Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Loss of appetite

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Paula Beth
  • June 6, 2010
  • 10:33 PM

I am a 57 year old female. I am 5' tall and weigh 82 lbs. Here is my story:
In May of 2008 I had the piriformis muscle removed from my hip. It was pressing on the sciatic nerve and causing a lot of pain. My general health was good and had been taking Cymbalta (90 mg/day) for management of the nerve pain. My recovery was good and unremarkable. About 4 weeks later, I started experiencing lightheadedness and loss of appetite. I would feel full after eating a very small amount of food and began to lose weight. I went to the doctor to obtain a "return to work authorization" . My blood pressure was very low (90/60) and I had tenderness in my stomach- just above the waist. All of my lab tests were fine and my doctor ordered a tilt table test. This revealed that I suffer from POTS which could account for the early satiety and lightheadedness. However, this does not account for the stomach pain and tenderness. The pain isn't sharp but more like someone kicked me in the stomach. It increases if I eat too much food and I have lost a total of 20 pounds since having the surgery in May 2008 when I weighed around 100 pounds. I cannot eat "six or eight small meals a day" as many people suggest. At best, I eat 2 small meals a day.I have had every imaginable gasrointestinal test, including abdominal angiogram and nuclear testing.
My general health is fine and I only take Synthroid, Estrogen, Boniva and allergy medicine. I am currently taking Vicodin for the stomach pain, which helps but affects my quality of life.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement