Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Panic Attacks? Anxiety? Help!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 7 Replies
  • Posted By: lowquat
  • August 19, 2009
  • 11:54 PM

I am a teenage male and have had mild dizziness/lightheadedness for about 2 months now. It sort of feels like I'm on a boat, sometimes it feels like the floor is going up and down or I am going to fall backwards if I am sitting down. I went to the doctor and had a general look over, blood tests, and chest X-rays done (I had tightness/tingling in my chest). Everything came back negative for anything abnormal. I don't have heart trouble, don't have anemia, don't have lung problems, lymes disease, etc...yet I have this feeling of not being quite right in my head. Sometimes I think that I might have a brain tumor/brain cyst/something seriously wrong with me...but I have been able to think straight and do things like drive and speak and hold conversations...etc...so I sort of doubt this...but it scares me and makes me feel even worse. I haven't had an MRI or CAT scan. Is this all in my head? Is it all psychological? Does this sound like anxiety issues or panic attack symptoms? If so, should I see a therapist? I have no previous mental problems or major health problems that I am aware of. I just graduated from school, so I think that might be part of it. Also, I tried marijuana once around the time this all started, and this caused me major paranoia and panicking...so could that bad experience triggered my symptoms? I don't plan on doing it, or anything like it, again (in no way am I a pot head, it was one time). Everyone tells me to stop thinking about my symptoms, that they'll just go away, but it's been 2 months and it's very difficult to stop focusing on them! Please help! This is scaring me. Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

7 Replies:

• The weed you smoked could have been laced with something. Was there anyone who smoked it with you? Talk to them and see if they're feeling the same symptoms. If not, go to whoever you got it from and ask them what kind it was. If it was some kind of cush, or a really strong kind, this could cause you to experience long-term effects of it. Or if it was laced with something....I don't know. I would suggest this, or you are just over-analyzing everything and it's mostly in your head.
    tielledirge 20 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 01:36 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The weed you smoked could have been laced with something. Was there anyone who smoked it with you? Talk to them and see if they're feeling the same symptoms. If not, go to whoever you got it from and ask them what kind it was. If it was some kind of cush, or a really strong kind, this could cause you to experience long-term effects of it. Or if it was laced with something....I don't know. I would suggest this, or you are just over-analyzing everything and it's mostly in your head.It was nugs...not sure of the exact name. But it was really potent according to the people I was with (it was my first time, so I naturally have nothing to compare it with). I smoked it with a couple other people, but it was not their first time though, and they said that they had a wonderful experience...I had a terrible experience, and it was my first time. I thought it might be laced with something, but they didn't have the same paranoia, and they smoked it at the same time as me from the same pipes.Maybe it is all in my head, I find when I focus on other things, like reading or watching a TV show I like, I don't feel dizzy as much. Also, it seems to subside a bit at night...and reaches its severity in the afternoon, although this could be my imagination. It could all be in my head and that's the problem. I can't tell if I am imagining any of this or not. It's frustrating. My doctor thought I might be dehydrated/have hypotension...but I'm pretty sure I'm hydrated now. Sometimes I don't eat as much as I should. Could not eating enough as well having irregular sleeping patterns, on top of stress/anxiety and thinking too much really cause such symptoms? I mean, they're not really debilitating, just obnoxious. I'm slightly dizzy and sometimes somewhat nauseous. I sort of think it's all in my head, but I would like other opinions. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my last post.
    lowquat 2 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 03:29 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It was nugs...not sure of the exact name. But it was really potent according to the people I was with (it was my first time, so I naturally have nothing to compare it with). I smoked it with a couple other people, but it was not their first time though, and they said that they had a wonderful experience...I had a terrible experience, and it was my first time. I thought it might be laced with something, but they didn't have the same paranoia, and they smoked it at the same time as me from the same pipes.Maybe it is all in my head, I find when I focus on other things, like reading or watching a TV show I like, I don't feel dizzy as much. Also, it seems to subside a bit at night...and reaches its severity in the afternoon, although this could be my imagination. It could all be in my head and that's the problem. I can't tell if I am imagining any of this or not. It's frustrating. My doctor thought I might be dehydrated/have hypotension...but I'm pretty sure I'm hydrated now. Sometimes I don't eat as much as I should. Could not eating enough as well having irregular sleeping patterns, on top of stress/anxiety and thinking too much really cause such symptoms? I mean, they're not really debilitating, just obnoxious. I'm slightly dizzy and sometimes somewhat nauseous. I sort of think it's all in my head, but I would like other opinions. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my last post.Hi,Panic attacks causes intense fear that begin abruptly for no apparent reason. Physical discomfort like a rapid heart beat, sweating, trembling, hot flashes and trouble swallowing regularly accompany the attacks. Panic attacks usually peak within ten minutes but last 30 minutes. Sometimes panic attacks can last as long as a day. Many feel very tired and worn out after the attack stops.To stop panic attacks, the person suffering from them should consult a doctor. The doctor will ask the patient a series of questions and give him or her a physical examination to make sure that health conditions are not causing the panic attacks.______________________________Social Anxiety Disorder
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 06:02 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Haha nugs isn't the kind. It's what it's referred to if it's in clumps and not shredded. Some people do have bad experiences and it messes them up for a while. They'll get severely anxious, nervous, paranoid after they smoke and it will eventually wear off after a couple of hours. I think this is in your head. You might have had these symptoms right after you smoked, but now you're just paranoid about those symptoms that you did have and are freaking yourself out. Anxiety can have serious effects on one's body. It can cause strange chest pain and other uneplainable symptoms. The more you think about a problem or pain, the worst it will become. Not eating correctly definitely will cause you dizzyness/light headedness. I would suggest you start eating correctly and not google every symptom you have. If you google "dizzyness" tons of things will come up that will start freaking you out and giving you even worst symptoms as a direct result from the stress. I would also suggest you not try smoking again. If you had the paranoia once, you will most definitely have it every time you smoke.
    tielledirge 20 Replies
    • August 20, 2009
    • 06:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Haha nugs isn't the kind. It's what it's referred to if it's in clumps and not shredded. Some people do have bad experiences and it messes them up for a while. They'll get severely anxious, nervous, paranoid after they smoke and it will eventually wear off after a couple of hours. I think this is in your head. You might have had these symptoms right after you smoked, but now you're just paranoid about those symptoms that you did have and are freaking yourself out. Anxiety can have serious effects on one's body. It can cause strange chest pain and other uneplainable symptoms. The more you think about a problem or pain, the worst it will become. Not eating correctly definitely will cause you dizzyness/light headedness. I would suggest you start eating correctly and not google every symptom you have. If you google "dizzyness" tons of things will come up that will start freaking you out and giving you even worst symptoms as a direct result from the stress. I would also suggest you not try smoking again. If you had the paranoia once, you will most definitely have it every time you smoke.Yeah, I'm not planning on smoking again. And yeah, I was feeling much better up until today, I still feel better than I did, just not as good as I did yesterday.But since nobody thinks that this is anything really serious I'll try to stop worrying so much.No, my doctor didn't order an MRI, and I don't use a cell phone, or a phone that much at all. It all started around the time I experimented with pot...like sometimes I feel like I'm still high. I think the stuff just really freaked me out, I started thinking some very strange, disturbing things, which really disturbed me...and my mind wasn't expecting or ready for that...so it's taking sometime to recover. That's my theory. I don't get really dizzy, it's not like vertigo, and not really lightheaded, like I'm going to faint. And I don't have trouble thinking or speaking or functioning. My behavior hasn't really changed. I just feel a little weird sometimes...it's hard to explain. It's mild, just frustrating sometimes. I'd think if it was a brain tumor I would have more evident/drastic symptoms. They don't run in my family as far as I know either. Plus, my doctor did blood work, I would think if I had cancer of some kind that would show up in my blood...at least they'd be able to see that my blood was abnormal...correct? It would be too much of a coincidence for a brain tumor to become apparent the morning after I smoked pot for the first time and freaked myself out.Thanks for taking an interest in this and taking the time to respond to my post.
    lowquat 2 Replies
    • August 24, 2009
    • 02:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey man, i had the EXACt same thing going on, well i still kind of do. not as badly as before but i suffered panic syndrome after my bad experience with weed. te paranoia really gets to you huh. well, im having an mri soon... this is really just to calm myself down and make sure nothign is wrong physically. but yeah like you said, it cant be a coincidence, that is so true. it's just that you're (or were) overwhelming yourself. cheers man, hope all is well now.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Eating definately could be an issue as I don't eat like I should as well and have got dizzy spells and been lightheaded. The first thing to keep in mind though cause I notice you are worried is to calm. You seem to me to be in a bit of a panic state over it due to worrying about what it could be. Thats the worst thing you can do as I have paniced over my current happenings and ended up in the ER and nearly ended up in shock. You could very well suffer from some anxiety attacks, try taking some deep breathes. Look for a simple breathing exercise online. One thing I noticed you said you don't feel it when you watch TV or are doing something, this could be because you are focused on something and not focusing on things that make you anxious and nervous. If you are indeed that worried abouty cancer and stuff though have your doctor do an MRI to help ease your mind. If you do happen to find any other symtoms let us know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement