Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Asperger's Syndrome and Learning Disabilities

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: MetalManiacDude
  • April 5, 2010
  • 02:11 AM

I don't remember when, but I was diagnosed with learning disabilities at an extremely young age (somewhere around 4 or 5 years of age in the late 1980’s). I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in August 2008 after a neuropsychological test that I took in June 2008. I was 24 at the time and I felt it was just unnecessary to take it. I originally did not want to take it, however I was really convinced in taking it by a counselor of mine who works for a non-profit organization known as VESID. VESID paid for this test. Not sure if you people know what this agency is. I only go there, because of my learning disabilities (which I also feel I don't have... I'll get to that later).

In the past, I was thought to have Asperger's according to one test I took as a really young child. Though, I don't think I have it and I refuse to say that I have it. Extremely early in my life, I was tested for learning disabilities. That's something that I have, though they thought I had more. As for the learning disabilities, I was tested extremely early and it was not fair at all. I should have been in mainstream classes like everyone else and I promise you I would have done fine. That really made my schooling difficult and miserable for me. It was difficult for me to endure.

I am positive that I was misdiagnosed. I have read about people with Asperger's countless amounts of time. I don't even believe it is real. It's a victim of a parody website and they think it's a joke. However, my mother insists I definitely have it and she wants me to read these articles about it. I do not accept the fact that I have this and I do not acknowledge. I do not tell people I have it, I only tell them I was simply diagnosed with it. It is a misdiagnosis. I want to whatever I can do in my power to get this straightened out. That's why I posted.

This has not made my life easier at all. Taking that neurological test was not necessary and it brought back terrible memories of myself taking these tests while I was in school. I was tested throughout the years in elementary school, junior high school and even high school. By high school, I was in mainstream classes. However, I was in resource room during high school. That still bothered me since I was with students that actually had it.

I wish I could go back in time and prevent those series of events that happened. I really don't want to heavily into detail, I'll be telling the bad parts of my childhood. Overall, I had an excellent childhood. I'm not going to lie to you on that one. My parents were very loving; they gave me everything in the world (I was one of the few who had both a Super Nintendo and a Sega Genesis, think about it!), etc. My childhood was really fantastic.

What should I do? I'm considering in hiring an attorney and taking this to court. However, is that a good idea? Will it work? If so, I want a lot of money out of this. I'm not going through a good time in my life at this time, I've been out of work for over 2 years, I dropped out of college, etc. I really want to do something that will change my life. It may be too late with the misdiagnosis of my learning disabilities, because that has all been said and done. Now as for my misdiagnosis of Asperger's, I know it is one. It has really consumed me and I can't take it anymore. If you have any helpful information on the steps I need to take, please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. :D

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement