Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Friend's Physical Change - Stroke?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: bobwhite
  • May 28, 2010
  • 03:14 PM

I recently saw a college friend for the first time in 25 years, and was shocked.
She was mentally sharp and very athletic.
Now, at age 59, she is obese, physically inert, and frequently does not comprehend simple travel instructions. Her skin is wrinkled like someone much older. She lingers on the phone, forgetful of time. Her voice is cracked like a much older person.
She said that she got lazy at menopause.
My worry is that she may have had a stroke and not known it.
Someone else mentioned the possibility of diabetes. Or could it be dementia setting in prematurely?

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• It could be dementia but could be host of other things like thyroid problems. I would hope she would get it checked out. It would be sad for it to be something simple to fix and it not get fixed.I recently saw a college friend for the first time in 25 years, and was shocked.She was mentally sharp and very athletic.Now, at age 59, she is obese, physically inert, and frequently does not comprehend simple travel instructions. Her skin is wrinkled like someone much older. She lingers on the phone, forgetful of time. Her voice is cracked like a much older person.She said that she got lazy at menopause.My worry is that she may have had a stroke and not known it.Someone else mentioned the possibility of diabetes. Or could it be dementia setting in prematurely?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for getting back. I googled thyroid, and it does sound like that could be the problem. I'll definitely try tactfully, to get her to see a doctor.It could be dementia but could be host of other things like thyroid problems. I would hope she would get it checked out. It would be sad for it to be something simple to fix and it not get fixed.
    bobwhite 20 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement