Discussions By Condition: Thyroid conditions

Help! No One Believes Me Because My Tests Keep Coming Back 'Normal'

Posted In: Thyroid conditions 82 Replies
  • Posted By: dolcevita256
  • January 31, 2007
  • 03:20 PM

I have been to about five different doctors for symptoms that have been going on for about seven years. Each doctor tells me I have something different. However, I think it is hypothyroidism and it seems to be getting worse. I am really frustrated and stressed out because of my continuing symptoms. Is it possible to have hypothyroidism, but have 'normal' test results?

Reply Flag this Discussion

82 Replies:

• I have been to about five different doctors for symptoms that have been going on for about seven years. Each doctor tells me I have something different. However, I think it is hypothyroidism and it seems to be getting worse. I am really frustrated and stressed out because of my continuing symptoms. Is it possible to have hypothyroidism, but have 'normal' test results?Have you tried alternative medicine?I started reading books on my own and researching on Meridian Therapy. I am now taking control of my undiagnosed condition and getting ready to see an acupuncturist.I am not saying not to try to find a diagnosis- but think about all the time we spend trying to get an appointment, seating on the waiting room, driving to the hospital, filling prescription, having tests done to us (ouchh), etc. We could be proactive and figure out how much protein our body needs (and how much is toxic), what changes we can make in order to help the body heal, are we drinking enough water?, inventory our diets and see what kind of deficiencies we have, etc.Diagnosable diseases don't happen overnight. We can reverse many conditions. I did not buy into the Psychiatric label. Soon enough my liver started to show problems. I knew there was nothing "mental" about me.Let me know if you are interested- I an give you the name of couple of books I am using.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 31, 2007
    • 03:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much. What you said is very true. It's nice to know that someone understands my frustration. You know they told me to see a psychiatrist too and I did to humor the doctor. When I went to see the psychiatrist she couldn't understand why I was there. She said that there is nothing wrong with me mentally and that I should find a better doctor!
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 00:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you so much. What you said is very true. It's nice to know that someone understands my frustration. You know they told me to see a psychiatrist too and I did to humor the doctor. When I went to see the psychiatrist she couldn't understand why I was there. She said that there is nothing wrong with me mentally and that I should find a better doctor!It's me (unregistered).Allopathic doctors are very arrogant and they won't treat you w/o asking you to pay for all kind of expensive testing. Testing is often dangerous and unsafe and might not say very much about what is making you sick. The funny thing is that they can not operate with those test, which by the way, hav enot been around for long. Even if they find a mass or something inside, that alone would not cause all the problems and still there would not be an explanation on what made it happen or how to reverse it.My doctor won't make any comments and she dismisses my observations. She wants to run the same test again-and she wants to run a test for Lupus, because my spouse suggested it.I believe in the theories of toxic overload, the concept that there is only one sickness: cellular dysfunction. Cellular dysfunction happens for 2 reasons: toxicity in the body or deficiency of nutrients.To eliminate toxins you need to exercise with yoga or other gentle technique, get fresh air, 20 minutes of sunlight everyday (directly and w/o glasses), use the sauna as often as possible because it pushes the mercury and other poisons out of your cells ( I am starting sauna this weekend).I follow 3 different diet theories which I have consolidate them into the best that works for me. Raymond Francis' theory on diet, Eat Right for your Type (Allergies) by Dr. D'Adamo, and the recommendations for Lupus on this website, from Walter Last.http://users.mrbean.net.au/~wlast/lupus.htmlI am also going to visit an acupuncturist. It is going to be an initial 2 hours evaluation and initial treatment! haha No doctor have ever spent that much time with me. I'll pay less than $200. The acupuncturist already told me how to prepare for the first appointment and asked me to bring all my dietary supplements so she can evaluate them. Detox, Discipline, Serenity, Love and Laughter.Peace!Best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 05:36 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi- I want you to know you are not alone. I have shown symptoms of hypothyroidism since I was 10. I have had a blood test done almost every other year. The doctors always told me that my TSH was elevated, but it is ok I would grow out of it. Well I am 22 now and was finally diagnosed in Sept of '06. I am told that some have a "normal" TSH, but their anti-bodies were extremely high. So that means if your TSH is 2.3 (which is a pretty good number for most) but if your anti-bodies were over 35(mine were 185) that means you have a thyroid problem, it's calld Hashimoto's. Many feel hypo symptoms the higher their anti-bodies are, even though their TSH is "fine". I don't know if you have already, but you should ask for your tests and make sure they do or did a thyroid globulin test, T4 and T3. Take these to an endo, and hopefully the you will get some help. But in the mean time, I wanted to tell you that for awhile I took coconut oil(virgin) and I felt a better. Hope I was of some help.
    crazybrazy 30 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you! I am so frustrated, but I have a follow-up doctor's appointment tomorrow. The doctor thinks it's anxiety (again), but he told me that it's not likely that I have multiple illnesses, that it is more likely that I have one illness causing all or most of the symptoms. I am going to use that to argue my case and see what happens. Update:I went to the doctor and convinced him to do all the tests for thyroid problems (and some other autoimmune tests). He said that the odds are 1 in 10,000 that I have a thyroid problem because my TSH is 'normal'. He also, told me that he doesn't think that I will be happy unless something is wrong with me.
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 4, 2007
    • 10:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am sorry you have to put up with a doc like that. Let me know when you get your test results back. Maybe I can be of some help to what it says.Oh and I wanted to add that most people with hypothyroidism have depression, or at least told that is their problem. I was on some meds for it myself before I was finally diagnosed! I also know of many that had that same thing happen. I hope you get an answer soon. Also, even if your anti-bodies are fine, you could still have hypo-t. It just depends on your body. I remember that my doctor did an prolactin test on me at first to see if my pituitary glad was over stymulated, it was. That is what sends your thyroid the "signal" or TSH, to produce more thyroid hormones.Feel better.
    crazybrazy 30 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 07:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thank you! I am so frustrated, but I have a follow-up doctor's appointment tomorrow. The doctor thinks it's anxiety (again), but he told me that it's not likely that I have multiple illnesses, that it is more likely that I have one illness causing all or most of the symptoms. I am going to use that to argue my case and see what happens. Update:I went to the doctor and convinced him to do all the tests for thyroid problems (and some other autoimmune tests). He said that the odds are 1 in 10,000 that I have a thyroid problem because my TSH is 'normal'. He also, told me that he doesn't think that I will be happy unless something is wrong with me.Have you done anything so far to change your condition? If the doctor is too dumb to know that you are sick, he might be too dumb to know what kind of treatment is going to rehabilitate you.No doctor is going to costume make your health regime.You have to research on how to cure yourself. A prescription is no magic bullet.Use doctors as much as you need them, but remember that they are not a path to health.*When you are sick, you are sick all over, not just in one organ. Disease always have more than one trigger. You have to evaluate everything.It takes a disease some time to progress into something that is "visible" in the blood. Don't wait- act now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 08:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I know, I'm not going to hold my breath. My test results (the only tests) from last year are: TSH- .71 and Free T4- .99, which the doctor told me both are right in the middle of the normal range. Brazy any insight?
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 7, 2007
    • 08:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I wish your doc would have done your anti-bodies level last year. I do have some more questions for you. What exactly are your symptoms?Trouble losing weight? Always tired?Weakness, in joints and muscles?Any extra facial hair growth?Do you have extremely dry skin?If you feel uncomfortable posting them here, you can e-mail me.In the mean time, I am a member of a thyroid community and I will ask those there what they say.
    crazybrazy 30 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 00:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes to everything and some other symptoms too. I have hair loss, brittle nails, moodiness, forgetful, irregular periods even though I'm on the pill, eye tics, puffiness in my face and eyes, constant infections, sore throat (I always feel like I have something caught in my throat), migraines, yawning (with chest tightness, sometimes I feel like I'm not getting enough air!), and ringing in my ears. That's not all of them but they are the main and most annoying ones.
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 00:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes to everything and some other symptoms too. I have hair loss, brittle nails, moodiness, forgetful, irregular periods even though I'm on the pill, eye tics, puffiness in my face and eyes, constant infections, sore throat (I always feel like I have something caught in my throat), migraines, yawning (with chest tightness, sometimes I feel like I'm not getting enough air!), and ringing in my ears. That's not all of them but they are the main and most annoying ones.If you feel like you have a lump in your throat, and you feel tightness and irregular periods, that is your liver. Research on Liver Qi Stagnation. Lost of hair, I think but I am not sure it is the spleen.Take Care.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 01:02 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• It is not the liver. Get a hormone profile done. It is not the spleen either. Where are you getting that from???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 07:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My doctor ordered ten tests, most of which were for the thyroid. He also ordered an ANA test (for lupus) and some other test for rheumatoid arthritis. I'll have my test results back by the middle of March. Does anyone know if taking birth control would affect the results?
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 00:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Got another question for you.The test's that were done last year, is that everything that was written on them, or does it have referance ranges or anything else, like a doctors note? I am working on finding something for you, until you get your other tests back.I just thought that if you want some others to help, try this website out www.thyroidhost.proboards30.comIf not I will help the best I can.
    crazybrazy 30 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 03:42 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Check out www.wilsonssyndrome.com I had ALL they symptoms for hypothyroid, but my local doc kept saying nothing was wrong and sent me to a psychiatrist. I told him everything that was going on and he said, "You aren't crazy, you need an endocrinologist". So, I went and sure enough, even though my tests came back "normal", I was hypo. I was on Synthroid for YEARS and although it helped some it wasn't helping with all of the symptoms. I then researched Wilson's syndrome and talked my doc into giving it a try. I have been on it now for over 4 years, have been able to lose 75 pounds, have more energy, feel great, sleep well, no muscle aches, hair isn't falling out like crazy anymore, and my lab work comes back wonderful every year. I really recommend that you look into finding a doc in your area that is listed on the Wilson's Syndrome site. There are a lot of docs out there that don't "believe" in hypothyroidism or Wilson's Syndrome. Best wishes to you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 06:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I haven't actually seen the results, my doc read them to me and assured me that they fell into the normal range, which is what always happens when ever I get tested. I honestly, do not think I have ever physically seen any test results because normally the doctor calls or I call and ask what the results are.
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 07:21 AM
    Flag this Response
  • This next set of tests, try to get the results. Another test you should have done is an ultrasound of your thyroid, because of your throat being soar and feeling like something is in it. I also have another website for you www.endocrineweb.com
    crazybrazy 30 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 08:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://www.compassionateacupuncture.com/chinese__medical__dietary__recom.htm#LIVER_QI_CONSTRAINT__(Liver_Qi_Stagnation)Hello Dolce- I see you are still searching for the root of your discomforts.I would strongly recommend you an acupuncturist, as they tend to listen more and understand that health is about day by day quality of life.I wish you a buona vita!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 06:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Grazie. I appreciate everyone's help. I am very frustrated and I just feel that all my efforts have proven futile thus far. It's very disheartening.:(
    dolcevita256 19 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 00:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • eatafruit78- I like your advice. Very grounded in the common sense area as far as dealing with illness. Let us know how it goes for you.hollyb
    hollyb 8 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 05:45 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement