Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

marijuana use and chorea

Posted In: Nerve conditions 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 20, 2006
  • 10:06 AM

Is it possible for chorea, or some other type of involuntary jerky movements, to be caused by cannabis use? I ask this because I found that a few people who use marijuana get involuntary muscle spasms, only while they are high. Can this be related to stimulated dopamine receptors?? (I have no idea what I'm talking about!)
Thanks

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• I have no clue what would cause that, but if it only happens to the person when he or she is high on weed, that's a pretty good reason to quit smoking it! Involuntary muscle movements may have some benign cause, or they may be the harbinger of something more sinister, but they are certainly not the result of anything GOOD. Anything that messes with your brain chemistry can result in weird neurological symptoms.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2006
    • 11:27 PM
    Flag this Response
  • yes, smoking marijuana is the reason why people twitch, the THC in it messes with a person's nervous system. The twitching is involuntary, but I'm not sure if it can cause chorea. And tell who ever you saw high, to stop smoking weed, it really messes up your nervous system, it kills off your brain cells, meaning there's a possibility it can mess with your memory.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 9, 2008
    • 07:43 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Marijuana does NOT kill brain cells, and it is not proven to do any harmful thing to the human body. The only bad thing that comes from cannabis consumption is the inhalation of the hydrocarbons from the smoke. Yes and the twitching does come sometimes from cannabis consumption, but it is mild and does not cause any moderate threat. The memory problems associated with cannabis are caused by the neurotransmitter andamide. Anandamide is responsible for flagging thoughts to store for memory. When THC is taken, instead of only certain thoughts getting flagged for memory, everything is flagged for memory. This causes the receptors to flood, and not much information is retained. This is temporary and has nothing to do with braincells dying off. After the THC is metabolized the memory impairment will dissappear.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 26, 2008
    • 06:28 AM
    Flag this Response
  • then why after 6 months of smoking i notice myself getting dumber? i'm sure u dont' know everything about smoking and everything effects people differently think about that you might have different symptoms or have stronger effects to the drug. alot of things have to be thought of when doing drugs..
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I spent 3 semesters in engineering. First semester- straight A'sSecond semester- B's and C'sThird semester- D's and E's...Lost my scholarship, was diagnosed with depression, went to the community college....and started smoking weed.I am now in my 5th semester with straight A's again.Weed worked for me.
  • I have recently quite smoking tweed because of this reason. I started smoking in my early teens (middle school) all the way up to my freshman year in college. I smoked religiously for about 5 years-- meaning all day everyday. I never had a problem, always enjoyed being stoney. I was an all-league soccer player, had great grades, and got by with a good GPA in highschool and in my early years of college. Until out of no where i started getting these abrupt, involuntary muscle spasms in my neck. It was something that just started happening all of a sudden when I would get stoned, then progressed to something that would happen on a daily basis. Because of this, I immediately cut back and eventually quit smoking herb. It took about another 3 or 4 months or so for the spasms to subside. But once all the THC was out of my system and once i regained neurological pathway that i probably destroyed, I stopped having the spasms... To this day, if I smoke I instantly go back to the state of having the spasms. I feel it is only something that occurs with certain people that have a certain brain make up. All my friends still smoke, and they've been getting stoney as long as I have and haven't had a problem. Some people can only take so much. I don't know the science behind the reason, but I feel it is well worth it to quit than have such a problem.
  • Is it possible for chorea, or some other type of involuntary jerky movements, to be caused by cannabis use? I ask this because I found that a few people who use marijuana get involuntary muscle spasms, only while they are high. Can this be related to stimulated dopamine receptors?? (I have no idea what I'm talking about!)ThanksI recently, not thinking, ate a whole dispensary cookie. I was high within 1/2 hour (had not eaten, just flown cross country). When I was able to crawl (I couldn't walk, much less tolerate the light, because the room was undulating) from the kitchen floor to the sofa to lie down, I had all kinds of uncontrollable spasms in my limbs- thought I might be having some kind of seizure, but if I concentrated ******n the body part that was moving ( I couldn't feel my arms or legs), I could stop the twitching, just to have a different body part start vibrating. The spasms lasted a long time (not that I had a sense of time in this pothole haha), but the next morning I finally took a Valium and felt much better. I was wasted for another day, but I could walk-shakily. SO, to answer your question, I think that excessive amounts of medical marijuana can definitely cause muscle spasms, and it's an extremely unpleasant reaction. Beware the COOKIE.
  • I have recently quite smoking tweed because of this reason. I started smoking in my early teens (middle school) all the way up to my freshman year in college. I smoked religiously for about 5 years-- meaning all day everyday. I never had a problem, always enjoyed being stoney. I was an all-league soccer player, had great grades, and got by with a good GPA in highschool and in my early years of college. Until out of no where i started getting these abrupt, involuntary muscle spasms in my neck. It was something that just started happening all of a sudden when I would get stoned, then progressed to something that would happen on a daily basis. Because of this, I immediately cut back and eventually quit smoking herb. It took about another 3 or 4 months or so for the spasms to subside. But once all the THC was out of my system and once i regained neurological pathway that i probably destroyed, I stopped having the spasms... To this day, if I smoke I instantly go back to the state of having the spasms. I feel it is only something that occurs with certain people that have a certain brain make up. All my friends still smoke, and they've been getting stoney as long as I have and haven't had a problem. Some people can only take so much. I don't know the science behind the reason, but I feel it is well worth it to quit than have such a problem.I had this same condition, except not the neck part, same as you, smoker for a long time, 2-3 years, regularly, quit smoking just because i wanted to quit, a year and a half a go i started the occasional smoke every now and then again, one night, i suffered from a severe problem, maybe a heart problem, or major panick attack, it wasnt diagnosed and i was in and out of hospitals feeling like im sincerely going to die for 6 months (obviously in this time i never smoked again), after 6 months of severe brain fog, depression, pulpitations, my hands and feet going cold numb for no reason even in hot weather, halucinations, etc, i began to revocer, slowly, very slowly, ive never been the same person since, my personality etc all changed, i suffer from anxiety and panick attacks now, and wow, just realised, im that guy writing NOT TO DO DRUGS, remember i used to read these stories as a kid and would think, wow, deserves them right for being so stupid.... lol... im not saying flat out that marijuana is bad, but if you do smoke it, take it easy people, 1-2 times per week MAX, dont be smoking it as a daily habit for years, bad things will happen one day, and then it will be too late when you realise....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 11, 2010
    • 02:14 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have recently quite smoking tweed because of this reason. I started smoking in my early teens (middle school) all the way up to my freshman year in college. I smoked religiously for about 5 years-- meaning all day everyday. I never had a problem, always enjoyed being stoney. I was an all-league soccer player, had great grades, and got by with a good GPA in highschool and in my early years of college. Until out of no where i started getting these abrupt, involuntary muscle spasms in my neck. It was something that just started happening all of a sudden when I would get stoned, then progressed to something that would happen on a daily basis. Because of this, I immediately cut back and eventually quit smoking herb. It took about another 3 or 4 months or so for the spasms to subside. But once all the THC was out of my system and once i regained neurological pathway that i probably destroyed, I stopped having the spasms... To this day, if I smoke I instantly go back to the state of having the spasms. I feel it is only something that occurs with certain people that have a certain brain make up. All my friends still smoke, and they've been getting stoney as long as I have and haven't had a problem. Some people can only take so much. I don't know the science behind the reason, but I feel it is well worth it to quit than have such a problem.The same thing has happened to me. The difference is that mine started when I was 21 and since then at 26 my spasms are still present. Have taken anxiety meds and tranquilizers from my doc. Helps minimally but not fully recovered from it. If anyone knows anything that will help please post.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 1, 2010
    • 08:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • then why after 6 months of smoking i notice myself getting dumber? i'm sure u dont' know everything about smoking and everything effects people differently think about that you might have different symptoms or have stronger effects to the drug. alot of things have to be thought of when doing drugs..yes you smoke pot your your brain receptors are being tampered with, but what he is saying if you quit smoking pot, over time when your body metabolizes the thc, your brain will recover..the lungs also recover themselves just not fully i dont imagine.
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement