Discussions By Condition: Pregnancy

No heartbeat

Posted In: Pregnancy 58 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 18, 2007
  • 03:09 AM

I went today for my first ultrasound. My LMP was 11/10/06 so this puts me at around 9 weeks. I have not even met with my doctor yet, but they sent me across town to get it done. A nurse preformed the ultrasound and said absolutely nothing to me the entire time. She didn't even let me see, although my husband was able to get a glimpse from across the room. She told me I was done and the doctor would call me if needed. Well the doctor's nurse did call and said that no heartbeat was detected, even though there was an embryo present. She says I'm possibly miscarrying, and I had blood work done today to check my hormone levels. I've had no bleeding, spotting, or cramping.

I guess I have two questions about this. The first is has anyone had an ultrasound with no heartbeat that later turns out okay? And the second is, is this silent treatment from the doctor, and the ultrasound tech normal? Should I look at finding a different doctor and get another ultrasound? (guess that was more than two questions)

Thanks!!

Reply Flag this Discussion

58 Replies:

• You should be treated better than that. Someone should be there to answer your questions immediately! The tech is legally not allowed to say anything. I would go to the office now and ask to speak to a doctor and explain the situation.
    mamalion 2 Replies
    • January 18, 2007
    • 02:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I've miscarried twice and the my first pregnancy was my first miscarriage. I started with all the normal signs of pregnancy and even had a positive pregnancy test... about 3 days later I started losing my symptoms and started bleeding.I was 6 weeks along and all that was seen on the ultrasound was an empty sac. I continued to get my blood levels checked until they were down to 0.At 9 weeks a heartbeat should be present, unless there is reason to believe your not as far along as you think. If you ovulated much later in your cycle then normal this could cause this.your blood test should tell you alot and they should ask you to get another blood test 48 hours after the first one to compare the numbers. In the 48 hours if the pregnancy is viable, the numbers should at least double.I wish you the best of luck. If you are miscarrying, take the time to grieve. I got pregnant with my 1st son 2 months after I miscarried and carried him to term.
    EmmerLoo 4 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 06:41 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had a stillborn son on 1/30/07. It is really hard. I have been married for 18 years and am 39 years old. This was or first child. I was told I could not get pregnant due to pof. I did not even know I was pregnant. I was on the pill. I went into the emergency room the day after christmas due to swelling in legs and feet. Told Dr. about my hands being tight too. He told me I had arthritis in my hands. He diagnosed me with a underline skin infection that was causing my swelling. Sent me home with meds. The meds did not work so went to another Dr. He agreed with emergency Dr. and put me on water pills. I had a app. with nurse pract.to talk to her about my pills and other problems. She gave me a ultra sound. She told me then I was 16 week preg. Put me on bed rest and drink fluid. Baby had heart beat not much movement and not much fluid. Went for another ultra sound 1 week later. Baby gone no heart beat. Four days later I delivered. I was in the delivery room alone when my baby came. The Dr. gave me one more dose of the meds used to induce labor. He told me he was going tho leave the room and let the meds work a few minutes. He and the nurses were not even gone two minutes and I felt a gush. Next cramp the baby came. I had to call them back into the room to help me. Everything happened so fast. The autospy showed a health baby. The Dr. could not give me a reason why the baby died. He could or would not even tell me if i had toxemia back in December.He is not giving me much information. I am now wondering if i did have toxemia in December and the emergency Dr. misdiagonsed me. I can't help to wonder if the baby was found then if he could have been saved. All my symptoms that I had in December are now gone that the baby is gone. Blood pressure in down, weight has gone down swelling is all gone too.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 05:57 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hi angela,how did you get on honey?is all ok?
    rebeccamc 40 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 05:06 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi AngelaI hope you have spoken with your doctor because they should be able to monitor your hcg levels. If they are increasing and are relatively stable, you stand a good chance of carrying the baby longer, or of being less pregnant then you think. This same situation happened to me, and unfortunately my hcg levels started to drop. I didn't show any symptoms of miscarriage until 12 weeks. By then, we had an ultrasound and the baby was gone. They scheduled a dnc for the same day that I started to miscarry. I chose to have the dnc as I didn't want to see the miscarriage. It this outcome is similar for you I am very sorry. It is not an easy experience; however, I took great comfort in seeing that there was no baby in the ultrasound. Maybe your doctor can order another one, and you can tell your ultrasound tech to show you no matter what. My thoughts are with you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I to lost a baby on 3/22/07 I was 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I went to my doctor on 3/14 had elevated BP of 138/94 was told to lay on my left side and it came down was then sent home and told to come back on 3/19. On 3/19 I saw a opposite doctor and my BP was 128/92 he said it was okay. I also told him that I was having a bloody discharge and he said it was because of the exam on 3/14. He then stripped my membranes with out explaining what he was doing and sent me home. I left there sore and went home and slept the whole next day because I felt drainedonly to go to the hospital less than 48 hours after that to find my son died. I am so angry at the doctor for ignoring all of my signs of abrutio placenta. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Thank you , Valentine
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2007
    • 05:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey there,At the end of july I had my 12 week scan and it showed to have no heartbeat. Unfortunately, when the baby has no heartbeat it wil not turn out ok, he/she cannot be bought back to life. Your doctor should've talked to you about was procedures you must undertake to remove the foetus. The most common is a curette, which I had. Its a day procudure performed at the hospital, and you recover very quickly from it. I'm sorry to hear about your baby, it's a painful time, but you will work through it
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 14, 2007
    • 04:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had a appointment for an ultrasound and I was 9 weeks and a couple days. When i was getting my ultrasound the doctor stood quite for a long time time til she made a sad face. She told me that my baby is not moving and that it has no heatbeat and it stopped growing at seven weeks. but it was still in me and I still dont understand what could've happened!! Its just not fair, It was going to my first child.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 6, 2007
    • 08:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yesterday I got bad news. I am 8 weeks pregnant for the first time but there is no heartbeat and the embryo is too little. I have been searching on internet about it and there is only one conclusion... the embryo died. They want to have a look next week. I am afraid that they are only waiting to see if I expontaneously expel the embryo... Probably that is the best way, without any furhter intervention at the hospital. I hope I recover soon. Then I will certainly try it again.Good luck to everybody!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 23, 2007
    • 02:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My cousin is 9 weeks and has been taking a daily injection of aspirin and a weekly injection of progesterone. She had an ultrasound yesterday and there was no heartbeat. Her doctor told her to wait for another 2 weeks and have another ultrasound done. I am hoping for the best since she has had 2 miscarriages already.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 20, 2007
    • 05:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • if there is no heartbeat then you did miscarry and yes it is normal for the tech to act that way cause they are legally not aloud to share any info with you the dr will prob send you for another ultrasound to make sure
    rachel125 112 Replies
    • December 21, 2007
    • 08:53 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have heard of a friend before who was told they could not locate heartbeat at 10 weeks... turned out that she did not miscarry and at her next scan they found it. These things can just happen. It is never a certainty when they find no heartbeat, a second evaluation usually clears this up. Doctors are only human after all.
    mommytophoenix 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,I was 9 weeks pregnant when I started having light brownish discharge that continued for 5 days,I did an US that showed fine heartbeats,but 48 hours later I did another US which showed just lifeless fetal parts!!I was told to wait for another week but I just couldnt understand ,knowing that I didnt have any severe bleeding &infact ,the discharge stopped the day I did the 2nd ultrasound...could there be any hope for me?
    omomar 9 Replies Flag this Response
  • I had a appointment for an ultrasound and I was 9 weeks and a couple days. When i was getting my ultrasound the doctor stood quite for a long time time til she made a sad face. She told me that my baby is not moving and that it has no heatbeat and it stopped growing at seven weeks. but it was still in me and I still dont understand what could've happened!! Its just not fair, It was going to my first child.This happened to me too. I was 9 weeks and my doctor calls me to tell me the baby has no heartbeat. She had me talk to another doctor but that doctor scheduled an appointment with me a week later. I still have it inside me too. Is it bad to have it inside you for this long without a heart beat? i tought it had to be removed right away?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Am i over reacting?Hi there..... this is my 2nd pregancy.... and we think I am 7 weeks. Went for the u/s and they said not to worry, you are 5 to 6 weeks and common not to hear a heart beat. We lost your first baby same period and due to blighted ovum. Is this happening again, and the doc is just trying to be nice?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 2, 2008
    • 07:45 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just had an ultrasound yesterday and at 10 weeks no heartbeat. But I watched a program on TV about a couple who had the same thing happen...at 7 or 8 weeks they got an US and no hearbeat...they prayed and prayed and fully believed that the baby would live. They went back to get another US a few days later...no heartbeat. They still prayed and had faith the baby would survive even though the doc said they were crazy and wasting their time. The 3rd US they had there WAS a heartbeat...the baby was born months later as a normal, healthy baby girl!I know God is powerful...I really want this baby. IT's my last chance to have a baby. My husband just got a vasectomy and I'm 44 years old! It's nice to hear success stories like this. Anyone????
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 20, 2008
    • 04:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I have heard of a friend before who was told they could not locate heartbeat at 10 weeks... turned out that she did not miscarry and at her next scan they found it. These things can just happen. It is never a certainty when they find no heartbeat, a second evaluation usually clears this up. Doctors are only human after all.This has given me some hope.. At our 12wk us we were told there was no heartbeat. I was devastated. But after more blood tests (due to the fact that I still feel pregnant with no signs of miscarraige) it was found that my HCG levels are still increasing, and are right where they should be for 12wks pregnant!! Due for another us today or tomorrow so for now I will pray as hard as I can. Really hope the sonographer was wrong!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 26, 2008
    • 03:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • mum-of-2, so how was the result?? are u ok?i am having the same situation, i went to have an u/s 11/9, i thought i was at 8w3d, the doc found the embryo and the baby is about 7w5d, but no heart beat. the doc told me i might have a miscarriage..i was super worried and cried all the time. i am gonna have the 2nd u/s tomorrow at another hospital, tomorrow will be my 10w. i have no sign of miscarriage, no spotting, no bleeding..etc. still have morning sickness...is my baby gonna be ok?? i pray and pray.. anyway, i will have a result tomorrow by now...wish me good luck!! i wish i could bring a good story to everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 10:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • mum-of-2, so how was the result?? are u ok?i am having the same situation, i went to have an u/s 11/9, i thought i was at 8w3d, the doc found the embryo and the baby is about 7w5d, but no heart beat. the doc told me i might have a miscarriage..i was super worried and cried all the time. i am gonna have the 2nd u/s tomorrow at another hospital, tomorrow will be my 10w. i have no sign of miscarriage, no spotting, no bleeding..etc. still have morning sickness...is my baby gonna be ok?? i pray and pray.. anyway, i will have a result tomorrow by now...wish me good luck!! i wish i could bring a good story to everyone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 10:25 AM
    Flag this Response
    kkk_sss 3 Replies
    • November 12, 2008
    • 10:30 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement