Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Intestinal gas, deep belching and abdominal pressure... please help!!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: lisab96
  • August 2, 2010
  • 10:15 PM

I have tried just about everything to help me solve this problem and I feel like i am out of options at this point. Every doctor I talk to about this is bewildered and eventually diagnoses me with one of the common GI disorders (acid reflux, gastritis, dyspepsia, GERD, esophagitis, etc). I had an endoscopy performed that showed an ulcer so I took medication for this for about 4 months with no change. I have also taken prilosec on and off for 4-5 years. If I don't take it, I get heartburn almost immediately.
A bit about my history: I am a 32 year old female with about a 12 year history of an eating disorder. It started out as just restricting my eating but a couple of years later when I "learned" how to make myself throw up, the bingeing & purging began. I never classifed as a bulimic due to the frequency of my purging (it was only on occasion and rarely consistent). I am sure I did some serious damage to my digestive system by doing this over the years so I am not surprised I have all these issues.
BUT, I have not found anyone else (and i have met lots of other people with eating disorders) who suffers from the symptoms I do. The primary one is deep burping and intestinal gas after EVERY meal! It is soooooo uncomfortable and somedays I can barely stand it. It is embarrasing to be around other people because of the sounds my stomach makes. The uncomfortableness of it makes it almost impossible to concentrate on anything of importance. Most of the "burps" aren't your usual kind... they are deep and loud and sometimes sound more like a stomach growling than a burp. Sometimes they release the pressure, sometimes they don't. I often feel this way for 2-3 hours after I eat a meal (i have been tested for food allergies, tried a gluten-free diet, digestive enzymes, etc with no success). It feels like I have swallowed a balloon and there's someone sitting on my chest putting pressure on it.
Is there anybody out there who has experienced anything like this or heard of someone who has??? I'm running out of hope. I can't stand to live this way anymore!
Please help. Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Have you heard of wheat grass. try that 1 spoon empty stomach with warm water in the morning and avoid eating gas producing food.. you will find the list on any site talking about it. hope this helps..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 10, 2010
    • 06:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have the exact same symptoms. No luck with a diagnosis either and it doesn't matter what I eat: the gas is incredibly uncomfortable. The only time I feel relief is if I am hungry. I've lost over twenty pounds in the last three years since this started and still continue to lose. I have to keep moving in order to release the gas to get brief relief. Don't blame your eating disorder... I am becoming bulemic because I can't stand how I feel when I'm full. I have tried just about everything to help me solve this problem and I feel like i am out of options at this point. Every doctor I talk to about this is bewildered and eventually diagnoses me with one of the common GI disorders (acid reflux, gastritis, dyspepsia, GERD, esophagitis, etc). I had an endoscopy performed that showed an ulcer so I took medication for this for about 4 months with no change. I have also taken prilosec on and off for 4-5 years. If I don't take it, I get heartburn almost immediately. A bit about my history: I am a 32 year old female with about a 12 year history of an eating disorder. It started out as just restricting my eating but a couple of years later when I "learned" how to make myself throw up, the bingeing & purging began. I never classifed as a bulimic due to the frequency of my purging (it was only on occasion and rarely consistent). I am sure I did some serious damage to my digestive system by doing this over the years so I am not surprised I have all these issues.BUT, I have not found anyone else (and i have met lots of other people with eating disorders) who suffers from the symptoms I do. The primary one is deep burping and intestinal gas after EVERY meal! It is soooooo uncomfortable and somedays I can barely stand it. It is embarrasing to be around other people because of the sounds my stomach makes. The uncomfortableness of it makes it almost impossible to concentrate on anything of importance. Most of the "burps" aren't your usual kind... they are deep and loud and sometimes sound more like a stomach growling than a burp. Sometimes they release the pressure, sometimes they don't. I often feel this way for 2-3 hours after I eat a meal (i have been tested for food allergies, tried a gluten-free diet, digestive enzymes, etc with no success). It feels like I have swallowed a balloon and there's someone sitting on my chest putting pressure on it. Is there anybody out there who has experienced anything like this or heard of someone who has??? I'm running out of hope. I can't stand to live this way anymore!Please help. Thanks.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi there,
    I know how u feel and what you going through. Cause I have exact the same problem over the years . After eating within Couple hours i get this big pressure on my throat that needs to be released also depending on what u eat as well. If I don't force myself like gagging to release that pressure and gas i suffocate and cannt breathe at all specially in public. I also have general anxiety disorder i think that triggers everything. So it ends up being full blown panic attack .
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement