Discussions By Condition: Anal/Rectal Conditions

Ongoing rectal pain 5+ months

Posted In: Anal/Rectal Conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 16, 2006
  • 05:30 AM

I started with pain and throbbing/muscle spasms for up to 2 hours after a bowel movement. When it didn't clear up for a week I went to a clinic. They suggested anal fissures and put me on some corticosteroid cream. I used this for awhile and did some research on the condition. It seemed to fit... however after several more weeks the pain was still the same.

I went back to the clinic several times and in the mean time started my own regiment of Metamucil, low fat, no cafeeine or alcohol, lots of water, etc. Eventually I was referred to a surgeon. He performed a digital exam but didn't see anything. He still suggested I have a lateral sphinctorotomy but I eventually declined since I wasn't too sure if this was indeed my condition.

I have since asked for an anoscopy or sigmoidoscopy to confirm it's a fissure.
However he is referring me to a proctologist with the warning that it may take months to see one. The surgeon put me on the famed 0.2% nifedipine + 5% lidocaine cream that normally works wonders for fissures. It's been 1.5 months of using the cream 3 or more times per day while continuing my regiment and if anything the pain is WORSE. It's now constant, and much worse when sitting or lying down on my back. I sleep on my side and avoid sitting when I can but the pain doesn't seem to be improving. The lidocaine doesn't seem to offer any relief, and the pain feels like it is deeper inside than I can apply the cream.

I'm starting to question if this is in fact a fissure or something else. My very first time to the clinic after a week I asked about a rectal abscess but was told it's rare and most unlikely, but now I begin to wonder as the condition worsens with time and medication instead of improving.

I find myself a lot more flatulent in the last few months but concluded this may be because of the nifedipine ointment. I have also on occasion notice some abnormalities using the washroom... but not often.

Two or three times in the last 5 months I've noticed dark green in my stool. My reading indicates this may or may not be anything to worry about. I've also found on a different two or three occasions a black gummy substance on the toilet paper when I wipe. Is it possible these are both pus from an abscess? What's the normal timeline for an abscess to reach critical mass?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement