Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Twisted spine?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: lilcee
  • April 6, 2010
  • 09:46 PM

I've been having pain in my upper and middle back for over a year. I've had MRI and xrays done and no one can tell me what's wrong. I went to a back Dr at the Mayo Clinic thinking maybe he could tell me something. All he did was look at the results of my MRI and xray from over a year ago and tell me it's Fibromyalgia. I know I have Fibromyalgia but the pain in my back seems to be more in the spine itself. It hurts to lay down and to sit back against a chair. It gets really bad when I use my arms to do things like cooking, cleaning, dishes, driving etc. Or to reach, bend, or twist for something. He sent me to get physical therapy. The therapist said it looks like my spine is twisted - which is what I've been thinking for a long time. I can see that my top part of my body doesn't line up with the bottom part. The problem is that I can't seem to find a Dr who wants to help me or who will listen to me. My chest gets tight and hurts and I feel like I have the air squeezed out of me. So they checked my heart. Nothing.
I guess what I want to know is will therapy help a twisted spine or should I see another Dr or chiropractor? I've been to chiropractors with no help.
I just want some relief from all the pain and would like a Dr who will actually look at my spine

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• I've been having pain in my upper and middle back for over a year. I've had MRI and xrays done and no one can tell me what's wrong. I went to a back Dr at the Mayo Clinic thinking maybe he could tell me something. All he did was look at the results of my MRI and xray from over a year ago and tell me it's Fibromyalgia. I know I have Fibromyalgia but the pain in my back seems to be more in the spine itself. It hurts to lay down and to sit back against a chair. It gets really bad when I use my arms to do things like cooking, cleaning, dishes, driving etc. Or to reach, bend, or twist for something. He sent me to get physical therapy. The therapist said it looks like my spine is twisted - which is what I've been thinking for a long time. I can see that my top part of my body doesn't line up with the bottom part. The problem is that I can't seem to find a Dr who wants to help me or who will listen to me. My chest gets tight and hurts and I feel like I have the air squeezed out of me. So they checked my heart. Nothing.I guess what I want to know is will therapy help a twisted spine or should I see another Dr or chiropractor? I've been to chiropractors with no help.I just want some relief from all the pain and would like a Dr who will actually look at my spineI just read your story and though I have no answers I do understand what you are feeling! My daughter is going through this too! She has a multitude of issues but one of them is that her spine is rotating down on the bottom portion and she also has scoliosis and an extra vertebra?? So it sounds like you spine is twisted or rotated at the top portion? We are and have been for several years trying to get her some help too. Mayo Clinic was a joke here as well.Oh yeah before I forget....they did give her a cortisone injection in her lower back around her sciatic nerve and low and behold she has gotten some relief! Have you tried that or has it been offered? We did all the physical therapy, chiropractors, rehab doc. etc and finally they did send her to a pain doc. and he is helping her. I'd love to hear how you are if you feel up to it... Praying for you now.God bless! Hang in there!
    klaritydawn 20 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi, thanks for that reply. No, they haven't offered me any kind of shots. Just the therapy. I don't like to take drugs so I didn't ask for anything. I do take flexril or ibruprofin if I really need it. I went to physical therapy yesterday and it was so painful.The thing is the Rheumatolagist (sp?) at Mayo Clinic told me I have Fibro and it was brought on by the problem with my back. The back Dr told me my back problem was caused by the Fibro. I'm tired of going round and round with Drs. I want to find a Dr who will actually listen to me. I was told that Mayo Clinic was the best place to go because they find what others Drs can't. So far I've had no help, just keep getting passed around to different Drs and they just look at my old records from over a year ago - but my back is a lot worse than it was then. At first I liked Mayo Clinic, everyone is so nice and they are quick getting you in and out and doing tests and stuff but they aren't telling me anyting.I'm thinking of getting a second opinion with a different Back Dr if I can find a good one and not tell him about the other xrays and MRI I had and have him start form scratch.This is so frustrating.Well, guess I rambled long enough, thank you for your reply and I hope yo have a good week.
    lilcee 11 Replies Flag this Response
  • I hear yous. I never had any back problem. I worked in the lumber industries with a chainsaw. I fished lobster and crab. Always used my back and never a problem. Then one day, I went to get something out of the back of a half ton truck. I place my right hand on top of the tailgate and went to pull the latch with my left hand. Doing so, I slipped on the ice and caught myself with my right hand. I twisted as I slipped.Sorta like an owl looking behind himself. After 3 weeks of being stiff and sore, I went to a chiropractor. His intial scans of my back showed 3 pulls on the spine. The worst being 300%. After 3 weeks and 9 sessions, the scan showed no pressure against the nerves, but now the muscle pulls on the spine were far worst. I now had 1 of 500% and 2 pulls of over 1000%. He quickly commented on the cleared pressure on my nerves and stated that was what was important.He quickly sent me on my way disregarding the increased muscle pulls. I tried going to work for a week, gobbling pills for the pain. I had to quit. Its now been 2 years. I 'am better the second year compared to the first, but still on hydromorhine 3 times daily for the pain. I can feel a twist in it. My hips are not parralell to my shoulders. The more I do, the more pain Im in. My best postion is laying on my stomach on the floor. My left side of my back is where I have the pain. Regardless of the MRI showing a herniated disc on my right side. The muscles on my left side are in contraction as if they are pulling the spine away from nerves on my right side. Im 45 years old and in very good physical condition.How I wish I had a cure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2011
    • 04:39 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement