Discussions By Condition: Sleep disorders

Night-only urination problem.

Posted In: Sleep disorders 30 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 18, 2006
  • 02:51 PM

I'm new to this site and this is my first posting. Thanks in advance for asnyone who can be bothered to help me.
My problem is that I have to get up about four times a night to urinate and, when I do so it's just a dribble. If I don't urinate there's no danger of wetting the bed but the urge to urinate stops me sleeping.
Daytime urination is no problem. The stream is strong, there is no pain and I don't think i urinate any more frequently than others.
I have visited several doctors who have done different tests and found nothing abnormal. So far there's been no convincing diagnosis. But tiredness from my interrupted sleep is adversely affecting my life and work.
Anyone had experience of anything like this? I'd really like to know.
Yours
Themis

Reply Flag this Discussion

30 Replies:

• Hello,I have definetly experienced nocturia (3-5 times per night) but I have found nothing that works either.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 10, 2006
    • 08:16 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Nocturia is not uncommon for those with sleep apnea.Some doctors assume that you must be overweight to have sleep apnea.To me: "You are not overweight, you don't smoke and you don't drink. You can't have sleep apnea."
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 11, 2006
    • 02:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, I've had this problem for years, done every possible test (every one!) and never been diagnosed for anything. The only thing that helps is deep relaxation exercises of the meditation variety. Absolutely nothing else has ever had any effect on me. The problem varies in intensity. Definitely worse in winter...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 6, 2007
    • 08:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I don't know what this has to do with sleep apnea. I'm wondering about a prostate problem though. Although if you went to your doctor and they couldn't find anything thats good news.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 05:42 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Themis, I have experienced this sometimes, and yes, it's very tiring having to get up several times in the middle of the night. In my case it's usually related to drinking herbal tea for my digestion before going to bed. Do you drink anything before going to sleep? If so, cut it out and see how it goes. I have also heard that diabetics have to get up several times in the night to do a pee. Have you have this checked out by your doctor?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 10, 2007
    • 11:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am new to this site. I am a 60 y o female with a 15 year history of nighttime urination (every two-3 hours) No problem during the day. I have no trouble going to sleep, and usually not much trouble going back to sleep after getting up. I have gone months without onsuming any caffeine, I stop drinking hours before bedtime, I've tried eating a bigger lunch and light supper, I'm rarely eat chocolate, I don't have reflux, and now the sleep doc tells me I can't have sleep apnea (although I snore I don't get sleepy during the day if I get a total of at least 7 hours of actual sleep). I am not diabetic, overweight, nor do I have kidney disease.I am wondering if a lack of vasopressin is the culprit. Anybody have any experience with taking vasopressin? This problem seemed to start at about the same time as perimenopause.
    pet rock 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dear: Themis In reference to your night-only urination problem. This is a common problem in older men. I just developed the problem at age 55. You should get a complete physical exam done by your family Doctor. In older men starting around midle age the PROSTRATE GLAND can give problems by either ( Enlarging Only) giving you the symtoms you describe. This is called BHP. However, in some cases the enlarging of the Prostrate Gland may be due to more serious causes such as Cancer. You really need to have your doctor do the proper tests so as to confirm your personal situation. The good news in all this, is that there are very successfull treatments that work for this type of problem. If you are like me and ask " What did I do or not do to bring this on me" the answer I have recieved is that, this is biological function of age. In other words it's in your GENE's or DNA that you inherited from your family background. Some people simply do better or worse then others in this whole area. I hope I have been of some help to you with my comments. Good-Luck and long life to you!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I don't know what this has to do with sleep apnea.I have sleep apnea, and until I got effective treatment for it, I also had nocturia. Because my sleep was so poor, I would wake up every 1-1/2 to 2 hours, every night. And every time I woke up, I felt that I had to urinate. Sometimes I really did, but more often I only produced a few drops.When I went to a clinic to get help for my chronic fatigue of 15+ years, I described the nocturia, thinking that that might be a cause of my sleep problems. But as it turned out, my sleep problems were due to apnea and also a low degree of anxiety. The nocturia was just a side effect of my disrupted sleep. As soon as I got effective treatment for the apnea and anxiety, the nocturia immediately stopped.So I'm not saying that nocturia means that you have sleep apnea or anxiety. I'm just saying that it may be a side effect of some other sleep problem rather than its cause.
    AmateurHistorian 74 Replies Flag this Response
  • You are not the only one who has this problem. I have something similar to this. I am female and 25 and have had this problem for 4 years.During the day I am completely fine when having to use the bathroom, however as soon as I lay down to sleep my body tells me I need to urinate and I get up and barely anything comes out. As soon as I get back into bed, my body tells me again that I have to urinate. I cannot fall asleep until about an hour and a half to 3 hours of getting up to urinate. (usually between 10 and 20 times before falling asleep) It is not fun. I have been on numerous medications (Detrol LA, Ditropan) and none of them have helped. I finally got fed up and went to a urologist and they did a urine test and found blood in my urine, then checked the bladder with a scope, filled up the bladder and then emptied it, still with no answer. They decided I needed to do something called Biofeedback, which is where you insert a tampon looking device and see how strong your bladder muscles are. They said everything is normal. I still have this problem and don't have any other place to figure this out. I don't drink or eat anything after 8:00 and do not drink caffeine usually after 2:00pm. I'm tired of going to doctors that don't know what they are doing and just prescribe something to get you out of their exam room.If anyone has any answers or any other way to help me figure this out. Please e-mail me at dedesellman@yahoo.com
  • Hi, I am having the same problems! I am 34 years old and have been having to get up 3-4 times at night. But, everytime I get up, I do produce a lot of urine. It's not just a dribble. I am also tired a lot. I have such a hard time getting up in the mornings. I take lots of naps too. I'm not sure if the two are related though. I don't have a problem going back to sleep every time I get up. So, I went to my doctor because of my tiredness. (I didn't even think to mention the frequent urination probably because I thought it was due to me drinking lots of fluids at night.) My doctor tried allergy meds to see if that was the problem: Nope, not the problem. She then decreased my dosage of Zoloft (taking for anxiety attacks) thinking that was the problem: Nope, still feeling tired and urinating at night. Finally, she sent me to a "real" sleep doctor at Emory University. I went there for the overnight sleep study to find out that I do not have sleep apnea, but I do wake up quite a few times during the night. DUH! I could have told them all of that! They sent me home basically saying nothing is wrong with me. I'm back to the drawing board again. The tiredness has not been a problem over the past month since I'm not working, but the night urination has not stopped and is driving me crazy. Every two hours I can count on having to get up - it is so irritating! So, maybe the tiredness is really because of my urination problem? I am a very healthy slender woman who eats right and exercises regularly. BUT, why do I have the frequent urination problem? Before finding this forum, I thought I was the only one dealing with this. So, why can't doctors figure out this problem? -Susan
  • I read about someone going to a sleep study and the doctors there telling them didn't have a sleep disorder. However, upon going to a new doctor they were tested again at a different facility and found to have a moderate to severe sleep disorder. The difference was the first study refused to test the person on their back, because it was a given they snore when on their back. The second study also kept them there for two days and tested them on their back.So regardless of what some sleep study center declares as the truth about their excellence, if they refuse to thoroughly test you then they have done a disservice to you and your referring doctor.Do have any other symptoms of sleep apnea? Such as:morning headaches, snorting or snoring when sleeping, incredible difficulty swallowing (sometimes even saliva), muscle pain everywhere else, severe anxiety attacks, feeling of a lump in my throat, waking up in the middle of the night for sugarcraving salty and fatty foods during the day severe chronic fatigue"brain fog"difficulty speaking, stumbling over words and blending wordsunrefreshing sleep
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Hi All,I am a 37 year old male. I obviously suffer from Nocturia, and I get up at least 4-5 times a night to pee, and I have done this for at least the last 20 years. Like others, if I don't get up I can't get back to sleep. I have no problems during the day. However, I was a bed-wetter until my early teens, and in later life I've put these frequent night visits to the toilet down to the reprogramming of my brain that I didn't wet the bed as an adult? But 4-5 times a night seems a bit over the top, but I am used to it, and I don't have a problem going back to sleep. I was considering seeking help, but after reading the various posts it looks like nothing can be done. I am very fit and healthy and I feel fine. Four years ago I became a Police Officer. When I do night shift, and have to sleep during the day the same thing happens that usually happens at night. So I guess I'm stuck with it. Besides, I am used to it now. I only hope it doesn't increase to 10-20 times when I get older!
  • I just started having this problem in the last month. I had also wondered if it wasn't another symptom of peramenapause as someone else had mentioned on this forum. But I am running into the same thing - I m getting all kinds of tests including by a gynacologist but nobody seems to be coming up with an answer. However, I had also gone through anxiety years ago and i have been a bad sleeper for a long time. I may have sleep apnea too and sometimes wake myself up by snoring. The only thing that helps me sleep through the night is taking a sleeping pill (Ambien). But I don't want to have to do that every night! What is strange is mine just started from one day to the next And as with someone else on the forum, I don't just have the urge to urinate, I really do urinate every 2 hours (I could set my clock by it) and only at night. I seem normal during the day.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 9, 2007
    • 11:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My doctor recently gave me a blood pressure medication, a diuretic. She told me to take it in the morning, which made me pee all day, once it started working. So that was the first good sleep I've had for years!! You might try taking a Tylenol before sleep to just calm the urge?
    Magpie 10 Replies
    • October 16, 2007
    • 04:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hmm, there is also the possibility of taking medicine before bed causing a diuretic action. I think I'll check my other medications, too.
    Magpie 10 Replies
    • October 16, 2007
    • 04:46 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I too have a similar problem. However mine only started after getting back from Holiday at the start of April. I can usually sleep for a minimum of 8 hours without ever getting up once unless i had been out drinking etc or had a large cup of tea b4 bed. Until April. I am 27yrs old. A healthy weight. I drink maximum of 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning. I dont eat a lot of chocolate or have any other caffiene in my diet. I rarely drink alcohol.Probably once every 2 or 4 weeks.My bf had a urinary tract infection around the time this started. I thought maybe i had that too. But i went to my docs they did a urine test and it came back clear. I go to bed at night makin sure i dont drink anything for about half hour or an hour b4 bed. I then make sure i go to the loo and empty my bladder b4 getting in bed. I lay down. And usually within 20 mins i need to pee again. I cant sleep naked anymore as i find it makes the need to pee even worse. If i think about peeing then i instantly need to pee too and even though i know i have just been i cant sleep. I feel like i will wet myself unless i go to the loo. I usually go at least once if not 2 or more times after this on average a night. Its driving me mad and distrurbing both my boyfriends and my sleep. I have no idea what it could be now so i dont know what to ask my doctor for.Any advice at all?
  • Wow, I guess I am not the only one suffering from this problem. Reflecting on my childhood I think it started in the mid-teen years... I used to have to get up to pee 2-3 times a night. Back then it didnt affect me as much but I always had a hard time getting up in the morning, now at 22 I feel myself going crazy because I cannot get a good nights sleep... I wake up foggy, half asleep, and honestly if I dont sleep well the whole day will be a fog and very unproductive... I still wake up 2-3 times a night having to pee. I would take a couple Ibuprofen before bed and that would help me get about 5 hrs of sleep before I had to get up and pee, looked for something a little longer lasting and found a extended release tylenol but that doesn't work. I have been to the doctors and gotten tested for various things, but all come back healthy and fine. I am an athletic individual, workout almost daily, but this is driving me nuts and really making what should be some of the best years of my life... a half sleep daze!!! I wish there was something I could do. I have been tested for sleep apnea but only have a very mild case and not enough to get any sort of treatment, I do not really suffer from anxiety but I dread going to bed at night... I have no problems during the day.... oh well... I hope some sort of answer comes up I don't want to live w/ this for years like some of you poor guys who have written on here... I am keeping my fingers crossed something comes up
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 27, 2008
    • 10:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • If you have nocturia, have already been checked for kidney disease, are not diabetic, and have no particular bladder problems, then either you are:1. old, in which case it's normal and you have to just deal with it, or2. drinking too much before you go to sleep, in which case stop doing that.
    bobwick 21 Replies
    • October 6, 2008
    • 01:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm new to this site and this is my first posting. Thanks in advance for asnyone who can be bothered to help me. My problem is that I have to get up about four times a night to urinate and, when I do so it's just a dribble. If I don't urinate there's no danger of wetting the bed but the urge to urinate stops me sleeping. Daytime urination is no problem. The stream is strong, there is no pain and I don't think i urinate any more frequently than others. I have visited several doctors who have done different tests and found nothing abnormal. So far there's been no convincing diagnosis. But tiredness from my interrupted sleep is adversely affecting my life and work. Anyone had experience of anything like this? I'd really like to know. Yours Themis Themis, I am a 61 yr old Nocturia sufferer who has had the same problem as you for over 10 years.Nothing worked for me including several visits to hospitals, urologists and to drug stores. Formerly a plumbing contractor that needed a good night's sleep, I used my creativity to develop and use a product (bed side urinal) that allows me to urinate while lying in bed. It is not a bed pan, plastic jug or catheter. It is a decorative portable plumbing fixture that can be used at the bed side during the night. Clean convenient and sanitary, it allows for a good night's sleep in a very natural way and without side effects. I am close to going to market with this new product and at the testing stage. Would you be interested in participating by testing the bed side urinal? No costs to you.Anyone else interested, just let me know.Leviticus1964@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 23, 2009
    • 01:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello,I too have the same problem, I am just 31 years old and weighing 75 kgs. I get up atleast 4 or 5 times at night ( 9 pm to 6 am) sometimes 6 or 7 times. But, everytime I get up to urinate, I do produce plenty of urine. I eat only normal food and usually drink only 1/2 or 1/4th cup of water in the night. I go to the loo and empty my bladder before going to bed usually around 10 pm. Within an hour i had to urinate again, normally in 2 to 3 hours gap, when i get up around 4 or 4:30 in the morning, i am not getting proper sleep. My sleep is getting spoiled because of this and it is reallllly frusturating. Day time is normal and i don't see any problem.Anyone knows why do I have the frequent urination problem? Note : I don't drink nor smoke Themis, I am a 61 yr old Nocturia sufferer who has had the same problem as you for over 10 years.Nothing worked for me including several visits to hospitals, urologists and to drug stores. Formerly a plumbing contractor that needed a good night's sleep, I used my creativity to develop and use a product (bed side urinal) that allows me to urinate while lying in bed. It is not a bed pan, plastic jug or catheter. It is a decorative portable plumbing fixture that can be used at the bed side during the night. Clean convenient and sanitary, it allows for a good night's sleep in a very natural way and without side effects. I am close to going to market with this new product and at the testing stage. Would you be interested in participating by testing the bed side urinal? No costs to you.Anyone else interested, just let me know.Leviticus1964@yahoo.com
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 24, 2009
    • 06:37 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement