Discussions By Condition: Nose conditions

Nasal Blockage

Posted In: Nose conditions 11 Replies
  • Posted By: InternetUser
  • January 14, 2007
  • 10:30 AM

I've been experiencing blockage in my right nostril for the past 2 months. It started with fever, coughing, and blocked nose about 2 months ago. The fever and coughing has gone, however the nasal blockage remains. I've had this problem 1 time before, but it lasted just a few days. The left nostril also gets partially blocked at times, which makes breathing very difficult.

Occasionally both the nostrils get cleared on their own, but it gets blocked again during the night. I've used Otrivin - Xylometazoline Hydrochloride Nasal Drops IP (1:1000) on many days, which completely clears the nostrils and gives me relief for the rest of the day. I'd consulted a doctor who prescribed some medicines, but they haven't done anything. The Otrivin nasal drops are the only thing that's worked until now. I don't want to use them continuously as they're said to cause further blockage.

Please suggest some cure for this problem. I'm having difficulty breathing normally.

Reply Flag this Discussion

11 Replies:

• cetirizene for the precipitating allergy.sudafed(pseudoephidrene )to reduce the internal swelling,possible enlarged turbinates and so forth.sinuses are probably infected by now as well.that means several courses of high dose antibiotics.when you are clearer ,get checked for nasal polyps.these are common,and easy to treat with a low dose steroid nasal spray.thats if you have gottem.alternatively you could just leave it until the post nasal drip starts to affect your lungs.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 15, 2007
    • 09:20 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is additional information since my last post at the top regarding nasal blockage of the right nostril.I was at another location when this problem started. I used to try to learn swimming in the sea water during this period. Is anything in the sea water likely to cause this type of problem?The problem has reduced considerably now, since I get nasal blockage only during the night after returning back to my hometown. The all-day nasal blockage had reduced almost immediately after returning back to hometown. I occassionally sometimes feel as if sufficient air is not passing through the right nostril during the daytime, but it lasts only for a while.This entire thing started with fever, coughing, and nasal blockage in the beginning. The fever and cough disappeared, but the nasal blockage has remained. I've taken LevoCetirizine according to the doctor's instructions, but it hasn't had any effect.The doctor has also informed me that my septum is slightly slanted. I don't think that this is the cause, since I have never had nasal blockage that has lasted more than 2 to 3 days, even when I was in another country in minus 35 degree celcius temperature without any proper warm clothes.Can anyone provide me some answers, since the doctors do not seem to have the right diagnosis. Do any doctors visit this board?
    InternetUser 1 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 09:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I've been experiencing blockage in my right nostril for the past 2 months. It started with fever, coughing, and blocked nose about 2 months ago. The fever and coughing has gone, however the nasal blockage remains. I've had this problem 1 time before, but it lasted just a few days. The left nostril also gets partially blocked at times, which makes breathing very difficult. Occasionally both the nostrils get cleared on their own, but it gets blocked again during the night. I've used Otrivin - Xylometazoline Hydrochloride Nasal Drops IP (1:1000) on many days, which completely clears the nostrils and gives me relief for the rest of the day. I'd consulted a doctor who prescribed some medicines, but they haven't done anything. The Otrivin nasal drops are the only thing that's worked until now. I don't want to use them continuously as they're said to cause further blockage. Please suggest some cure for this problem. I'm having difficulty breathing normally.Hi there, I've been experiencing the same thing. The nasal blockage goes from one side to the other literally within hours while awake or when sleeping - no matter. What I have been doing lately are three things, one was suggested long ago in a book by Edgar Cayce, (some poo poo him, I don't.), one from my pharmacist, and one from my own research. They are:1 - Nasal rinses with 1 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 6 drops Colloidal Silver. (you can purchase in most drug stores now) I stand over the sink, hold a finger over one nostril, and tilt the cup while I snort it up the open nostril, then let go of the other nostril. Blow out the mucus gently, and repeat several times.2 - Drink 1 cup water in which i put 1 teaspoon of Colloidal Silver. Drink lots of plain water throughout the day as well.3 - Make and drink a lemony or peppermint tea in which after it cools a bit, I put six or seven drops of GSE liquid (it has a bit of a strong taste which disappears in flavored liquids). (Grapefruit seed extract).I don't believe Colloidal Silver will turn you blue unless you overuse it for a long long time. These methods are the only things that have been at least helping me not to be so miserable.Good luck and I hope it helps you too! ;)
    Sneezyone 3 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had Swollen Turbinates in The Nose for 1 - year now. They stay swollen 24/7 day & night. It has effected my way of living. I have been to 3 ENT'S and they keep saying there was nothing they could do for me. It was not sinus related? I have no signs of any sinus problems except the swollen turbinates. I do have tearing of the eyes when they swell up. I also get face pain and headaches. If the Ents cannot help me then who can? When the turbinates swell up inside my nose, the face pressure is so unbearable and causes me to be very dizzy. I have Addison's disease but I was told that had nothing to do with it. I also have a pinched nerve in my cervical area of the neck. I am to see a neurologist next week and hope he can tell me something. But what kind of doctor takes the turbinates out of your nose if the swelling won't go away? Afrin can bring swelling down but it makes it worse after using it for a long time. And I have been using it for a year and it has caused alot of problems. I have been on every nose spray there is and no luck. I have used neti pot but does not help either. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I just need the Swelling to go down so I can breath through my nose. Thank You
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi,Firstly you take advice for doctors to related the nose blockage.... and then nothing can be improve then you wake up morning and take a fresh air through nose. in such things you will improve the nose blockage.......Sushil Kumar
    jazdmarkets2 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I have had Swollen Turbinates in The Nose for 1 - year now. They stay swollen 24/7 day & night. It has effected my way of living. I have been to 3 ENT'S and they keep saying there was nothing they could do for me. It was not sinus related? I have no signs of any sinus problems except the swollen turbinates. I do have tearing of the eyes when they swell up. I also get face pain and headaches. If the Ents cannot help me then who can? When the turbinates swell up inside my nose, the face pressure is so unbearable and causes me to be very dizzy. I have Addison's disease but I was told that had nothing to do with it. I also have a pinched nerve in my cervical area of the neck. I am to see a neurologist next week and hope he can tell me something. But what kind of doctor takes the turbinates out of your nose if the swelling won't go away? Afrin can bring swelling down but it makes it worse after using it for a long time. And I have been using it for a year and it has caused alot of problems. I have been on every nose spray there is and no luck. I have used neti pot but does not help either. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I just need the Swelling to go down so I can breath through my nose. Thank YouHi, I went to an ENT (I live in NJ, USA) and he suggested endoscopic sinus surgery, and the first thing he said was that he was going to trim my turbinates! That's awful that your docs have told you No about that - I would say to try a different ENT. For now, swelling inside the nose can be shrunken with a prescription steroid spray (although I just heard not to use them if you are at risk for glaucoma) and ibuprofen has some shrinking abilities besides pain relief, also a little caffeine helps shrink too. For forehead pain, put something cold or warm & wet against it - if warmth feels better, washing your face with hot water (on nose especially) feels good & helps drain, also accupressure helps: place all 4 fingers (not thumb) of one hand over top of eyebrow and gradually press in harder and harder until it hurts, then release. Spicy foods that make your nose run are good - I like Hot & Sour soup from a Chinese restaurant. Crying helps me too - watch a sad movie. Great book: Sinus Survival by Dr. Ivker.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • The most important of them is narrowing of my nasal breathing passage. A few times in a year I face severe nasal blockage due to mucus accumulation and it lasts for several weeks. I think with this nasal blockage I am looking at three different phases. The first phase is when I have nasal blockage in the morning and sinus blockage in the afternoon. I can wake up with the nasal blockage. A small squirt of Afrin - only one spray in the affected nostril will cause it to drain and the breathing passages are open for the day. If the blockage happens in the middle of the night, I do not feel well and I wake up feeling like sh.t. The sinus blockage tends to happen more in the afternoon. This causes an irritation and mental confusion
    wahaneebelly 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I WAS ALSO SUFFERING FROM THIS............IT IS DUE nazala IN ANTIBIOTIC U DONT GET ANY RECORDS OF IT AND MORE OVER THEY TAKE IT AS INFECTION................IT IS BLOCKAGE OF LIQUID SUBSTANCE WHICH COMES OUT WHEN WE R SUFFERING FROM FEVER FROM THE NOSE............AND ANTIBIOTIC TRY TO DRY IT AND AT LAST UR UR FEVER GONES BUT UNEXPECTED NISE BLOCKAGE REMAINS WHICH CAUSES SEVERAL NEW PROBLEMS IN BODY LIKE HEADACHE,WHITE HAIRS IN YOUNG AGE AND B.P. HIGH ETC...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 00:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I WAS ALSO SUFFERING FROM THIS............IT IS DUE nazala IN ANTIBIOTIC U DONT GET ANY RECORDS OF IT AND MORE OVER THEY TAKE IT AS INFECTION................IT IS BLOCKAGE OF LIQUID SUBSTANCE WHICH COMES OUT WHEN WE R SUFFERING FROM FEVER FROM THE NOSE............AND ANTIBIOTIC TRY TO DRY IT AND AT LAST UR UR FEVER GONES BUT UNEXPECTED NISE BLOCKAGE REMAINS WHICH CAUSES SEVERAL NEW PROBLEMS IN BODY LIKE HEADACHE,WHITE HAIRS IN YOUNG AGE AND B.P. HIGH ETC...IT HAS SOLUTION IN ONLY HOMEOPATHIC AND IN AYURVEDIC........BUT A EASY WAY TO SOLVE IT IN ABOUT 30 DAYS COMPLETELY IS kapalbhati pranayama WITH anulom vilom pranayam...........IT 100% WORKS.................AND OTRIVIN IS TEMPORARY SOLUTION BUT SOONLY IT WILL RUIN UR LIFE AND U BECOME ADDICTED TO IT........
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 29, 2010
    • 00:34 PM
    Flag this Response
  • its block from flue right side of nose is blocked its due to nose bone maybe its not strait i have this problem in past but after operation its solve
    Chatwin 4 Replies
    • December 23, 2010
    • 07:18 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get caught hold of cold even in the summers and which stays for even months and longIs it a serious stuff?What should i do?
    jacky0403 30 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement