Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Anxiety or...?

Posted In: Mental conditions 25 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 3, 2007
  • 02:13 PM

This is my story:

I am a 19 year old female, and was first diagnosed with anxiety disorder in the fall of 2005 by a pediatrician. ( I was 18 at the time) He immediately gave me the SSRI, Paxil and I was instructed to gradually increase the dose. Well, I was doing fine at about 20 mgs but when he upped the dose to 30, my whole world fell apart. I woke up one morning suicidial, angry, heard voices in my head telling me to kill myself...not fun. Withdrew off the drug under doctor's orders and was completely fine for a few months. I was seeing a therapist just to talk about my day and my anxiety issues. I ended out 2005 happier and less anxiety-ridden.

In January-March of 2006, I would have like 2-3 weeks during the month were I was a complete nutcase. I felt like people were behind me, anxious, depressed, crying a lot, extremely agitated. The first few months had a pattern: For two weeks, I was happy about life, everything was peachy keen and then bam! two weeks of utter ***l..During what I used to refer to as my "possessed weeks", I felt classic PMS symptoms but to a severity that I hope no woman ever has to feel. One month, I cut cold turkey on caffeine and my symptoms didnt go away, the caffeine withdrawal was unbearbale so I started drinking it again. Also, on an appetite suppressant (Cortislim) I felt extremely agitated, like everything bothered me (noise, lights, people, objects..) I can't explain how I felt exactly. As weird as this sounds, first two weeks in the month I could go to church and last two, I couldn't stand it. I don't know if "religious" feelings have anything to do with mood problems or not, but I think so now. ...I've been diagnosed with Bipolar/Depression/Anxiety/OCD and given too many medications to count. I'm off all my meds now ( my doing..) feeling slightly better, but I still drink caffeine. Could all of this be caused by caffeine? I've head of caffeie allergy/mental toxicity) any advice would be great!

Reply Flag this Discussion

25 Replies:

• "Spiritual Feelings" can be a Zinc deficiency.I wonder how is your diet like. Do you eat sugar, pastries, tuna, processed food? Do you suffer from bad breath, whitish tongue?How are your stools?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 04:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My diet does consist of a lot of sugar/processed foods. Can you further explain this zinc defiency please. thanks for responding.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 05:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I think that all your symptoms and feelings of doom and irritability are signs of nutritional deficiencies and toxicities.Sugar depletes the cells from their energy, it is an "anti nutrient", processed foods are often prepared with methods that create toxicity. Prepared food has lost up to 75% of its nutritional value.Sometimes people with zinc deficiencies feel something "sublime" or feel like they are having an spiritual experience.People with magnesium deficiency feel irritable and act harsh and passive aggressive to people around them.Toxicity in your intestines can create feelings of doom and suicide.Most of institutionalized suffer from allergies and "reactions" to the food they are fed but it goes unnoticed.Read "Never Be Sick Again", go to beyondhealth.com and read their articles and the audio file (radio show archives).I think you have a sick colon-Start eating leafy greens, lots of fruit and vegetables ( all fresh).You can't function without the coffee and sugar because you are not feeding yourself properly.Good Luck! Be Well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 05:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Wow...everything you mentioned makes perfect sense. I have for a long time thought that America's progressive incline in mental illness has been because of poor nutrition and possible allergies. I'll check into the site and the book too. This is stuff my doctor would have never told me. Im on 2 days no caffeine...im really sleepy and fatigued, and slightly irritable. Ive began intaking less sugar, but thats going to be the hardest by far to eliminate. My question is this though...how come so many of us "mentally ill" are being decieved and not getting the proper help we need. just a thought...thanks for your advice.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 08:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Because mental health is a huge business in America! One thing is having a neurological disease, but psychiatry does not discover causes of conditions, it only mask them.Make yourself as many fresh vegetables juice as you can drink with celery, carrots, onions, radish, beets, etc...put some fruit in it as well. I was having horrible "panic attacks", palpitations, could not sleep, and it all look very suspicious. I knew I didn't have any "emotions"- it was all physiological...my tummy hurt too. I was constipated and I initially thought it was something I ate at the mall. I was taking benadryl for allergies, and that sent me to the hospital. Doctor asked me to continue taking benadryl.I am lucky I dind't givemy self a liver failure. I was throwing drugs to an intoxicated body!So I started "cleansing my body", I discovered how that "mental stuff" usually starts at the colon. I happen to be having a systemic infection. My immune system nearly killed me a month ago and I was crying for no reason and I felt doom and like I wanted to die.I had an internal intoxication- there is no concrete diagnosis, but my test showed that my liver was overproducing proteins to fight off something. I detox by quiting the sugar, the coffee, the pastries, the process food, etc.Apparently I have candida in my intestines, so I was not absorbing nutrients.Initially I was given weird diagnosis like "panic attack" "sadness" etc, in spite of me not telling anyone that I felt suicidal. I know that was not me. Anyways- everything is clearing, I am just feeling tired- but the doctor say to read that book and wait like 6 weeks to feel better. I am up for a follow up visit pretty soon.Good LuckHappy Detox-you'll feel better.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 08:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My take on this is that you're just an extremely sensitive and more introspective type of person and that at age 18 some nutball doctor labelled you into some category and started screwing up your perfectly fine maturing body and brain with powerful drugs that threw it all out of whack. Also, the labels probably intefered with your own self concept and identity at an age which is supposed to mark development into "adulthood." If you want to quit caffeine and sugers to help your health, then cool, but as for the mental health, it is not as simple as eating a given substance and clearing up complex emotions or thoughts. Sometimes when a person feeling anxious it is because they have reasons to be anxious. Places like schools, churches, and sometimes family gathering ARE often really creepy. You have four different mental illnesses diagnosed already? I can tell just by that that your doctors have been label-happy and have just been grasping at straws and not addressed any core focus that might be causing all the symptoms or be the root of your mental illness if you have one. They seem like they prescribe drugs for you by rolling dice or something too, at your age you should not have been on "more different drugs than you could count." I'm glad you're smart enough to have shut the drugs off, hopefully there was no permanent damage. You need to narrow down your diagnosis for yourself. You sound like a classic Anxiety Disorder case, I would bet the symptoms that qualify you for those other 3 mental disorders in fact all trace back to anxiety and do not constitute their own disorders in your case. If your therapist is not helping I'd say ditch them too, most of them make things worse by encouraging the client to identify more and more with the lifelong victim mentallity.
    Non Servium 85 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 02:12 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks NonServium! In general, I feel like a walking experiment and yes I do have identity issues. I just recently went off 3 drugs, and I still feel like some of the effects are in me ;/ I really hope there was no lasting damage. When I first started suspecting the drugs, noone would believe me except my mom, and she encouraged me to withdraw off my medicines, because my doctor just kept handing them out. I've taken Paxil, Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Lamictal, Lexapro, and Cymbalta over the course of the past yr and 1/2. On Geodon, I felt like I was under a bad drug tip...extreme anxiety, had my very first panic attack on Geodon while getting a pedicure, felt unreal. Abilify gave me bad aggression problems (almost lost my job). On Seroquel, I couldn't stay awake...and my doctor told me he gave it to me so I could sleep (couldnt he have just given me a sleeping pill?) Lexapro wasn't all that bad, and I actually felt better on it, but it stopped working, so he combined it with Lamictal. Then switched me to Cymbalta....the second I woke up suicidial I said basically, "screw this!" I withdrew off all my medicines at the end of November-December...so, im still going through withdrawl (zaps in my head, headaches, weird mood swings..) So thats my drug story. I'm 19...I feel like a ***n lab rat. Yes, I'm very hypersensisitive. thanks for your input. *hugs*P.s I'm on my 4th day no caffeine (no headache yet...)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 02:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Hi there, it'7:30 a.m. here,i've been curious, where are you if your four hr's difference from me? Well it don't matter. Sounds like an overload of toxic substances & these come from various means. I suggest you google search a clinic that deals in these matters, & try organic food stuffs. Hope i've helped.
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 03:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I live in the Southeast hognog. I do know that a range of symptoms encompass anxiety disorder, so its very possible that is all it is. As for my body having toxic substances in it...how can normal food cause that? Just wondering...thanks for all your help.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 07:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I live in the Southeast hognog. I do know that a range of symptoms encompass anxiety disorder, so its very possible that is all it is. As for my body having toxic substances in it...how can normal food cause that? Just wondering...thanks for all your help.Most people immediately think of toxins as things coming from outside the body, like pesticides and prescription drugs. But the truth is most of our toxic load comes from the body itself. Normal healthy metabolism produces lots of metabolic waste products, just as a factory will produce industrial waste. Abnormal metabolism produces even more toxins. In fact detoxification is the biggest single item in our biochemical budget, not only to handle outside toxins, but to get rid of metabolic products like used hormones and neurotransmitters. Otherwise, these can build up in the body and cause cellular malfunction and disease.At some point, we have to get rid of nearly every molecule that the body encounters. To do this, our detoxification system involves a complex process to render a molecule inactive. This system is entirely dependent on the foods we eat for the raw materials it needs.Our detoxification systems are designed to keep us in good health. Problems occur when we eat poor diets and fail to supply the system with what it needs, or if we overload the system beyond its capacity with too many toxins. In today's world, virtually every American is in some degree of toxic overload.fromhttp://www.beyondhealth.com/articles/toxic-loads.htm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 07:48 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Thank's for sharing, i'm from north america, here is what i'd like you to do; Get on you search engine & put natural health clinics in and search. It will give you quite a bit of information, just the kind your looking for. As when it comes to every day food stuffs, you would be shocked to learn of some of the ingrdients. Why not try organic food stuffs, you'll be more than glad you did! I'm not sure if i told you about the herb tumeric, try taking i capsual a day, it "will" help to cleanse your system. I should know, i'm living proof of it's benifits. Good Luck, your on the right road, as always In His Service.
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 5, 2007
    • 11:04 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• This is the same person who started this post, but I've got some further questions concering my anxiety symptoms. This is kinda weird, but sometimes I get disoriented and objects appear unfamiliar as well as people. It's like, I know who they are and their relationship to me, but it doesn't feel right...is this just anxiety symptoms or something I should be considered with. Also, I have periods where I am like extremeley sensitive to EVERYTHING (noise, touch, like hearing certain words sometimes doesnt sound right or i dunno stuff just doesnt feel right..) is this all just anxiety? thanks for any help and insight.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 04:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I still think that is malnutrition and toxicity. Most household cleaners and cosmetics are petroleum based and contain neurotoxins.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 04:22 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks NonServium! In general, I feel like a walking experiment and yes I do have identity issues. I just recently went off 3 drugs, and I still feel like some of the effects are in me ;/ I really hope there was no lasting damage. When I first started suspecting the drugs, noone would believe me except my mom, and she encouraged me to withdraw off my medicines, because my doctor just kept handing them out. I've taken Paxil, Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Lamictal, Lexapro, and Cymbalta over the course of the past yr and 1/2. On Geodon, I felt like I was under a bad drug tip...extreme anxiety, had my very first panic attack on Geodon while getting a pedicure, felt unreal. Abilify gave me bad aggression problems (almost lost my job). On Seroquel, I couldn't stay awake...and my doctor told me he gave it to me so I could sleep (couldnt he have just given me a sleeping pill?) Lexapro wasn't all that bad, and I actually felt better on it, but it stopped working, so he combined it with Lamictal. Then switched me to Cymbalta....the second I woke up suicidial I said basically, "screw this!" I withdrew off all my medicines at the end of November-December...so, im still going through withdrawl (zaps in my head, headaches, weird mood swings..) So thats my drug story. I'm 19...I feel like a ***n lab rat. Yes, I'm very hypersensisitive. thanks for your input. *hugs* P.s I'm on my 4th day no caffeine (no headache yet...)Thanks hon, you are adorable. I empathize with your situation because my father has also been diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder and is on Paxil. He feels it helps him, I feel it might, but that the price of side effects is too high, as it seems to make him a zombie. Remember, do not allow others to tell you your personal concerns and anxieties are invalid just because you have a disorder. All people have real problems too, even those with a disorder. Drugs are rarely the answer. I feel that mental "disorders" can only fully be treated with a holistic approach - body, heart, mind, and spirit. Ah, I see as I'm writing this you've just posted another message. Feel free to e-mail me or IM me if you can and would like to talk, my addy online is Teamnorm@aol.com
    Non Servium 85 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 04:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Hello, the holistic approach is an excellent way of dealing with this malady. Just by taking an herb called tumeric i've seen some major, major changes in my life. What it does is to cleanse the toxins that have built up over the years, out of our bodys. We need to do this so that our bodys natural system is allowed to repair itself. All you need to take is one capsual per day,& in my case saw major changes within the first month I also have this distinct advantage, which is Prayer to My Lord & Saviour ***********t, & He gives me great comfort when i lean upon Him. Please don't be shy, after all He Is Your Heavenly Father. Try all of these and let me know how you feel after a month, Thank's, for letting me share.
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 04:59 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Hello, the holistic approach is an excellent way of dealing with this malady. Just by taking an herb called tumeric i've seen some major, major changes in my life. What it does is to cleanse the toxins that have built up over the years, out of our bodys. We need to do this so that our bodys natural system is allowed to repair itself. All you need to take is one capsual per day,& in my case saw major changes within the first month I also have this distinct advantage, which is Prayer to My Lord & Saviour ***********t, & He gives me great comfort when i lean upon Him. Please don't be shy, after all He Is Your Heavenly Father. Try all of these and let me know how you feel after a month, Thank's, for letting me share.Turmeric (Curcuma longa), the bright yellow of the spice rainbow, is a powerful medicine that has long been used in the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine as an anti-inflammatory agent to treat a wide variety of conditions, including flatulence, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, bloody urine, hemorrhage, toothache, bruises, chest pain, and colic.A Potent, Yet Safe Anti-InflammatoryThe volatile oil fraction of turmeric has been demonstrated significant anti-inflammatory activity in a variety of experimental models. Even more potent than its volatile oil is the yellow or orange pigment of turmeric, which is called curcumin. Curcumin is thought to be the primary pharmacological agent in turmeric. In numerous studies, curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects have been shown to be comparable to the potent drugs hydrocortisone and phenylbutazone as well as over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents such as Motrin. Unlike the drugs, which are associated with significant toxic effects (ulcer formation, decreased white blood cell count, intestinal bleeding), curcumin produces no toxicity.http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78#healthbenefits
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 00:05 PM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Good Morning! and a "good" one it is, as we go about our dutys. Yours is the second of two letters i've in my mail box this morning. By the way, it's 4:38 a.m. here in North America, not sure what time it is in your location. After reading both of your letters, which i've saved to my favorite's list, i can push on. There "are" so many people out here in lifes arena, it is very time consumming! and i thank my Lord ****s for allowing to minister to the needs of so many people. Sounds to me like you have a pretty firm grip on your situation, so with that in mind i'm on the road again to find others that need some solice in their lives. Please feel free to comunicate with me from time to time,, As Always, In His Service.
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 00:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I can relate! (unfortunately!)I have the same list of diagnosises, have been on a long list of meds, and have at some point experienced almost every symptom you spoke about and maybe even more!I've been off my meds for a bunch of years now. I still drown myself in coffee even though I know full well that when I don't drink it I feel better. I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose. Yea nutrition is also very important. Eating (or drinking) too much bad stuff or too little good stuff will ruin you! Bipolar disorder unfortunately carries around with it the some symptoms from about 10 or 20 other mental illnesses, that sounds to me like exactly what you have (at least I think thats what I have).I don't think that caffiene itself has the ability to put a hold on you as you described but it can really affect you. Bipolar disorder is separated from other diagnosis for the simple fact that emotional statesthese things come in phases. Can you say mood swing? Yes, thats exactly why one day/week your a schizophrenic and the next day/week your a weeping willow. When you are in an altered state is when you are probably feeling sensitive (times such as these I would highly reccomend a good psychiatrist only since your perception and decision making is definately out of order and you could incoherantly become a danger to yourself).Hopefully it will not come to that again but snce you are feeling better right now you should start making changes right now to avoid things. My suggestion to you is this: lay off the coffee a little bit, do your best to eat a regular balanced diet and make sure you are well rested each day. If your still feeling horrible then you might need a little more than that until you can get a grasp on what you're dealing with. In my experience so far this is not something that ever really goes away but it can be easily dealt with over time. Keep up with your therapy and if you need medication look for someone who has alot of experience in treating the disorder.A possitive attitude will carry you far .... let me know where I can buy one :)No but seriously everything will be ok as long as you want it to be! Physical health with give you the strength to go pick up your meds. (laughing) Just trying to keep the subject light! Take care ... seriously.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 01:49 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I recently went to my doctor because I was feeling tense all of the time and having full-blown panic attacks. She gave me Xanax, but I hate drugs, so I only took them sparingly. At the same time, I thought it might help if I stopped taking caffeine. My withdrawal from caffeine was terrible. I was completely nauseous for about a week and depressed for a week after that. Also for the first week, I had uncontrollable shaking and could not sleep. I had terrible, irrational thoughts.If your symptoms are worse at night and you drink coffee mainly in the morning, it could definitely be caffeine withdrawal/toxicity causing a lot of your problems. Even if it isn't, coming off of caffeine will definitely help.Another thing is the cortislim. All of those appetite suppressants are basically amphetamines. I took one of those as a teenager just for fun, and I felt like I was going to die. I say lay off of all drugs (except maybe aspirin) and exercise.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2007
    • 02:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • This is from the same person as the above message. I should have mentioned that after two weeks of no caffeine, I felt completely normal. I went from a basket case to a happy-go-lucky person very quickly.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 22, 2007
    • 02:56 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement