Discussions By Condition: Ear conditions

Plugged (fluid) ears, ear pain 4 months!

Posted In: Ear conditions 352 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 23, 2007
  • 04:57 AM

I feel like I'm going to burst. I've been on four different antiobiotics, a steroid pack, Claritin D, nasonex... you name it. Nothing has worked. My CT scan said I had chronic sinusitis (not major) surely from my left deviated setput... resulting in a maxillary infection.. probably causing the fluid/infection in my ears that will NOT go away. But it's not just that! I have literally had stabbing PAIN in my ears whenever I tilt my head (from the fluid, I'm sure) for about 4 months now. Everytime I go to the doctor he just puts me on a new antibiotic. Is this normal????? It's not allergies.... so what now????

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I don't have a reply, just want to say I am suffering from similar agony.Severe right ear pain, ear fullness crackling, many months of suffering7 courses of antibiotics, steriods, all the sprays etc. too - what is going on?One doctor saw my eustachian tube was swollen, but then it went down.Still have symptoms. Also have horrid neck pain on same side but not sure its related. CT scan showed blocked right osteomateal complex and CT of spine showed widespread degenerative disease. I am desperate - last doctor thought it might be neuropathy from virus and put me on Valtrex.Anyone know what to do- Like the previous poster I am desperate!Is there some sort of supervirus out there? I am in NJ>
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 00:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • No answer . I have same signs ear pain, ringing in ears, no ear infection. MRI negative. Ifyou have an answer plz email with answer teturner@comcast.net
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 11:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I came down with a upper respiratory virus at the end of December. It left me with fluid in the ears. My treatment included a Medrol pack, Rhinocort AQ, Sudafed, antibiotic, and Astelin Spray. Today I went back to ENT. He said there no longer was any fluid in the ears. Yet I am still experiencing a feeling of fullness in the ears at times. Also when I pop my ears, I get a mucus discharge. The ENT said that he thought my symptoms were caused by TMJ and/or allergies. I do have allergic rhinitis, but have never had fullness of the ears as a symptom. I believe that the virus inflamed my Eustachian tubes and the inflammation has not entirely abated. Interestingly I too live in NJ.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 14, 2007
    • 06:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've had a plugged ear for over 4 years! I have ringing and a sensation of congestion in my right ear. The ear nose and throat guy always just says I'm clear and that this is just some kind of a muscle spasm pain from going out in cold air. But why the sensation of fullness, the sinus drainage, and the discomfort that spreads down into my shoulder? I've come to believe that it is a combination of sinusitis and the muscle spasm thing. I don't know. One ear nose and throat person wanted to put a tube in my ear--I declined. Maybe it would've helped! I don't like to take sudaphed because it makes my blood pressure go up...any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 15, 2007
    • 04:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have it too! For a little over a month. I did a series of Cipro (8 days) and then a Z-Pack (5 days) and it's still there. It actually feels better when I'm outside in the cold. Mine is accompanied by a stomach ache and pain in my neck and shoulders. As well as a cold sweat about my neck. If my doctors (I'm going to two of them) figure it out, I'll let you know. Please do the same.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 02:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I posted earlier and still have the plugged ear. Both ears crackling-To the person in NJ - I just went to my 5th! ENT who diagnosed me with the sameTMJ nonsense- also blamed it on "cervical myalgia" because my neck is stiff on the same side. He sent me for physical therapy! where I was told it was not TMJ. They thought the neck pain came from putting my neck in bad position as a result of the ear pain!Interested to know what ENT diagnosed TMJ as cause of ear fullness-was it one of the Drs. from Central Jersey Otolaryngology?I was told I had an ear/sinus infection for months. Now all of a sudden its TMJ- is this what they are told to tell us if they can' t figure it out?I discovered I am allergic to outdoor mold and dust mites - anyone else? Never had this plugged ear thing- really had it with condition as well as the ENTs who have no interest in finding out the underlying reason we are suffering with this. I know the eustachian tube heals slowly. Anyone just have it finally go away after many months ? feeling very hopeless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 07:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Still have the problem and have been offered an ear tube. The ENT said my one ear was hypercompliant from popping it, however, the problem was therebefore I started popping it, so I am reluctant to do the tube. Even the dr. said it could make it worse. If anyone knows a doctor that can treat this, please email me a Lcorey@comcast.net.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • To person who asked about the ENT from NJ, the ENT is from Otolargnogology of Central NJ. I went back to my allergist, she was shocked that the ENT did not even scope the ET when he came up with his diagnosis.
  • Hi-Not sure who replied to this - but yes I went to that group last- My 4th or 5th ENT. They did not scope me either. However, prior to that I sawanother ENT in Monmouth County (Westerman) who did the scope and saweustachian tube swollen on the right side where the problem was. Unfortunately, after more steroids, sprays etc. I still have it. I went back and he scoped it again and said the swelling was less.Unfortunately, he is an older man who no longer does surgery. So, I went to Central Jersey where at first, I was mistakenly told I had TMJ. Then when the physical therapist I went to told the Central Jersey Dr. (Shah) that I didn't have TMJ, he said I could try an ear tube, though it may not work and may make things worse.My email is Lcorey@comcast.net . I see no sign this is going away and I'm losing my mind. Does anyone know an ENT that has experience with this?It is so distressing. I would have the tube in minute if I had a better idea that this was the proper fix.
  • I feel like I'm going to burst. I've been on four different antiobiotics, a steroid pack, Claritin D, nasonex... you name it. Nothing has worked. My CT scan said I had chronic sinusitis (not major) surely from my left deviated setput... resulting in a maxillary infection.. probably causing the fluid/infection in my ears that will NOT go away. But it's not just that! I have literally had stabbing PAIN in my ears whenever I tilt my head (from the fluid, I'm sure) for about 4 months now. Everytime I go to the doctor he just puts me on a new antibiotic. Is this normal????? It's not allergies.... so what now????I would warn you that harsh antibiotics such as Vankomyacin and some others can actually cause hearing loss or pain. Tread carefully on taking large quantities of anti-biotics.
  • This is absolutely true! Antibiotics, especially repeated courses, can cause all kinds of problems and lead to chronic ear "puffiness", deafness and worse. I would suggest anyone with chronic sinusitis and ear infections to look into the possibility of food intolerances and allergies. Get a good book on the subject and follow a rotation diet and see if this helps - remember it may take many months to see changes and get lasting results. A good approach to try is called N.A.E.T and is a combination of kinesiology and acupuncture. I have heard great things about this treatment, and am starting this next week. Also, a good TCM practitioner who can prescribe herbs would be very helpful for sinusitis and ear problems. It has been the only thing that has helped me, and I have in turn helped a lot of people with this problem. Best wishes.DOM
    acuann 3,080 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi, I live in Central Texas and have also experienced the plugged/clogged ears for years (over 2 years). Initially I did have some fluid left from a bad cold, but the full feeling did not go away when the fluid cleared up. Eventually it got to the point that I could not "manually" clear my left ear most of the time and the ENT proposed the tube after trying numerous drugs/antibiotics, etc. While I did have the same fullness in my right ear, I was still able to manually clear that ear so I did not get the tube in the right ear, just the left. The tube did help with the full feeling, although it would still flare up a bit when my allergies were really bad. Unfortunately, now that the tube has been out for nearly a year I have noticed that the fullness has been gradually getting worse again. So while I did enjoy the relief that the tube gave me, the fact that it was relatively short-lived is disappointing. I hope this helps some of you in your decision whether or not to get the tube.
  • Be prepared to lose your hearing unless you get acupuncture.AcuannDOM
  • I live in Toronto, Canada. Have had the ears plugged up for 2 months now. There is some fluid in the left ear. I am going back to the doc today as I have had throbbing sensation in left ear for 3 days, making it hard to sleep or relax. They think my eustachian tubes are clogged. I have also had nagging cough and mucus build up in throat and nose through out the two months. Experiencing some hearing loss as well. Anti-biotics twice, two different types of drops and sprays. Nothing helps. Felt better for about a week in late feburuary, and now its the same as it always was. This all started after a cruise in the caribbean, must be viral. Some posters are from NJ,a lot of people from NJ on the cruise maybe they brought it back.Please post if someone figures this out...I lost my patience a while back.
  • Hi- I am 15 and I also suffer from the full ness in my ears and headachs, but only since October. The first time I went to the fisrt ENT doctor he siad i suffered from estachinane tube disfunction, so gave me some sinus spray and told me to try it, and he made me a folloew up appiontment at his office, but with 2 different ENT doctors. The nose spary didn't work so, i went to the other ENT doctors and they said that I didn't have the tube disfuntion, that it was all in my imagionation and sent me to a nurologist. The nurologist said that I needed to go back to ENT. During all this I had 2CT scans, a hearing test , and a MRI. My hearing test came back normal and so did my mri ans ct scans. Finally my doctor made me an appointment with an ear specillist, he said that i suffered form Superior Canal Dishenecea, which is where the superior ear canal in the inner ear dosen't function like it should. So he put me on a low sodium and low caffine diet. I went back to see him and he ordered more CT scans, and to stay on the low sodium/ caffine diet. HE called today and said that The scans show very little sings of Superior Canal Dishencea, he said also to stay on the low sodium/ caffine diet. He said to come back and see him in a month and a half. IF there is any one out there who know how to stop my ears from hurting please reply, becease im so tired of suffering. Stephanie - Tennessee
  • I am experiecing the same symptons and it's been 5 weeks now. This ear pain and fullness just came out of nowhere. I went to a walk-in clinic and the doctor indicated I may have a dysfunctional Eustachian Tube as there was no sign of infection. A week later I went to my dentist who took x-rays of my jaw to see if the pain was actually in my jaw and not my ear. Everything looked fine. He prescribed a muscle relaxant (kind of sleeping pill) to see if perhaps I was grinding/clenching my teeth at night. Slept great for 10 days but condition never improved. His recommendation was to go to a ENT. I just went to see my family doctor today and in less than 2 minutes he said, "okay, let's try this". He prescribed Nasonex and asked that I follow-up with him in a week's time. If the Nasonex doesn't work he's referring me to a ENT. After reading all of your posts I do not feel very confident that the Nasonex or a ENT will solve my problem. I don't think I can put up with this for another week let alone 2 years. I don't understand how all this came about. I'm a healthy woman without any allergies. Why is this condition so difficult to diagnose and treat?DebbieToronto, Canada
  • I live in the Boston area. For almost a year now I have been suffering with blocked, throbbing ears and severe tinnitus. I have seen countless doctors in Boston and endured an equal number of tests. Last Friday, i sat with electrodes on top of my head and ears to record my brain waves - I have not heard back with results yet. I have tried prednisone, claritin, mucinex, singulair, hydrochlorothiazide, and numerous antibiotics. I am avoiding foods that I am sensitive to such as dairy and gluten. I was shocked to read the posts in this forum dealing with the same symptoms. Does anyone think it plausible that this condition could be the result of some sort of virus? There are several other women in my town who are suffering form the exact same symptoms. I am becoming extremely despondent over the thought of living like this for the rest of my life. Any thoughts on a virus as the culprit?
  • To the individual in Boston_I have the full painful ears (one worse than other) but no tinnitus- it just doesn't leave. One doctor, an infectious disease person, thought it may have been a virus but he wasn't too helpful I've seen so many ENTs and they don't understand why this is not resolving. I do have a pimple on the cartilage of the one ear that is worse that never seems to go away. What sort of doctor put electrodes on you? Why?I don't know anyone except those online going through this. I don't know what to believe and like you feel utterly desperate. Do you feel like it is getting better or worse? What have your doctors told you? I postedabove under the name Lidge. My email addresss Lcorey@comcast.net.I am running out of hope of this being figured out or cured and am just praying it goes away.
  • Just to let you know this isn't some east coast bug-I live in CA and have been suffering with an ear infection for almost two months. I used antibiotic drops, pseudephedrine, and I tried Claritan, skince I do experience Spring-time allergies--to no avil. My right ear alternates between being very moist and squishy to feeling dry and full. But whether moist or dry, I feel like my I'm hearing through cotton. During the squishy periods, I get green/gray thick discharge or pink tinged pus.This last week I started experiencing a high pitch tone in my right ear. I don't experience any pain--but I feel like jumping out of my skin in a crowd of people. I can't discern sounds easily. Is any one experiencing these symptoms also? This is maddening, and I'm troubled to read these posts and learn that so many people are getting no cure from the experts! I have my first ENT visit next week.
  • I'm Here in Md and have the ear and neck pain too. My neck had gone out 2 summers ago and I did 3 months of PT. I realized how unbalanced my body was and I couldn't even stand on one foot without falling over. I got a little better, but the neck pain never went away. Then other pains started to come. I have Avascular necrosis of the lunate bone (dead bone in my right hand) The blood somehow stopped going to it. I wear a brace (3 yrs now). But now my right shoulder is killing me and keeps me up. I was getting these facial spasms and my left eye would droop and then my ears started to hurt, but not too bad. The facial stuff went away, but the ear pain got worse and more frequent. I have pain like someone poking a needle in there and then when the sudden pain subsides, then they get itchy inside. I was told with my other symptoms that I might have Lymes, but tests came back negative. I had other symptoms I didn't list. My primary Doctor who probably had a "C" average in Med school said It's probably TMJ or my favorite diagnosis was that my symptoms were a precursor to a migraine. I went to an Infectious Disease doctor who gave me a list of foods to avoid for migraines and suggested I see a nuerologist who specializes in migraines. Not been yet, but the diet has helped with the migraines, not all the other symptoms though. The ID doc had said my migraines had exhausted my brain and caused miss informed signals to go to other parts of my body. He called them migraine variances. I looked it up and he was right, they are out there, but I just want the other ear, neck, wrist and all the other pain in the butt pains to go away. I do believe that foods can trigger certain things. My ear pain is back today and pizza is on my do not eat list for migraines. I couldn't resist, but now may be suffering the consequences. Good luck to all of you and I'm glad I could finally vent to others who may have a clue about the doctors out there who just want their paycheck.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement