SoleSupports. www.solesupports.comI am in no way affiliated with them, but I wear them and it has alleviated all of my foot/ankle/knee pain and I commonly use them for my patients with back pain and the like.Chris
    ChrisFloridaPT 29 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement