Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Thirst brought on by sweet drinks

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 25, 2006
  • 09:48 AM

I've had this problem for over a month now. I noticed I was getting thirsty a lot, generally after a meal. After a few days of this, I told my parents I was worried I may have diabetes. I did have a family history of it after all. A few days later, I noticed a sweet smell to my urine and brought the subject up again. Again, it was dismissed. Then I started getting other symptoms that followed the thirst. The first one I noticed was stomach pain. I'd burp, but it would only make me feel worse. Later symptoms I noticed were bloating due to gas and constant bathroom trips. Since these attacks happened mainly at night, I couldn't sleep due to the stomach pain and constant need to urinate (not necessarily urinating a lot, but often).

I was frightened the first time I experienced the severe stomach pain. Since I was thinking diabetes, I had been looking up symptoms online and thought I might have been experiencing ketoacidosis. So I went to the doctor for the first time. The test for diabetes was negative. The doctor diagnosed me with allergic rhinitis, I believe, and a fungal infection of the mouth. A test on a later trip showed that the white coat was not caused by a fungus. He discounted the urine smell entirely which kind of upset me. I decided to pick up some test strips for ketones just to make sure. The result each time was between none and trace.

The second visit was when the stomach problem got worse and proved it was not just a one time thing. I was told to take pepcid each day along with antacids as needed. This is where I had the test showing there was no fungus along with a CBC and other blood tests I don't remember. I was told everything was normal. The pepcid, tums, and mylanta gas seemed to take care of the stomach problems, but the urination still followed and still kept me awake.

By the third doctor visit, I was a nervous wreck. I had slept about 12 hours in the past week. I had the occasional foot or hand go numb as well as abdominal pains. I was starting to suspect what I was drinking was the cause. One of the worst attacks I had noticed to this point was after having a Dunkin Donuts smoothie, supposedly to celebrate being diabetes-free. Soon after having the small-sized smoothie, I was completely parched. I was afraid to eat or drink anything for fear it might make me sick. The third visit, I had more blood taken and a urine test done. I'm not sure whatever it was being tested for, but I was told everything was normal. I was also told that on my previous appointment, my white blood cell counts were elevated, which might have been normal for me considering they were also elevated during my physical a couple months back. I was set up for an appointment for a CT scan the next day.

I didn't like needing the CT scan for 2 reasons. First of all, I can't stand to take 1 cup full of alka seltzer in water, yet I had to find a way to down a liter of a nasty barium cocktail. The other reason is that I've been unemployed ever since I finished college, I'm uninsured, and my parents are footing my bills. In any case, I head in to take the CT scan. After running the scan once, they decide to try using a contrast, but can't seem to find a vein for the IV, so they make do with just the barium. Everything comes out normal.

I'm finally able to sleep regularly at this point. My parents feel it's because I'm getting over whatever I have. I feel it's because I've changed my diet. My parents don't like me diagnosing myself, but it is affecting my life. I'd been wondering if possibly fructose intolerance could have been to blame and start to replace the juices I used to pretty much live on with milk. I go off the Pepcid for a few days and don't experience much trouble. I try re-including orange juice and have problems again, so I give it up.

This doesn't last for long until I have to see the doctor again. This time not related to any of the thirst or stomach issues. This time, the problem is with my shoulder. This may or may not be coincidence, but around the same time I started experiencing these other problems, I also experienced some problems with my right shoulder. At first, it only hurt if I moved it in certain ways. I was a bit worried that it wasn't going away, but by this point, over a period of a few days, it took a sudden turn for the worst. Now it hurt severely even if I wasn't doing anything with it. This was bad especially at night with no comfortable sleeping position. The doctor prodded my shoulder to find where it hurt, then had X-rays taken. He diagnosed me with tendonitis and mentioned seeing calcium deposits. He prescribed ibuprofen. Given that stomach problems were a side effect of the medicine, I decided to stop experimenting with juices for the most part. All of my other symptoms are pretty much gone now except for abdominal pain, mostly on my right side, just above the waist. I've also been experiencing a lot of constipation ever since having to down that barium cocktail.

Which brings me to now. I've been off my ibuprofen this weekend and feel no pain in my arm, maybe just a little popping if I move it around. Tonight, I had a doughnut as a late night snack. I wasn't particularly thirsty, but I tried washing it down with about half a glass of cider. I've since had to drink about a full glass of water and I'm still feeling thirsty, though thankfully the stomach problems haven't cropped up. I used to just about live on these juices, and now it's like I might as well be drinking seawater. I just want to know what this is, so I don't have to worry anymore and can go back to a normal life (well, start striving for a normal life at least).

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Dear Unregistered:I am in a very similar position right now. I started having similar symptoms and after a while I started developing pain in some joints and muscles. My blood works and urine tests look normal. I was suspecting intoxication or severe food allergies; but then I was feeling sick with everything I ate. This is not the first time that I feel like this and I get some prescription for acid stomach or acid reflux, so I knew that was not it. Or I get a prescription for a urinary track infection, and the antibiotic just makes me feel worse.I started to research and I am suspecting I have systemic candidiasis. A fungus that grows out of control in your intestines and pierce your intestine, producing "leaky gut symdrome"- which causes food sensitivities/ and real allergies.Even if you don't have systemic candidiasis- you need to stop eating all refined and process sugars, coffee, pastries, wheat, and grains, and stay away from the foods you think that are hurting you. Sugar is an "antinutrient".Candida feeds on sugars and pastries- it actually makes you crave them!. Coffee and beef kill the "friendly bacteria" that keeps candida undercontrol inside your intestines.Candida also prevents your body from absorbing nutrients- so it can really take all your energy away.Take multivitamins and probiotics-if helps your intestines to fight back whatever is really hurting you while you get your doctor to test you for candida or other yeast or fungus.Don't take the ibuprofen because that is just masking the symptoms and it is hard ******n your liver. Drink lots of natural infusions like ginger, onion tea- and if you feel inflamation (your shoulder) eat foods with flavanoids like luteolin or quercitin (like french beans and yams)- it will help you stay alive while you wait for your next appointment.Good luckBe well.Fighting my mystery sickness.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 04:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • A few more thingsRead this website- it has helped me a lot. I was surprised about how much water I started drinking 3 months ago, but I did not pay attention until I crashed on Nov. 30.Also read the book "Never Be Sick Again" by Raymond Francis- it explains intestinal toxicity.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 04:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • A few more thingsRead this website- it has helped me a lot. I was surprised about how much water I started drinking 3 months ago, but I did not pay attention until I crashed on Nov. 30.Also read the book "Never Be Sick Again" by Raymond Francis- it explains intestinal toxicity.http://www.drcranton.com/yeast.htm
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 04:21 PM
    Flag this Response
  • http://www.drcranton.com/yeast.htmOm my gash! they could not fine my veins either!Fighting my mystery sickness.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 3, 2007
    • 04:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Man, quit stumping for your book there. Not everyone in this message board has the same problem.As for my current situation, I've cut out a lot of the juice and if I do have it, it's in small amounts. After all, if its purpose is quenching my thirst or rehydrating me, it seems to be failing. The only reason I've reincluded some juice is that I'm sick of milk and water all the time and I have a feeling that the milk was causing all the constipation. If I'm feeling thirsty, it's milk or a little bit of juice with a big glass of water. Most of the stomach pain is gone, except on Christmas when I went a little overboard. The only symptoms I'm still getting are the thirst, gas, and pains. Mostly sharp pains in the gut.Would these symptoms fit with fructose malabsorption? Nothing seems to bring this on faster than juice. I'm also wondering if increased bacteria in the intestines could be causing my elevated white counts. My doctor wants another CBC done to see if the level has dropped. I'm wondering if I should be checked for celiac as well. I've read about a blood test that's fairly accurate for it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 02:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Haha- it is not my book. My doctor recommended me to read it. It is not her book either. I am just telling everyone because it is revolutionary and it talk about so many studies that the drug companies don't want people to know about.People with Candida suffer hypoglycemia symptoms after eating fruit. People with fungi infection on the gut do not absorb the nutrients. The food actually rots inside, that is why you have the constipation. Eliminating milk always help.Why would you run trying to diagnose symptoms, when you could try to find the root of your sickness?If you have a craving, that means your body has created an intolerance to that food. http://www.drcranton.com/yeast.htmBe Well!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 02:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The way you're giving this same advice to everyone makes me think you have some stake in it. And based on other things I have read, it is completely normal to have yeast in the intestines.And here's some reading for you by the way about another of DR. Cranston's ideas: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chelation.html
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:11 AM
    Flag this Response
  • yeast (Candida Albicans) grows normally in the gut, but stress, caffeine, beef, and sugar destroys the bacteria that keeps Candida under control. Also birth control, steroids and antibiotics can damage the balance of the intestinal flora.I am very sorry you have to be sick. Best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yeah. And about this whole yeast thing...http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candida.html
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:37 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hey- there have been international Medical conferences in Europe about this epidemic.Dr. Cranton did not invent or discover this. http://www.yeastconnection.com/ Dr. Cook's book.I am just telling you because it won't come in any tests, except the specific candida test- and it would suck for anyone to spend thousands of dollars in tests that won't give you an answer, specially if you don't have insurance.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 4, 2007
    • 04:47 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement