Discussions By Condition: Anxiety

Clonazepam. Addictive?

Posted In: Anxiety 1 Replies
  • Posted By: subfl0wer
  • June 19, 2010
  • 04:02 AM

So I have developped moderate anxiety in the last month. For the first time. Had insomnia over it for weeks and the anxiety grew.
Saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed clonazepam to me saying it is a very mind dose (0.5 mg) and it should bring me back to normal in a week.
It did exactly that. I felt great, was sleeping again etc. So I stopped it when the week was over. Then my anxiety kicked in hard (harder than before) for 2 days. I was told by my pharmacist to take it again until I see my doc. So I took it - had another sleepless night, but felt a LITTLE less anxious.
My doc now gave me a MONTH prescription of 0.5mg to take when needed. SO I continued to find that my insomnia has still been the case.
The doc now is telling me to take 1mg (2 pills) a night. Did so - still didnt sleep well. Well, I passed out on my couch but then when I went to bed I was wide awake.
Decided to take melatonin to help out the sleep and it did! So now a week later Im on 1mg clonazepam and melatonin.
I really do not want to become addicted to this crap. I am trying all measures - taking long nature walks, breathing exercises, meditation twice a day etc. But the fact I go online (because Im an idiot) and read how benzos are so bad and addictive blah blah the anxiety kicks in again?
So I decided my plan was to cut down slowly per week. Take 1mg for another few days, then a pill and a half, then back to the 0.5 then 0.25 then done. Week by week. Can this work without heavy wd? And while I do my exercises ?
I need lots of advice from people with experience.
Thanks.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• I have OCD and ADHD, I also suffer from panic attacks on occasion. I have never had a problem going on and off benzos or stimulants. I can take them daily then just stop for extended periods of time until I need them again. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for ssri's or snri's. I guess the mechanism of the reuptake inhibitor drugs is much different bc I have terrible wd's whenever I miss a dose or wean off. I'd actually prefer to take only my klonopin, Xanax, and stimulant without the antidepressant as the others address all of my symptoms and I don't have the funky side effects or dependence. I guess bc my body really needs them or something. Good luck to you. I know some ppl develop a dependence on benzos but I just wanted to tell you that I've never developed a dependence and I've used them off and on for the past several years. I hope you feel better soon. Take care. So I have developped moderate anxiety in the last month. For the first time. Had insomnia over it for weeks and the anxiety grew.Saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed clonazepam to me saying it is a very mind dose (0.5 mg) and it should bring me back to normal in a week.It did exactly that. I felt great, was sleeping again etc. So I stopped it when the week was over. Then my anxiety kicked in hard (harder than before) for 2 days. I was told by my pharmacist to take it again until I see my doc. So I took it - had another sleepless night, but felt a LITTLE less anxious.My doc now gave me a MONTH prescription of 0.5mg to take when needed. SO I continued to find that my insomnia has still been the case. The doc now is telling me to take 1mg (2 pills) a night. Did so - still didnt sleep well. Well, I passed out on my couch but then when I went to bed I was wide awake. Decided to take melatonin to help out the sleep and it did! So now a week later Im on 1mg clonazepam and melatonin. I really do not want to become addicted to this crap. I am trying all measures - taking long nature walks, breathing exercises, meditation twice a day etc. But the fact I go online (because Im an idiot) and read how benzos are so bad and addictive blah blah the anxiety kicks in again? So I decided my plan was to cut down slowly per week. Take 1mg for another few days, then a pill and a half, then back to the 0.5 then 0.25 then done. Week by week. Can this work without heavy wd? And while I do my exercises ?I need lots of advice from people with experience.Thanks.:confused:
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 21, 2010
    • 08:15 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement