Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Female, 31, with 2 month long fever, no diagnosis

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: tjames423
  • July 9, 2010
  • 11:45 PM

I am a 31 year old female who, up until about 2 months ago, has been relatively healthy. I am including all available details of my illness below in an effort to find some answers. Thanks for taking the time to help!!

I have always had normal blood pressure and only get sick occasionally, usually with something that is going around my school since I am a teacher. I have no known medical conditions other than seasonal allergies. I am allergic to penicillin and very sensitive to steroids. I have a strong family history of autoimmune diseases (mother has Multiple Sclerosis, maternal uncle has Rheumatoid Arthritis, cousin has markers for scleroderma). There is also a family history of Polycystic kidney disease (maternal grandmother and uncle), and diabetes (both parents, both maternal grandparents, paternal grandmother). There is also a family history of cancer (paternal grandparents) and thyroid problems (mother and maternal grandmother)

May 18, 2010 After several days of extreme fatigue, sore throat, fever, headache, and stomach issues, I went to my doctor. At the doctors office I had a fever of 101.6. A strep test on tonsil swab was negative and I was diagnosed with an unknown virus and told to rest for a few days.

May 26 ,2010 The symptoms continued with no change from the week before, so I returned to the doctor. At the doctors office, I had a fever and my blood pressure was a little high. Since I have had mono twice (which is unusual), the doctor ordered blood work including CBC and mono test. All blood work was normal and the mono test showed a past infection but no current infection. The doctor again diagnosed a continual viral infection. Due to concern about family history, the doctor asked me to return for additional lab work after my fever went away.

June 8, 2010 Although I continued to feel fatigued, the fever was gone for several days and I returned to the doctor to have blood work. ANA w/reflex was negative. Rheumatoid factor was 7.1, which is normal. TSH was .505 which is normal although it is on the lower side of normal. Complete metabolic panel was normal, CBC with differential/ platelet was normal. The only abnormality was CRP which was 17. The doctor told me to get some rest and suggested rechecking CRP in 1 month. She also asked me to come back in the following week for fasting insulin, B12, and folic acid.

June 17, 2010 Fasting insulin, B12, folic acid were all normal. The doctor suggested that I might have been suffering from exhaustion, and suggested continued rest. The practice that I’ve been going to is closing for financial reasons and my doctor suggested that I follow up with another doctor to check CRP in July.

July 9, 2010 I have continued having a low grade fever (between 100-101 daily), headaches, and extreme fatigue. My lips are always super dry and chapped no matter how much water I drink. I am leaving for vacation this weekend so I went to a doctor’s care, hoping that maybe this time I have an infection. At the doctor’s office I had a fever of 101.1 and my blood pressure was a little high. The doctor did another CBC today and checked my urine. On the CBC my RDW was low (11.6) and my MPV is low (8.0). I looked at last months CBC and saw that my RDW was 12.9 and no MRV was listed. Today my urine test came back normal as did the rest of the CBC No CRP was done today. The doctor diagnosed me with an unknown virus and told me to get lots of rest and fluids. He also suggested I follow up after vacation for more blood work.

I am so frustrated because I have done very little except rest for the past 6 weeks or so, and I am no better than I was in the beginning. Any advice is appreciated!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement