Discussions By Condition: Infectious diseases

nightmare with MRSA

Posted In: Infectious diseases 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 21, 2010
  • 03:03 AM

My 59year old mother went in for a double bypass and four days later went to the ER with horrible pain.She was sent home saying she must have just pulled a muscle or did too much.Back to ER two days later in horrible pain and short of breath,she was again sent home and her heart Dr.told her that her heart was fine and he did not see any problems. Following day her opening from the double bypass had burst open soaking her bed(wound dehiscence).Back to the ER this time of course admitted and they finally realized she had infection.I am very angry they did not keep her at least for 24 hour observation when at the ER,if not the first time,at least the second.It would have been nice if they would have ran some tests and found this earlier.What had happened is she was infected with MRSA while in hospital for the double bypass(most likely during the surgery itself).This has been a nightmare ever since!My mother had to have ribs removed and her sternum.After that she was on IV antibiotics for 2 months and had a wound the size of a gallon milkjug in the center of her chest(you could actually see her heart beating inside).She then had what they call flap reconstruction done (6 surgeries so far) and was living at home with a wound vac and IV antibiotics with nurses coming in once a day to check things.Wound was supposed to heal and Dr said they got all of the infection.After all the surgeries that she has had it is just horrible the pain!Unfortunately mom got sick again last week and back to ER and admitted.She was told there was infection back again.Plastic surgeon went back in and scraped more MRSA from ribs,took part of clavicle out,and scraped it also off of the heart.He put in two titanium plates to try to get some support from the missing ribs and sternum from the previous surgeries.He said now this is all he can do,it is beyond his expertise and thinks he did get all of the infection this time.(Who Knows!) This surgeon has never done this surgery before and from what I understand not too many have,but she is in horrible pain.We are just all hoping and praying that this will get better and not still be in more of her body.I guess right now I am very bitter and feel like this should not have happened in the first place,but since it did then it should have been caught before it turned into horrible osteomylitis that had eaten away her sternum and ribs.Someone should have caught this!I am not sure whats ahead for us,but if anyone has any advice or knows of anyone who specializes in this type of problem, please please let me know.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement