Discussions By Condition: Sexual conditions

Could I have HIV???

Posted In: Sexual conditions 23 Replies
  • Posted By: Lazzio2134
  • January 17, 2007
  • 07:11 PM

I received unprotected oral sex from a stripper in Mexico in the first week of August. I ejaculated in her mouth and began to get worried soonafter. When I came back from Mexico I got an STD test and an HIV test and everything came back normal. About two and a half months later I got sick. I had a cough which would not go away and got a fever as well. I took medicine but began to get a rash on my arms and legs. The rash also reached my penis so I began to get extremely worried. When I went to my doctor she told me I could have an scute HIV infection and she did a western blot and a pcr and the blot test came back negative while the PCR test came back negative as well since it was sensitive to 75 copies. She said I was fine but after I got the results I began to get that cough again and had night sweats and my feet started sweating like crazy. The night sweats have stopped as well as the cough. Now It's almost going to be six months since that intercourse took place and I am having a small bump come and go in my right underarm. Could I have HIV??? Please if anybody could help me I'd appreciate it.

Reply Flag this Discussion

23 Replies:

• Sounds like a viral infection that will just take time. You could have gotten it from a drink. Try and not worry. Don't ever make a mistake like that again!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 27, 2007
    • 01:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I trully hope so because It has gotten me extremely worried.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 12, 2007
    • 07:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • That doesnt sound like hiv. If your tests came back negative then its negative. I was really scared too before we make mistakes and after that we know better. Dont put yourself in that kind of position anymore. its not a good feeling.
    hypnotiq 3 Replies
    • February 26, 2007
    • 09:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Acute Retroviral Infection typically occurs about 2-4 weeks after being exposed to HIV and consists mainly of a fever, night sweats, and swollen glands. Weight loss might also occur. You probably contracted Infectious Mononucleosis (EBV) which usually occurs about 4-6 weeks after infection but it depends on person-to-person. The bump under your arm is probably a swollen lymph node. After having Mono, the lymph nodes can remain swollen for many months. Rash is a symptom of HIV infection but it might also have been an allergic reaction to whatever medication the doctor gave you. Unfortunately the HIV testing you had was basically useless. Seroconversion can take as long as 6 months to even 1 year before HIV antibodies would show up and those tests would show anything. Only specific blood tests during Acute Retroviral Infection can show HIV infection and most doctors have no clue to order them. Did they test the number of CD4 or CD8 cells during the infection?If it's been 6 months since the infection get another test now and an other at the 1 year marker.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • When I went to my doctor and had rash symptoms she did perform a PCR test for HIV and it came back negative. They did not test for the CD4 or CD8 levels. However, at the 7 month mark I did go back and got another oraquick test performed and it came back negative. However, the symptoms for Acute retroviral Infection occured 3 months after possible exposure. Do you think it's still possibly HIV?
    Lazzio2134 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • it could be HIV. some of the kinds of HIV out there can take 10-15years!! before the show up in tests. Fatigue and minor head colds is a sign. Maybe its Hepitits C
    RedneckgirlVT 11 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would be really interested to know what type of HIV takes 10 years to show up on tests. Why do you say it could be Hep C?
    Lazzio2134 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • It's not necessairly the strand of HIV so much as it is the individual's own body. Everyone is different and so no one can actually predict how someone will progress after infected with HIV. Some people get it and never develop AIDS, some people get it and die of AIDS within the same year. On average, it takes about 10-15 years for HIV to progress into AIDS. Likewise, the time it takes for seroconversion (the process where the body produces antibodies to the virus) varies- for some it's a month, for others 6 months to a year. 10-15 years sounds impossible really. The rule of thumb is that the less time it takes to recover from the accute infection, the better the prognosis is. If you don't get the "fever" at all then it's seen as a better long term outcome. It's not impossible for Acute Retroviral Syndrome to occur 3 months after infection, but EXTREMELY unlikely. Mononucleosis on the other hand, is something that can occur 3 months after. Get a test for Epstein-Barr Virus antibodies, Cytomegalovirus antibodies and even consider getting a test for Siphilis. You might want to ask for a Hepatitis series as well just to be safe. You could ask for the CD4 and CD8 levels to be checked as well. Also I'm not sure why you are so worried about HIV in the first place. You had a stripper give you a *******b, right? It seems to me that she would need to be more concerned about HIV than you. Transmission via oral sex is much MUCH lower than via regular sex, it's EXTREMELY low. The first symptoms of HIV infection are usually frequent infections, especially in the mouth. The ELISA and Western Blot are considered more definitive testing than PCR and so-called "quick" tests.
  • To clarify further, in a 2005 study about HIV infection based on a sample size of 10,000 people, the number of infections from unprotected insertive fellatio was 0.5. For reference, in unprotected receptive fellatio is was 1.0. Do you now see how it's almost impossible to have contracted HIV from what you did? This all assumes, by the way, that you didn't have any other risky sexual adventures after returning home.
  • The person above me pretty much said what I was going to. :) It's very unlikely that you got HIV from ejaculating in her mouth. The only way you really could have contracted it was if somehow you had an open cut on your penis and she had saliva with some of her blood in her mouth or a cut as well. The chances are very low.
    R0xyg4l 22 Replies Flag this Response
  • As a normal man, we really can't resist the temptation especially we are travelling. I heard oral sex has a very very low risk of getting AIDS or STDs, as the saliva has neutralise the risk of the disease. Me too, I am very very scared and worried.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I have a skin mark on my left leg. it looks like the first layer of skin has peeled into a circle. it is not red or bleeding just a shade below my skin color. I have nerve damage on that side of my leg. not major but i lost feeling on my hip and where the mark is. I did have a black head i picked in that area but cant recall if it was around the time the mark showed up. i have no flu symptoms or cold symptoms. or any other symptoms that would be associated with HIV. when i get sick which is like once a year i recover quickly. I have had several one night stands. the mark has been on my leg for about 6 months now. I also use HGH and i think the mark showed up after i started my first cycle. does anyone have an idea?
  • Wow you guys are not really aware of HIV transmission! be enlightened and visit this site Medhelp.org. I was in the same shoes of the thread starter before but, after visiting the site! my life went to normal after reading a half-way condom (head still covered) slippage is not a risk!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2007
    • 04:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • for the guy with the rash...it might be more likely to have herpes 1 on the legs...I would get a blood test for herpes 1 & 2 (2 separate tests). It is very rare to get hiv from oral sex, like the other person said. The rash could also be an allergy to the medicine you took and now you need to be tested for an antibiotic allergy before taking it again...it could also be shingles, depending on where it is on your body...
    Monsterlove 2,921 Replies
    • August 21, 2007
    • 01:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would be more worried about tuberculosis, have you had a skin test for that? The Mexicans have a high rate of TB, maybe you were exposed? I would get a skin test.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 13, 2007
    • 01:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i know this is real late, but i talked to a doctor who works mainly with hiv and would like to give clarity.1. acute infection usually starts between 10-25 days after infection and 93-96% of the time involves a fever and generalized noticeably painless enlarged lymph nodes2. it is rather difficult to get HIV from one encounter. it takes millions of hiv particles to cause and infection. hence why not as many people get infected.3. on average people seroconvert by day 25. with modern testing done 6-8 weeks will be conclusive 99% and at 12 weeks 99.9%4 people very very rarely seroconvert after 6 months. those people being heavy drug users and people with weaker immune systems ie people on chemo.i just ran across this forum and thought id shed some light on peoples somewhat archiac views on hiv/aids in the 2007
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2007
    • 02:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The person above me pretty much said what I was going to. :) It's very unlikely that you got HIV from ejaculating in her mouth. The only way you really could have contracted it was if somehow you had an open cut on your penis and she had saliva with some of her blood in her mouth or a cut as well. The chances are very low.You should have a test for CMV.http://www.cdc.gov/cmv/facts.htm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2007
    • 10:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't think you got the HIV, take a high school health class.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 31, 2007
    • 04:46 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Straight from CDC's website: "Most HIV tests are antibody tests that measure the antibodies your body makes against HIV. It can take some time for the immune system to produce enough antibodies for the antibody test to detect, and this time period can vary from person to person. This time period is commonly referred to as the “window period.” Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks (the average is 25 days). Even so, there is a chance that some individuals will take longer to develop detectable antibodies. Therefore, if the initial negative HIV test was conducted within the first 3 months after possible exposure, repeat testing should be considered >3 months after the exposure occurred to account for the possibility of a false-negative result. Ninety-seven percent of persons will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV."The rare cases they are talking about are those in which people have extremely suppresed immune systems already.....like battling cancer and going through chemo. Rest assured your test is conclusive.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2008
    • 10:12 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi guys,I find this very interessing and my story and my question is. I paid a *********e for sex in a legal *********e club in the dutch antillies where they say that they test there prostitutes every day. In the beginning off the sex thing the *********e put my peanus between her legs and ride on it but there where no penatriation. It was only playing before sex if you guys can understand what i am saying. We did this without a condom its was only scrubbing my peanus between her legs. But the sex i did was with a condom.One week later a had analsex with my girlfriend whithout a condom and the next day i had urine tract infection. Two days later i went to the dokter for a test, they took a sample of my urine and they found blood in it and then they took a test in the lab. 3 weeks later i had the results and they say that they could not found nothing. Could that playing around in the beginning off the sex could have give the chance to have hiv? i going crazy here can someone tel me about this. i know that there alot off other things that can cause UTI.I i think they only look for bacteria in the UTI test not virus. can somebody explain a little bit over this.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 24, 2008
    • 01:45 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement