Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Asperger's Syndrome and Learning Disabilities

Posted In: Medical Errors 12 Replies
  • Posted By: MetalManiacDude
  • April 5, 2010
  • 02:11 AM

I don't remember when, but I was diagnosed with learning disabilities at an extremely young age (somewhere around 4 or 5 years of age in the late 1980’s). I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in August 2008 after a neuropsychological test that I took in June 2008. I was 24 at the time and I felt it was just unnecessary to take it. I originally did not want to take it, however I was really convinced in taking it by a counselor of mine who works for a non-profit organization known as VESID. VESID paid for this test. Not sure if you people know what this agency is. I only go there, because of my learning disabilities (which I also feel I don't have... I'll get to that later).

In the past, I was thought to have Asperger's according to one test I took as a really young child. Though, I don't think I have it and I refuse to say that I have it. Extremely early in my life, I was tested for learning disabilities. That's something that I have, though they thought I had more. As for the learning disabilities, I was tested extremely early and it was not fair at all. I should have been in mainstream classes like everyone else and I promise you I would have done fine. That really made my schooling difficult and miserable for me. It was difficult for me to endure.

I am positive that I was misdiagnosed. I have read about people with Asperger's countless amounts of time. I don't even believe it is real. It's a victim of a parody website and they think it's a joke. However, my mother insists I definitely have it and she wants me to read these articles about it. I do not accept the fact that I have this and I do not acknowledge. I do not tell people I have it, I only tell them I was simply diagnosed with it. It is a misdiagnosis. I want to whatever I can do in my power to get this straightened out. That's why I posted.

This has not made my life easier at all. Taking that neurological test was not necessary and it brought back terrible memories of myself taking these tests while I was in school. I was tested throughout the years in elementary school, junior high school and even high school. By high school, I was in mainstream classes. However, I was in resource room during high school. That still bothered me since I was with students that actually had it.

I wish I could go back in time and prevent those series of events that happened. I really don't want to heavily into detail, I'll be telling the bad parts of my childhood. Overall, I had an excellent childhood. I'm not going to lie to you on that one. My parents were very loving; they gave me everything in the world (I was one of the few who had both a Super Nintendo and a Sega Genesis, think about it!), etc. My childhood was really fantastic.

What should I do? I'm considering in hiring an attorney and taking this to court. However, is that a good idea? Will it work? If so, I want a lot of money out of this. I'm not going through a good time in my life at this time, I've been out of work for over 2 years, I dropped out of college, etc. I really want to do something that will change my life. It may be too late with the misdiagnosis of my learning disabilities, because that has all been said and done. Now as for my misdiagnosis of Asperger's, I know it is one. It has really consumed me and I can't take it anymore. If you have any helpful information on the steps I need to take, please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. :D

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• I usually don't do this and I want to bump this. This has gotten over 100 views. No one knows? Please give me help and advice.
    MetalManiacDude 5 Replies Flag this Response
  • * Warning, i dont think you will like my post.* I'm not going through a good time in my life at this time, I've been out of work for over 2 years, I dropped out of college, etc umm if you are correct and you dont have any REAL medical issues causing you issues (You not only deny your Aspergers diagnoses but also the learning issues)... why on earth if you dont have any serious medical issues, have you been out of work for 2 yrs?? So you are healthy then but just not really bothering to get to job or stay in collage??? I have read about people with Asperger's countless amounts of time. I don't even believe it is real. That's your choice if you personally want to not believe Aspergers exist. i personally know several with this disorder and they are certainly not like most normals and they do struggle with things including holding a steady job.. Have you consdered that you may possibly be in some kind of denial. I'm considering in hiring an attorney and taking this to court. However, is that a good idea? Will it work? If you do that.. you will need to prove you actually dont fit the Asperger's criteria. If others who know you say you do...I cant see how you'd win in court............... Why didnt you stay in collage or have a job by now like "normal" people do?????? (serious question)
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you very much for responding. I highly appreciate the response, it does not matter if it's positive, negative or in-between. :) I have been out of work due to the recession in the U.S. (possibly other countries), unfortunately. I was working and going to college well before I found out my diagnosis. I have been looking extremely hard finding jobs and I have filled out a lot of applications. I see a job coach 2 times a month and she says it's hard to find work out there. It's the recession the U.S. is in and it's extremely hard to find a job. I am part of that 9.3% of the unemployed people living in the U.S. I am also going through financial issues.I am not in denial, I genuinely and truly believe that I do not have this. Though I was talking to my mother about this and she says I definitely have it. I do not believe it and I never will. She was telling me some positive things about Asperger's, I don't buy it. I never did and I never will. I want nothing to do with the disorder.I know that it will be a tough obstacle to convince people that I do not have it in court and there are definitely people who know I have it. I would also have to take that test again, which I really don't want to do at all.I don't like how this diagnosis has affected me, I don't want to be associated with the Asperger's/autism community at all. I will say this and I do not deny this, I am gay/bisexual (leaning towards gay more). I'm in the LGBT community and I am really proud of that. I am a neurotypical individual and that's that.
  • Thank you very much for responding. I highly appreciate the response, it does not matter if it's positive, negative or in-between. :) I have been out of work due to the recession in the U.S. (possibly other countries), unfortunately. I was working and going to college well before I found out my diagnosis. I have been looking extremely hard finding jobs and I have filled out a lot of applications. I see a job coach 2 times a month and she says it's hard to find work out there. It's the recession the U.S. is in and it's extremely hard to find a job. I am part of that 9.3% of the unemployed people living in the U.S. I am also going through financial issues.. Glad you didnt take offense ok :) .. i myself arent in America and it does sound like you are looking for work then, i didnt realise America (where i was assuming you were from)was in such a poor state. Do you realise that Asperger's peoples are more likely to be gay than the general community :P .... (thou of cause that dont necessarily mean you have Aspergers) .......... Taking an Aspergers test again, i personally dont see how that will change your diagnoses, (unless you lied and hence then answered questions differently!) as i assume this test was based on just answers to questions. From what ive seen of questions of Aspergers assessments.. they arent really things which would change... also much of the assessment is based on ones past history too esp childhood (as Aspergers behaviour can be hidden as one gets older), so of cause that will always be the same and wont change and still point to Aspergers if that is where it pointed to before.
  • It was a neuropsychological test. Normally this test costs thousands of dollars. I was going to this agency at the time and they paid for the test. I went with my gut instinct by saying no to it. One of my problems is that I am not really assertive and I got sucked in by taking it. I did not want to take it in the first place.I really do not like the diagnosis. To me it was like this, they just gave me a diagnosis just for the sake of it. Now Asperger's is not very well understood here in the U.S., that's another problem. That's why I do not have it.Hopefully I will have this problem rectified, I am considering in contacting the neuropsychologist about this.
  • It’s a good idea try to consult him at the earliest. It takes time to get cure. I hope you will be fine once you go through the test. What type of symptoms are you facing? My friend also had this disorder but now it is cured.
    Skyler H 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Skyler.. i are interested in your post. i didnt think Asperger's can be cured as such?? What do you mean by cured?? How did the person change??? im currently going throu Asperger's assessment due to all the different things about me... and trying to understand myself
  • It’s a good idea try to consult him at the earliest. It takes time to get cure. I hope you will be fine once you go through the test. What type of symptoms are you facing? My friend also had this disorder but now it is cured.I have some social issues, however not major enough like a person who truly has Asperger's Syndrome.
  • People with Asperger's may learn how to "blend in" and appear normal the older they get, this is esp the case with females with Aspergers. Diagnosing adult females with Asperger's is difficult due to this and hence a big part of the diagnostic procedure is getting the childhood history. i'm 39yrs and have had to get others who knew me (parents and others) as a child to fill in many pages of forms. Diagnoses may be based strongly on childhood. The Asperger's person may not be aware of how strongly others are percieving that one as different. (i got a few shocks to see the answers others gave on me, i wasnt even aware that certain things stood out to them). A person with Aspergers who has learnt to blend in and not be noticable.. still has Asperger's (even if its hidden). Asperger's people "think" differently to neurotypical people even if they have learnt to "act" like a neurotypical person or to fake it to be normal.
  • This is helpful information. I am still extremely unsatisfied with my diagnosis and I will do anything to cure this. I am even up for taking another test again and I will make sure that I definitely pass it. I cannot live the rest of my life with this diagnosis at all. I turned 26 when I last posted here. I was told by my mother about things that makes me an "aspie" and I do not buy it at all. She knows based on what my early childhood was like. The one thing I will say is that I was just different and unique from other children, that is all.I know it has been nearly 2 months since my last post. I unfortunately got out of an online relationship on June 3rd due to circumstances beyond my control. This diagnosis (ironically) helped me when I discovered about this break-up. The mother sadly sent me a message informing about me it and she said would've been harder on me if I didn't have that diagnosis. I will not get into any more details since it is highly personal. However, I was in another online relationships and that one worked in the past. I literally met the person the next day we met. That was only because the person lived in the same town. However in due time, I would have met my partner eventually.I am still uncomfortable with my diagnosis. If I could go back in time, I would make myself not take that neuropsychological test. I will say that I'm on somewhat better terms with my learning disabilities diagnosis nowadays. Please I need help and I need to get this rectified. Thank you very much for your time.
  • This is helpful information. I am still extremely unsatisfied with my diagnosis and I will do anything to cure this. I am even up for taking another test again and I will make sure that I definitely pass it. I cannot live the rest of my life with this diagnosis at all. I turned 26 when I last posted here. I was told by my mother about things that makes me an "aspie" and I do not buy it at all. She knows based on what my early childhood was like. The one thing I will say is that I was just different and unique from other children, that is all.I know it has been nearly 2 months since my last post. I unfortunately got out of an online relationship on June 3rd due to circumstances beyond my control. This diagnosis (ironically) helped me when I discovered about this break-up. The mother sadly sent me a message informing about me it and she said would've been harder on me if I didn't have that diagnosis. I will not get into any more details since it is highly personal. However, I was in another online relationships and that one worked in the past. I literally met the person the next day we met. That was only because the person lived in the same town. However in due time, I would have met my partner eventually.I am still uncomfortable with my diagnosis. If I could go back in time, I would make myself not take that neuropsychological test. I will say that I'm on somewhat better terms with my learning disabilities diagnosis nowadays. Please I need help and I need to get this rectified. Thank you very much for your time.Why is hearing that you may have a learning disability or Asperger's something that makes you uncomfortable? You could have had one of those diseases that kills you in a few months or a severe physical handicap. Neither a learning disability nor Asperger's takes your life and is not noticeable when someone sees you walking down the street. Unless someone is trained to assess either no one has to know. Perhaps you do not like having a disability labeled although you have labeled yourself as gay/bisexual and that does not seem to bother you. What is it about being labeled LD or Asperger's that is really bothering you? The label should not affect being hired for a job or going to school. Either would make it possible to give you the best support to succeed in whatever you choose to do. I know many people with LD and Asperger's that do not let the label or disability hold them back or keep them from doing whatever they want to do. What do you think will change if you no longer show a diagnosis of LD or Asperger's? What do you want to happen? Will this change the way your friends and family treat/view you? What is the diagnosis keeping you from doing? What else can you do instead of going to court to change how you feel? Not acknowledging the diagnosis is one way to avoid the situation. Even if you convinced someone to change the diagnosis on paper, would it change your behavior that seems to be what the diagnosis is based on? There are very certain characteristics to both LD and Asperger's that can not be changed or hidden. They would still be there. What need would it fulfill if your diagnosis revoked? There are many people who have been very successful in their lives because they have had Asperger's. You may not have found what will make you that success yet. Have you tried embracing this rather than fighting? I wonder what that outcome could be.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• I know several people who were assumed to have aspergers and really have Pandas. Please check your strep titers and DNAse B. Antibiotics might be your cure.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement