Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Ocd?

Posted In: Mental conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Apaloosa
  • July 21, 2009
  • 02:33 AM

Over the past couple of years I have noticed that I have strange habits with organization that have recently begun to interfere with my daily life. I apologize in advance if this is very long.

Here are some of the things that I do:
*I am very disorganized with my own things/work area, but if I am in a public place (e.g. a video store or any place with a rack of brochures) and I see something out of place (a video in the wrong place or a brochure upside down) I have to make everything right or else I start to panic (not really a panic attack but I feel very uneasy and anxious)

*I have a ritual where I have to tap the top of any soda can exactly twice and open immediately. If I don't open it right away I have to wait for awhile (about 30 mins) before I can tap it again and open it.

*If I have a paper I have to write and I don't think it's perfect I would rather not turn it in and get a zero on it than turn it in with an imperfect score

*Every pencil has to be organized by size

*If something is imperfect to me (paper, letter, note) I have to start all over. Most of the time it is for stupid reason (I left a mark on the paper with my pen, my name isn't in the right position, one word in the entire paper doesn't fit with the rest of the paper)

*I have to organize my DVDs first alphabetically by genre then alphabetically by title

OCD has never really be brought up with my doctors or my family because I don't exhibit the cleanliness side of it. I'm wondering if it sound like I could have OCD or another type of disorder. As of recently this has caused some problems because I may tackling both school, work, and personal issues.

Thank you for any help. Again, sorry for the length:o

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• Might not be ocd. But seems like some kind of compulsiveness. You should go see your doc and maybe get a referral to a therapist. He/she could prolly get to the root of the issue and figure out which way to pursue treating you.
    insomniac 6 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm going to see my psychologist tomorrow so I'll bring it up at our meeting. Thanks.
    Apaloosa 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement