Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Ocd?

Posted In: Mental conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Apaloosa
  • July 21, 2009
  • 02:33 AM

Over the past couple of years I have noticed that I have strange habits with organization that have recently begun to interfere with my daily life. I apologize in advance if this is very long.

Here are some of the things that I do:
*I am very disorganized with my own things/work area, but if I am in a public place (e.g. a video store or any place with a rack of brochures) and I see something out of place (a video in the wrong place or a brochure upside down) I have to make everything right or else I start to panic (not really a panic attack but I feel very uneasy and anxious)

*I have a ritual where I have to tap the top of any soda can exactly twice and open immediately. If I don't open it right away I have to wait for awhile (about 30 mins) before I can tap it again and open it.

*If I have a paper I have to write and I don't think it's perfect I would rather not turn it in and get a zero on it than turn it in with an imperfect score

*Every pencil has to be organized by size

*If something is imperfect to me (paper, letter, note) I have to start all over. Most of the time it is for stupid reason (I left a mark on the paper with my pen, my name isn't in the right position, one word in the entire paper doesn't fit with the rest of the paper)

*I have to organize my DVDs first alphabetically by genre then alphabetically by title

OCD has never really be brought up with my doctors or my family because I don't exhibit the cleanliness side of it. I'm wondering if it sound like I could have OCD or another type of disorder. As of recently this has caused some problems because I may tackling both school, work, and personal issues.

Thank you for any help. Again, sorry for the length:o

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Might not be ocd. But seems like some kind of compulsiveness. You should go see your doc and maybe get a referral to a therapist. He/she could prolly get to the root of the issue and figure out which way to pursue treating you.
    insomniac 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm going to see my psychologist tomorrow so I'll bring it up at our meeting. Thanks.
    Apaloosa 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement