Discussions By Condition: Nose conditions

Killer cough condition

Posted In: Nose conditions 12 Replies
  • Posted By: BUMHAWK
  • January 29, 2007
  • 07:54 PM

I've been in dry 20 below wind chill factor breezes lately along with a stubborn cough that inflicts these conditions: green mucous cough ups that makes one dizzy to the point of almost passing out while coughing with a re-occuring sore throat. Otherwise, it's not like the flu or common cold, just a frightning coughing event. I have smoked for years and never had this condition. Could this be some form of lung disease or start of lung cancer? I saw a clinic doctor, he only suggested asthma and cough suppressive medicine. Any other suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• i am the same and i only sit next to you when you are smoking.you will not have noticed me. i am the person who gets up and leaves when you come in smoking. ever wondered why there is always a space around you?now you know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 07:13 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You must be really suffering, I'm sorry. I'm also sorry that the person making the other coment doesn't have the decency to not pick on a sick person. It is shameful the way people act. Any way back to your problem. It sounds like broncitis, or pnemonia. I had pneomia several times and broncitis only once, but the sickest I've ever been in my life was the one time I had bronchitis. The cough was like you describe and relentless. I have recently been diagnosed with lung cancer and so I have read every thing on the net lately, and you probably don't have lung cancer. The cough that comes with lung cancer is largley unproductive (not coughing any thing up). When some thing is coughed up it could have traces of blood in it if it was lung cancer. I think you should ask you Dr about an x ray just to rule any really ugly things out. I, ironicly had quit smoking 2 weeks before I was diagnosed, but I never could have done it with out the newest quit smoking pill. It is called "Chantix". It is pretty expencive, but not any more so than the cigs! Also if you are low income you can get it free through the manufacturer. https://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/assets/connectcareApp_English.pdf A few years back I developed a terrible cough and, after looking at my marlboro cigerett under a microscope, I switched to camels. My cough cleared up, and it had been going on for several months. Three friends of mine have had the same experience! So depending on your brand, you might want to switch if your not ready to quit. Please get a second opinion, bug your doc or what ever it takes, but don't let this cough keep going like it is. GOOD LUCK! I hope you get well soon!
    overworked1341 3 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 08:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • smokers "pick on"me every time i go out and that has been going on all of my life.any smoker with a cough has the remedy in his own hands. you cant expect me to take him seriously.our whole society runs on "picking on "of one sort or another,and if smokers dont notice that ,it is generally because they are the ones doing it.i didnt ask him to start.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2007
    • 11:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for everyone's help. My condition is clearing up with a roll-over midnight sleep dry cough , but no more sore throat and conjestion. It's a matter of time before all these aliments finally go away. I'll keep everyone informed to help others get over simular scares like I'm experiencing. I cut down on my smoking as well and have noticed I can breathe a ***l of a lot better.
    BUMHAWK 6 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 02:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • so can we.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 3, 2007
    • 05:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had broncitis and asthma at the same time in 2004 and had the same coughing spells. But if you had broncitis you would know it. It's like a real bad cold but worse. I still have the asthma, and will forever. And I still get the coughing spells that make me what to pass out. Had to lots of breathing treatments today. Not being able to take a breath with out coughing is no fun.Try the asthma meds and see if they help. Mark N
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 03:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • lol unregistered person 1, I totally agree. I can't wear again something I wear, if I stay in a smoke-free closed area more than 5 minutes, and nearly all cafes and restaurants are smoke free in my country. :/ not to mention the cough from ***l, for days after exposure to smoke in an area like that.. getting off topic here :s
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 10:40 PM
    Flag this Response
  • in britain we are due to go smoke free in all workplaces from july.but lots of people have stopped anyway.i think if i was doing something which was considered so dangerous to others that i had to be stopped by law,i would stop anyway.my lungs are shot due to a childhood spent with smokers ,it killed my mother and my father,and i am supposed not to comment?i sympathise with any addict,but what about people like me?the real crooks however,are the tobacco manufacturers.they target africa,asia and south america now,the swine.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 01:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It's been almost over a month since these conditions persisted. Due to smoking, I still get conjested with day-old flu-like symptons. This will probably past with the weather since spring is just around the corner. I really never had a problem last summer that all this worry only started with the first deep freeze here in Pennsylvania . :cool: I found sinus medication worked the best through all of this. Hopefully all this mess will grow out of me soon.
    BUMHAWK 6 Replies
    • February 27, 2007
    • 02:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been in dry 20 below wind chill factor breezes lately along with a stubborn cough that inflicts these conditions: green mucous cough ups that makes one dizzy to the point of almost passing out while coughing with a re-occuring sore throat. Otherwise, it's not like the flu or common cold, just a frightning coughing event. I have smoked for years and never had this condition. Could this be some form of lung disease or start of lung cancer? I saw a clinic doctor, he only suggested asthma and cough suppressive medicine. Any other suggestions?Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with whooping cough which can last 3 months or so with coughing fits - yours sounds like it could be this. Some adults lose their immunity, and only half display the 'whoop' noise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I know this post is old, but reading I saw a lot of myself in it. I am an ex-smoker so roll your eyes and quit reading now. I dealt with coughing problems for years. When I quit smoking they went away quickly. I generally had bronchitis or pnuemonia every other year. Ismoked from the time I was 18 till I was 38. I quit two years ago. Most of that time, I smoked at least a pack of day, (Marlboro Lights if anyone cares). I miss smoking, if I could smoke a couple a day, I would still be smoking. But I can't, I am an addict. I don't miss hacking up half a lung every morning or being sick all the time. I was motivated to quit, and I found how on some hokey free web site where all you have to do is read there stuff. Be aware that repeated bronchitis and pnuemonia cause scarring and damage to the lungs, Lung cancer is fairly rare, emphesema and COPD are way more common, causing a much slower more debilitating death. If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired (sorry AA) look on the net and find how to quit. My partner used chantix, worked great. I didn't quit for a long time due to him saying he didn't want to. But when I said I was quitting, he went and got chantix and quit too. What works is different for every one, find it. If you are getting sick all the time maybee it's time to think about it. Alright, I'll get off my soapbox. I wish all of you good health and good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 20, 2008
    • 02:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hello...I think you must see a doctor for checking you up...but there's something I want to share you...please read...Symptoms You may not have any symptoms of lung cancer, or you may have symptoms such as a cough or shortness of breath that you think are related to a respiratory illness. As a result, only about 16% of lung cancers are diagnosed early when treatment is most effective.1 Symptoms of lung cancer may include: A new cough or a cough that does not go away. Smokers who have a chronic cough from smoking may have a change in how severe their cough is or how much they cough.Chest, shoulder, or back pain that does not go away and often gets worse with deep breathing.New wheezing.Shortness of breath.Hoarseness.Coughing up blood or bloody mucus.Swelling in the neck and face.Difficulty swallowing.Weight loss and loss of appetite.Increasing fatigue and weakness.Recurring respiratory infections, such as pneumonia.Clubbing of the fingers and toes. The nails appear to bulge out more than normal. Lung cancer may spread (metastasize) to other parts of the body. The most common sites are the bones, the brain, the liver, the other lung, the lining of the heart (pericardium), and the adrenal glands. When lung cancer spreads, other symptoms may also occur. Symptoms of cancer that has spread to the spine or bones may include: Bone pain.Weakness or numbness of the arms or legs.Back pain.Causes of Lung Cancer No one wants to hear that they have cancer but especially when that cancer is in a major and vital organ of the body such as the lung. We use our lungs every second of every day to breathe and keep us alive by carrying oxygen throughout our body. Cancer of the lung results from an abnormality of the cells in the lung. This is the same way that cancers anywhere else in the body work. The body is a complex organism made up of many different cells all working together, Cells are constantly dying, splitting and re-growing but sometimes things go wrong and cancers develop. When this happens in the lungs, it can greatly affect the lung’s ability to function properly. This abnormal growth is usually called a tumor and a tumor in the lung can cause serious problems. Lung cancer kills more men and women each year than any other type of cancer. It is made worse by cigarette smoking although many cases of lung cancer exist that are not directly related to smoking. Smoking greatly increases your chances of developing lung cancer, however. If you suspect you may have lung cancer, you should stop smoking immediately.
    silenthill 4 Replies
    • January 10, 2009
    • 07:32 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement