Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

Nerve Entrapment Due to Injury

Posted In: Nerve conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: horsebackrider
  • August 21, 2010
  • 06:39 PM

Hi everyone!

I am a 52 year old female. I had an injury (lifting a 20 - 30 lbs. of groceries on my right shoulder) in Sept. 2009 causing right groin pain (sometimes left), burning during intercourse, low right back pain, right leg pain and flank pain (right side pain). My first symptoms were mid right back pain, very slight pain in right groin and blood in my urine. (The blood in my urine did not tell my doctor much because the urgent care clinic did not test it.) The blood showed up on the dip stick. Within a few weeks I had spams in my vagina and rectum, and had difficulty telling when my bladder was full. I also developed an extended abdomen (gas) which would not relieve much.

My current symptoms are overly sensitive skin on entire right side of my body resulting in nerve pain when things such as linen and clothing brush up against it; numbness; pain and overly sensitive skin in pubic area which spreads to my stomach. My numbness varies depending upon where it is, about 10-15% loss of feeling. I could not sit much at all until I received electro-acupuncture. Before my right thigh and buttocks would feel very swollen. I still cannot sit for long, but when I do sit it is much less painful. My right hip also hurts a lot. I am seeing a chiropractor to help keep my pelvis stable. Every few weeks I have trouble telling when my bladder is full. I continue to bloating, but when I had a spinal epidural it seemed to relieve a lot of it. I still have the bloating, but it is not as bad right now. It had come back full force about 3 months after the epidural. During my physical therapy Oct. 2009 - Jan. 2010 I had heel pain for a little while. Now it is back (as of August 18, 2010).

MRIs show mild disc bulges which are normal for my age: L4-L5 (mainly), but also L3-L4 and L5-S1. Fibromyalgia and kidneys stones were ruled out. Nerve tests show normal, but the neurologist only tested my right leg because he and the physiatrist thought my symptoms mimicked siatica pain. Pelvic x-ray shows no fracture. Blood tests Oct. 2009 should inflammation, but I had enough other blood cells that they were not concerned about it. Urine samples were normal thereafter.

In November 2009 I thought I was almost better except for the fact that I could not wear underwear and my pelvis would not stay stable (causing groin pain), but my physical therapist had me wear a belt to keep my pelvis stable and it caused me to relapse and not be able to stand for long, as well. Now I cannot wear underwear or pants because it rubs against my thigh, pelvis, leg and buttocks causing extreme pain. I think this was going on along, but I didn't realize what was causing the pain at that time.

I landed on "Nerve Entrapment" because I entered Nerve Symptoms - Heel Pain - Leg Numbness.

I am seeking a second opinion by seeing a neurologist on August 30, 2010. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Its sounds like you should possibly be checked for pudendal nerve entrapment. One of the best surgeons in the country that specialize with this condition is Dr. Michael Hibner at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. The wait time to get in for new patients can vary from 3 to 6 months. His initial consult is about 1 hour, he is a very understanding and caring doctor. Diagnosis of entrapment can be confirm by pelvic mri. There are few doctors that specialize with pudendal nerve entrapment, only about 4 or 5 reputable and well trained surgeons, none in California. I traveled to see him this past year, I don't have entrapment and still suffer with some pain and about 90% of groin area loss of sensation. I am now checking into rheumatological causes for my problems. Check out search on web for pudendal info for detailed information and support with this condition. Best of luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2010
    • 06:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Do a search on pudendal information or pudendal hope. There is a new site that has an updated doctor list for North America. There are some doctors now listed for California.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 14, 2010
    • 06:19 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement