Discussions By Condition: Ear conditions

Q-Tip Jammed down ear :(

Posted In: Ear conditions 29 Replies
  • Posted By: thatredfella
  • December 26, 2006
  • 07:23 PM

I was cleaning my ear and managed to bump a Q-Tip down my ear, maybe half way. I was relieved to see no blood, but it was painful, very much so, then my throat started to hurt a lot too. After say 30 mins it got to a point where I could sit down and bear it enough. 2 Days later I see that my ear was and is in fact bleeding, and I cannot hear as well in the ear. We are waiting a while and will be putting a drop of Olive Oil in it, since that is supposed to help, I hear. Anything I should know based on this? I am trying to resist yanking dry blood out my ear, it seems to make it run more since once in a while I put my finger to check and there is a bit of wet blood sometimes. Oh and what about my hearing, would it return to normal?

Reply Flag this Discussion

29 Replies:

• :( Well Hellow There, Wow, are you serious a q-tip in the ear? I can well believe it for i know people that have done this, but not to this extreme, wow!. Just one question, have you been to the doctor, because it kinda sounds like you have'nt.:eek: An other question, is this still going on? because if it is, you are in a world of trouble my friend Now if this were me& i thank God it's not, i would not be sitting in front of that computer screen. So get your hind end up & "GO" see the doc.& that's all i gotta say! As Always, In His Service.
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 11:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Ok, thanks for trying to scare me. I actually seem to better now, seems to be all fine, I guess.
    thatredfella 12 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 11:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • :) Sorry, but i was scared for you, i don't visit this site with those intentions. I am although very happy to hear that you seem to have recovered. Praise God.
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 00:19 PM
    Flag this Response
  • You poked a hole in your eardrum. I managed to do the same thing with a Qtip in college. I healed in time and my hearing is fine now. Try not to stick those Qtips so far in the ear. I learned my lesson. The pain was unbearable.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 07:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Try puting a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide into your ear,that will fight infection and flush out the dried blood.I had ear surgery and the Dr told me to put HP into my ear. It is safe to do that. Hope this works for you!Hugs Shirley:)
    Shirley M 21 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi!It's nice (I guess) to find some people whit the same bad luck as me :-(I jammed one of those cotton tipped sticks while cleaning my ear too, so I have a few questions to ask.Did you experience ear ringing or any kind of constant buzzing in the ear?How long did it took to get back to normal ? (if you got the hearing normal again) Did you felt that your ear was blocked like when you get water in it?It has been five days from my accident and I still get that buzzing/covered ear sensation, besides some occasional pain.I'll appreciate some advice and experiences. Thanks (and forgive my english)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Monotropa+uniflora This is from an old Native American cure all. I've presented the whole document. Explore and research it "before" applying it. If it were me, but your not me so, ask a qualified physician in the field of Natural Preventitive Medicine. When I lived in the hills I used it for a natural pain reliever, it worked. Just made a tea let steep 3 min put in a eye dropper and put a few drops in. Let sit 1-2 min. don't rinse. There, that's what I came up with. (""Remember"") to ask that doctor!! First, Always! :D
    hogndog 426 Replies Flag this Response
  • Contrary to popular belief, Q-Tips should never be used to clean ears. It jams earwax further down into the canal and can cause a bad build-up.
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/atpc.gif Dear thatredfella, have you had any success with you ear issue? It's been December of 2006 since your original complaint. I'm only asking this because I've been following this story all along. Shall we pursue this any further? or no. Please keep us posted, Thank you.
  • I went to a doctor. He took the thing with the light, looked in, and said there is a clear passage in the canal, but, there is an infection as well. He let my sister look in, she said it looks like rock candy in there...Crystalized or something. Going to ENT tomorrow. I pray i'm ok. Please help me
  • My allergies have been especially bad this season, so bad in fact, that I would wake up in the middle of the night with itchy ears, forcing me to jam Q-tips in my ears to relieve it. I feel pain when sticking my finger in my left ear, but it's fine otherwise. Once in awhile, I get bouts of nausea and dizziness. Although there is no sign of blood or fever. I am guessing I have some sort of mild ear infection? Will this eventually go away on its own? When will I know if its serious? Thanks!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/oie_twinkles.gif Have you asked your doctor and what kind of medicine does he or she practice.
  • hey all,i was cleaning my ears after my shower this morning and somehow the q-tip hit some water in my ear and made my grip slip.....i jammed the thing in. lots of freaking pain. my ear down to my neck is sore and i need to do something to relieve the pressure... i've pretty much had all i can take. i've used hydrogen proxide for swimmers ear, but you say it works for this too? how long until it starts to feel better? i'm going on 14 hours now and tired of popping pain pills every 4 hours.
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/happy01971.gifThat's gotta smart ouch! better get to a doctor an injury such as this is going to require immediate medical attention..
  • I was cleaning my ear and managed to bump a Q-Tip down my ear, maybe half way. I was relieved to see no blood, but it was painful, very much so, then my throat started to hurt a lot too. After say 30 mins it got to a point where I could sit down and bear it enough. 2 Days later I see that my ear was and is in fact bleeding, and I cannot hear as well in the ear. We are waiting a while and will be putting a drop of Olive Oil in it, since that is supposed to help, I hear. Anything I should know based on this? I am trying to resist yanking dry blood out my ear, it seems to make it run more since once in a while I put my finger to check and there is a bit of wet blood sometimes. Oh and what about my hearing, would it return to normal?My son did the same thing a few days ago. I am in Iraq right now, but my mother in law took him to the doctor a couple days later when she saw the blood and he needed antibiodics and possible surgery (we will find out next week). He may have permanent hearing loss. You really need to go to a doctor...
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 09:52 AM
    Flag this Response
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/Blue_bulb.gifPlease nothing smaller than your elbow, now go see the doctor. :)Thankshogndog http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/twocents.gif
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • January 30, 2009
    • 02:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I did this a few years ago, too. I am deaf in that ear and it ruined my balance. Yes, the eardrum will heal over but the damage underneath will still be there. Don't just go to a doctor, go to the Emergncy Room if this ever happens to you. My current ENT told me this. The damage underneath might be repairable if caught in time. Another possible complication is meningitis. Please, please, get to a doctor if this happens to you and don't take the brush off from the doctor, either. My life is really messed up because I did not get the right medical treatment.
    schpider 1 Replies
    • February 13, 2009
    • 10:47 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Please follow this link...http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/e/ear/index.htmhttp://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/cooltext412821419MouseOver.png
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • February 13, 2009
    • 11:44 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just wanted to share that I did this same thing yesterday morning. I was cleaning my ears and something fell in my shower. I got startled and jumped, resulting in my jamming the Q tip in my ear. All day it hurt like heck. At night, it started to bleed. I called my doctor, and he told me to go to the emergeny room. I did. I was told that the worst thing to do is to get it wet. So, HP would not be a good idea. They would not even give me ear drops. They gave me an antibiotic to prevent infection and said I punctured hole or went right throuhg a membrane. Most of the time it heals on its own, but they said to follow up with an throat, nose, and ear doctor to make.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2009
    • 02:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/hogndog/Animal-Funny-000421.jpgMy advice would be don't put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.. :)Hogndog
    hogndog 426 Replies
    • September 13, 2009
    • 01:58 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement