Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

“Rare Allergy Condition Developed or Coincidence?”

Posted In: Medical Stories 3 Replies
  • Posted By: JettaTDI
  • July 31, 2009
  • 06:24 PM

:confused: On July 25, 2008. While on our way to a wedding. We were involved in a rear end collision while stopped in traffic waiting. My daughter Katie (18) was in the front seat passenger’s side. My daughter Melissa (18) was in the rear seat passengers side and I was driving Dave (52). The car was a 2002 Subaru Forester. It took the hit from a Chevy 4x4 on right rear side sending us flying into the car in front and grazing then into the ditch where we then drove down the median a bit to get away from any further impacts from other cars. My daughter Melissa in the rear seat had back and neck injury as well as myself. Katie did not have any results of whiplash. But what happened to her was. She had her cell phone in her left hand during the impact. We all had our belts on. Her left hand came up and the cell phone struck her in the centre of the forehead. This caused a red bump with key pad imprint in purple. It did not hurt and was just funny looking. While we were suffering the whiplash Katie was just fine besides her bump. It went down quite fast maybe a couple hours and it was gone to sight. We then went and got another vehicle as ours was totalled off and could not be driven. We were quite impressed at the time how hard of a hit it took and we basically walked away a little sore and bruised. This was on a Friday at 530pm. We then went to our Hotel 4 Hours away. We stayed in our hotel and went to the wedding the next day. Then after the wedding we went to the reception. When salad was served Katie had the salad. Shortly after she started to notice she had hives starting and she was getting flushed and started having a hard time to breath. We then rushed her to a hospital where they gave her Benadyril and IV. And issued an epée pen She later cleared up and they said it was an allergy. Katie has never had an allergy in her life. They then told her to see our doctor and he said yes an allergy most likely to peanuts. But she would need further testing. Which in fact was a waiting list of 6 months. She was just tested last week. So it took this long. We had a reaction at a Ringette game she was in at the end of the game. She came off the ice flushed and choking for air. The epée pen had to be administered right away then rushed her to the hospital. The hospital figured that someone had touched a doorknob that maybe had a chocolate bar with nuts or something and it entered through her palm of her hand from contact with a door ***b or something like that?

Like I mentioned it took this long to get tested. We now know she is Rare High and had to be switched to medic alert bracelet and a three-part epée pen. She is highly at risk. And when she reacts the place where she had the bump on her head. Swells up like it did in the accident. However it does not go red with the purple imprint. It goes white and has the key pad imprint.

Now my question is. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is a car accident a potential for allergies? Did our accident cause this condition? Knowing about the cell phone and the bump is there a relation? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

• Thank You Blaze,She has ups and downs with feeling well now. She feels at times to vomit or have diarrhea. And that maybe air borne or cell related? I also notice around her eyes is like she does not sleep much redder at times than others. When I see the red around her eyes I ask her right away if she feels ok. And usually she says a little sick at those times.To answer your question? No when she reacts now it is from contact to nuts. Be it oral or through the skin. If she touches a door handle and someone was eating nuts she reacts. When she reacted at her Ringette game (similar to hockey) it was at the end of the second period. So she had already played almost 3/4 hour before she came off the ice and into anapaestic shock. We came to the conclusion someone had been eating peanut butter or a chocolate bar and touched a door ***b or something. It entered through the palm of her hand. And what tipped her off to it was the palms of her hands started to get itchy. Once they started to itch it was no time and we had to administer the Epee Pen. I have five children and no allergies. Except for myself with a life long hay fever. However in the past 3 or 4 years I have out grown it. For Katie to have been a typical healthy kid, until this car accident? And now hand cuffed to living life close to a hospital. This whole cell phone thing is weird to say the least. I made a mistake in the bump rising and has key pad. What happens is the spot where it was at the time of accident turns white. Does not rise and does not have key pad. But that spot turns white when she reacts. ThanksDave
    JettaTDI 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I will start to take note. As to when she feels or starts to feel bad and check cell tower area's.
    JettaTDI 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I will start to take note. As to when she feels or starts to feel bad and check cell tower area's.Hi Jetta,I am a taking a note, It's more valuable information. I think it's better way to share our idea. They can be able to doing that. Thanks for suggestion.
    morkelkey 1 Replies
    • September 17, 2009
    • 11:32 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement