Discussions By Condition: Anal/Rectal Conditions

Do I have achalasia?

Posted In: Anal/Rectal Conditions 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • July 12, 2006
  • 00:06 AM

I have been trying to isolate my swallowing problem for decades. I have been to several doctors and have taken barium like tests and have not received any answers.

My symptoms are like achalasia, so I tend to self-diagnose it at this point. I have difficulty swallowing foods and drinks, but not all the time. When I have an episode my throat will close up and I can not swallow anymore. If I can make myself burp (and that is tough sometimes) I may be able to clear it. When it clears I can usually continue to eat or drink.

A side effect of this is attack is if I don't clear it I begin to pass out. I have fainted as a result of this before, so I always get myself into a lower postion to protect myself in case I do faint. If I do faint, upon wakening, the throat is clear.

This has been going on now for most of my life that I can remember. I am now 61 years old. I think it is occuring more frequently as I get older, but I can't verify that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or is this the best diagnosis? What are my options (short of surgery if possible)?

Thanks to all in advance....

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

• It sounds like that is what you have. I have achalasia. I am 26. I had surgery on the 6th of this month. You need to bring up achalasia to your doctors. It is a progressive disease---so yes, unfortunately it has gotten worse with age. They might suggest botox injections since you are a little older than myself:) but they might also suggest surgery---mine was done through my stomach----opposed to open surgery---I am still recovering but I believe that I will be fine---the only thing is that if you do the surgery do not do the botox treatments---it can cause scar tissue making the surgery more risky than it already is. I had one botox treatment a year ago to alleviate some of the symptoms---but the scar tissue was there and things could have gone very badly. Please heed my advice and call your doctor!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 13, 2006
    • 03:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there, I'm 18 years old and when I was 15 I finally had surgery on my problem. Like you I had been through various procedures, none of which aleviated the pain. It made eating such an issue for me, especially as I suffered from it through most of my childhood. Although suffering with it at any age is horrible. I had keyhole surgery, after suggesting it could be Achalasia and the surgery has saved my life literally. I had lost so much weight, and I had had balloon dilation, endoscopys and other unpleasant procedures. I can't stress enough how important it is to suggest this to your doctors. I can now eat and drink with no problems, a fact that I am eternally grateful for. Good Luck.Molly xX
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 1, 2006
    • 09:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I was diagnosed with dsyphasia a few years ago and the problem has worsened. I am now losing weight and having swallowing problems that have worsened through the years. I'm 69 and last December after tests I was told I had Achalasia and my doctor has suggested a botox injection in order to help alleviate the swallowing problems. I agreed but let them know that I was aware of this as a temporary measure and after reading your post, I'm wondering if surgery might not just be the best route to take instead of trying botox. The opening to my stomach is also becoming more narrow. Perhaps a call to my local doctor might be advisable before scheduling a botox injection as I am now confused. If botox isn't going to be a permanent answer, why not just have the operation first?c
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 17, 2007
    • 05:43 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You to need to bring this up with your doctor, a lot of doctors who are not from a bigger city do not know much of this disorder. You may even be better going to a bigger city hospital and making an appointment with gastroenterologist.It took 12 months before we got a diagnosis as it is rare but we have had great success with surgery but it was laproscopic so the recovery time was quick and there is very minimal scarring
    dragon64 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement