Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Missing Memory

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: temjin68
  • September 7, 2009
  • 04:54 AM

Hi
Yesterday, my husband (30) has memory loss. We are on the high way on the way home, when we almost reached home. He was surprised and mentioned that he did not recall driving pass another road.
Then at home, when we have dinner i fed me a spoon of what I was eating. After a while, he told me 'hey, you promised to let me tried your food.' When I told him that i have already fed him a spoonful, he was suprised and said that he can't rememeber tasting my food.
What happened? is it temp? All there other symtoms i should look out for?
Please help.
EA

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Not to scare you, but memory loss like this can be a sign of a brain tumor or even Alzheimer's. It can also be a symptoms of EHS.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 7, 2009
    • 04:38 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Well, firstly let me correct the erroneous response; Memory loss is not associated with the presence of a space-occupying mass like a brain tumor and certainly not Alzheimer's disease at age 30. While there is an early-onset variant of AD, your husband is not a candidate. Your description of the incident entails two separate functions of memory, working memory and episodic memory. It's important to be aware that in order for short term memory to be functional, a person must first attend to the information in order for it to be processed. In other words, if your husband is ruminating about something in a distracting manner, or distracted by any other means, then he will not attend to the incident in which you fed him something you were eating. It stands to reason, therefore, that he would not have incorporated the information into memory priming, which establishes storage. This happens all too frequently among married persons and the male counterpart often encounters confrontation by his spouse with the exclamation "Are you listening to me?" Passive exposure to information does not equate with automatic memory storage and retrieval. The second incident regarding travel in the car is more episodic in nature and when we travel, there are visual signs and landmarks that we recognize along the way which indicate how close or how far we are to a familiar destination. This process almost becomes second nature when the destination is home, because we've traveled the route countless times and the need to focus on points along the way become less salient. People commonly "miss the turn" so to speak because they are otherwise preoccupied in mental thought, daydreaming or very often engaged in conversation with others. Once a person learns the way to and from home, they rely far less upon procedural memory that employs active use of maps and directions. In other words, familiarity with a route comes to rely far more upon many episodic functions such as time and distance traveled, familiar sites or roads and other cues which tell us that we are getting close to a well-known destination. In addition, most people can recall more about what happened while driving to work than driving home and the reason is quite simple; our minds are more active in establishing the correct direction to work due to the risk of being late, whereas going home poses little restrictions in most instances and thoughts tend to drift more often. This means less attention to the road and present position. I'm afraid that neither of your examples indicates even the slightest sign of trouble from a clinical standpoint. It more accurately suggests that your husband is preoccupied for some reason. Only he will be able to tell you the source of the distraction, but it has nothing to do with neurological deficit at this point. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • September 7, 2009
    • 10:46 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement