Discussions By Condition: Nerve conditions

9 years of exstacy-induced ***l

Posted In: Nerve conditions 17 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 6, 2009
  • 05:09 PM

I am at the end of my rope and, to be honest with you, life hardly seems worth living anymore. I am desperate, and do not know what to do. Posting on this forum seemed like one possibility, so here I am. If anyone reading this has any idea what is wrong with me, and what steps I could take to fix it, I would be very grateful.
I am 31 years old, and have been suffering for the last 9 years with what I assume is some sort of neurological damage, brought on as a result of exstacy use. I hesitate to say "MDMA use" because, really, anything could have been in any of the pills I had taken. With the exception of this exstacy, which I took fairly regularly for a period of about 3 months, I had never been a drug user. Pot a few times in highschool, this exstacy, and that's it.
Anyway, initially the symptoms of what I assume to be nerve damage were much worse than they are currently. These symptoms consisted of a continuous pressure in the back of the head, jaw clenching brought about by the afore-mentioned back of head pressure, dizziness, tinglings in extremities, and feeling like I was moving even when still. These feelings of movement were sometimes mild, but at other times it felt as it my body were being almost violently jerked up and down. Remember, my body itself was still during all of this. These were sensations.
Within two years the jerking sensations stopped, but all other symptoms remained, and have continued to remain right up until today. Some days are worse than others. Just about an hour ago, a horrible fit of dizziness swept over me, for instance.
I should note that I've always been an extremely anxious person, and obviously this hasn't helped matters. I mention this because it's always possible that some of the sensations or whatnot are due to stress and not the exstacy damage per se. But really, I have no idea.
Shortly after these symptoms began, I did go to the doctor and got an MRI. Everything was fine. A few years later, I went back to the same doctor to report that these sensations were continuing. He wrote me out a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication. I never got the meds, as I figure since they seem to work in the same fashion that exstacy works, such meds might actually cause further damage to me. That is not a gamble I am willing to take.

Anyway, does anyone here have any idea what might be causing these symptoms: jaw clenching, continual pressure in the back of the head (kind of at the point where head and neck meet), dizziness, tingling in extremities, sensations of movement when the body is still.
By "what might be causing these symptoms", I mean what sort of damage?
Please help me.

Reply Flag this Discussion

17 Replies:

• Hi there ... sorry to hear of your suffering. I am very ... "more than" familiar with what you are experiencing and what you feel ... along with the 'why's and wherefore's' of how this came to pass. What you describe is, sadly, many times what one endures consequentially. Especially if other substances are in the mix, namely alcohol ... and also even OTC (over-the-counter/other) meds mixed ... when/if conditions are "just right" for complications to take place. Frequently ... people in recovery and those recovered from considerable substance use/abuse over long periods of time have similar problems. Also, additional problems as well (depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc.) are found quite often amongst those in the substance recovery communities. In addition, there are many cases of sexual problems reported as well (premature ejaculation, inability to ejaculate, inability to achieve and/or maintain an erection, loss of libido, etc.); also, urinary problems in some cases ... incontinence and/or leaking of urine, weakened bladder control. Sounds like you got out of it in time and avoided a lot of this. Based on my personal experiences, being close and involved with those in recovery, and bearing witness to so much ... I suspect you may have some anxiety due to your past over-indulgence; it sounds like it was very long-term as well, with a substance being so toxic ... in addition to the other possible toxins/substance(s) you may have ingested as well. Considering ... it sounds like you have come out of it quite lucky and God has really blessed you ... being that in your case, it could be much worse based on what I've seen. It does sound as though you have some nervous system damage, although it does not show on MRI ... perhaps because this is an "overall" problem with your nerves themselves, and many inconsistencies given the wear and tear on your body as a whole ... and without any particular "target" that has been damaged. You do not mention how long it has been since you stopped using, etc. ... but that is also a huge factor. In many cases, what you describe is temporary ... but in others, not so temporary. You also say that you have always been of an anxious personality type; that does have a bearing as well. Obviously, you are not treated effectively ... given your opening statement: "I am at the end of my rope and, to be honest with you, life hardly seems worth living anymore. I am desperate, and do not know what to do." I detect a lot of anxiety there, along with major depression. Again, I reassure you ... what you are experiencing is quite common. Please do not feel as though you are alone ... or that others cannot relate, your situation is not ... at all, unique ... although I assure you, I know it feels that way; remember ... feelings are not facts. There are hosts of others going through the same, and most all succeed and overcome it all with time if they persevere. I'd like to address your statement here: "I never got the meds, as I figure since they seem to work in the same fashion that exstacy works, such might actually cause further damage to me. That is not a gamble I am willing to take." Although you feel strongly about this, at least temporarily ... meds may be the only way to help you overcome what you are experiencing. This can change, the meds eventually becoming unnecessary ... and for some, it does; for others, they may need meds lifelong to function and experience life as it is intended ... happily and symptom-free ... with productivity and fulfillment. Medications are just one tool in re-gaining one's footing as they pertain to situations such as yours. Most-importantly, I would like for you to bear in mind this one fact; if you do, in fact, suffer from major depression and/or anxiety ... you probably need medications. Why? Because typically, it is a physical-body chemical imbalance that causes these conditions ... so in essence ... you cannot "will this away" or "think it away" or similar. It is, again, physical; nor will it go away without help and "prompting" to get it going in the "right direction" so that, physically, your body will again be able to balance out these chemicals independently. Not without help, it's too far advanced ... now being a physical/chemical problem within your brain/body ... rendering medications necessary, again ... perhaps only temporarily, bear that in mind. One thing I know that has a bearing on your feelings, as you state, is the nature of your recovery and how you came to be abstinent ... do you have support, or did you initially? Again, how long have you been abstinent? Did you just put it all down independently? These are key to your ongoing, long-lasting, recovery and abstinence ... most-importantly bearing on your long-term quality of life. Please advise. You are in my prayers. Hang in there! P.S. If what you are experiencing is a physical/brain/body chemical imbalance, it will not subside without treatment ... and will most probably get much worse over time; ultimately, you will need meds if this is the case in your particular situation at present ... and I do suspect it is. By going on as you are, also ... bear in mind ... is MUCH harder on your body than any treatment to overcome this would be, I assure you! Stress kills ... anxiety/depression included ... as stress on the emotions = stress on the body, all-inclusively!
    neurotransmissing 145 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thank you for your long and thoughtful reply! To answer your question: I took the exstacy fairly often for a period of 3 months. This was 9 years ago. I stopped almost immediately after the symptoms mentioned in my first post began, and have not done anything of the kind since.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Leo, Okay, I am understanding that you have been abstinent for nine years then? I am also understanding that you took the ectasy for three months, correct? How much and how often? (Unfortunately, it doesn't take much.) Also, I'm understanding that prior to those three months when you used ectasy, you had none of these symptoms prior and were in perfect health; am I understanding correctly?
  • Exactly. "Yes" on all counts. Though in terms of health, as mentioned in the first post, I've always been anxious and 'high strung'.In terms of how much and how often, I would say probably close to once a week, perhaps two pills each time. Except for the last week or so (which is probably what damaged me), when I believe I took close to 10 in one night.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Thanks for answering so promptly. Here is what I suggest, my personal opinion, only ... of course. I suggest that you go for a complete physical examination and tell all of this to your GP/PCP (regular doctor). Secondly, I suggest you try ... at the very least ... a low dose of an anti-anxiety-targeted medication and see how you feel and function then. If you like, and are comfortable in doing so, you may personally email me at neurotransmiss@yahoo.com; I will share some experiences with meds found to be most helpful; then these will be a bit "narrowed down" so you don't have to go through the "circle-circle" of trial and error that happens often ... due to physicians, meaning well, but being unfamiliar with substance abuse and the ramifications necessary to provide scripts most effectively in such cases. I also have a personal story relative to what you are going through that you may find to be of interest. I am especially interested in the nature of your lifestyle at present, as well; I'm not suggesting you need treatment or similar ... as you have been abstinent for nine years now. However, there are some key things that prove helpful if you are still struggling (those emotional difficulties and feelings ... in/of which the physical "phenomena" prove to play on and cause you even more distress). As far as seeking further medical attention ... I would first give the above-mentioned some time and take it piecemeal after that. One thing at a time, one day at a time. However, I feel it important that you keep your emotions in check; I too, have an anxious type-A personality. Although I did/do not suffer to the extent you do ... I've had my bout and recovered myself after a short stint, such as yours. However, mine followed a series of "off-again, on again" binges. Although the "experts" do not feel I am an addict or similar ... I did get treated and am, at present, most definitely a "potential addict/alcoholic" if I were to "provoke" similar again, no doubt! My entire family tree is riddled with substance abuse, and sadly, only two of us with the problem are ... or have remained ... clean/sober. I have removed myself and live away and apart from them/any/all similar, I had no choice; although I do and will always love them. We cannot help anyone that chooses not to help oneself ... and sometimes it becomes necessary to walk away ... as I did, left with no other option for my own self care.
  • Anyway, does anyone here have any idea what might be causing these symptoms: jaw clenching, continual pressure in the back of the head (kind of at the point where head and neck meet), dizziness, tingling in extremities, sensations of movement when the body is still.By "what might be causing these symptoms", I mean what sort of damage? Please help me.Your problems sound to me like they are indeed induced by your anxiety rather than any drug you took 9 years ago. On-going problems from MDMA use to not present in the symptoms you describe. Jaw clenching is a sign of TMJD-- usually a result of anxiety.The pain at the base of your skull could possibly be a tension headache-- that is where your occipital muscles get tight. Or, your trapezius muscle (which attaches there) could be tight and pulling, causing the pain. Again, anxiety.Dizziness: anxiety.Tingling in your extremities, including sciatica, is normally because your muscles are too tight and entrap the underlying nerves. In your hands that would either be your pec minor muscle or your scalenes. As for the sciatica, assuming you do not have any bulging discs in your spine, the piriformis muscle clamps down on your sciatic nerve causing the numbness and tingling. Muscle tightness of this sort is usually due to improper posture, sitting for long periods and anxiety, as well as not sleeping properly to allow your muscles to 'reset'. All of your symptoms seem to stem from your anxiety so you need to get a handle on that. It is not true that all anti-anxiety meds use the same neuroreceptors as MDMA-- you need to talk to your prescribing physician about that. However, it is possible to cure anxiety without the use of meds. I like cognitive behavioral therapy-- it did the trick for me, no meds.If all this is really bad enough for you to think life is no longer worth living-- you need a reality check. Many people live with much more problems/pain/life-ending diseases with a much more productive state of mind. Please seek counseling as you can get better from all of this and your life is worth more that you seem to think it is. At least half of all pain is caused by your thoughts and emotions surrounding it. For the muscular issues (most of your physical problems seem to fit with too tight muscles, hypertrophy), a well trained massage therapist with extra training in both myofascial release and neuromuscular therapy should be able to help you relieve the pain, med free. Just check credentials, all are not the same.
    Harmonium 322 Replies Flag this Response
  • Leo, just so there's no confusion here ... your original post, "9 years of exstacy-induced ***l," is absolutely possible and happens often. Here are just a few links that explain the potential long-term effects, and you will find all of your concerns addressed within these ... as I just did. http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/ecstasy.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_MDMA_on_the_human_body http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDMA http://www.mdma.net/ Just reiterating, your problems began nine years ago (you recognized the connection, and stopped immediately; no problems prior) and symptoms (likely, resulting from damage ... as you suspect) continue to present ... again, you are on the right track in suspecting the ectasy ... as these links further explain. There is no question about the fact that you are suffering with anxiety ... to my knowledge, nobody doubts that nor did they ever; however, you will find that information as well, a "trigger" that appears very apparent in your case ... the ectasy you took nine years ago; upon which time you recognized the anxiety. As for cognitive therapy ... sure, a bit later. For now ... it appears quite apparent that, at this point in your suffering, in-depth cognitive therapy is a bit premature until you regain a bit of footing. Hence, I suggest small steps ... lest you get into something feeling as though you cannot follow through, further aggravating your situation. First things first, take small steps. In addition ... cognitive therapy, alone, does not cure depression or anxiety once it has progressed to a certain point ... again, a physical-body-chemical imbalance; at nine years, I strongly suspect you need the aid of meds ... at least a low dose on a temporary basis. As time passes, the answers will show themselves. Again, please refer to the links above ... and there are countless others you will find throughout cyberworld that address and explain. The links pertaining to each and every detail brought up in this thread so far, so you will have clear and accurate information. Best of luck to you! :rolleyes:
  • I'm sorry to contradict you neurotransmitting, but I disagree with your assessment and I think Leo77 deserves more than one opinion. Yes, it is possible from long-term excessive use of the drug Exstacy that serotenergic changes can occur to the seratonin receptors. However, Leo77 is not showing classic signs of that, he is showing classic signs of anxiety and depression. Which, btw, he states were present (though not to this degree) PRIOR TO consuming the offending drug (which, btw, we have no idea how pure it was, it is possible it wasn't even MDMA with all the cutting done to these types of drugs). While the short-term adverse effects and contraindications of MDMA are fairly well known, there is significant debate within the scientific and medical communities possible regarding long-term physical and psychological effects of MDMA. Short-term physical health risks of MDMA consumption include hyperthermia, and hyponatremia. Continuous activity without sufficient rest or rehydration may cause body temperature to rise to dangerous levels, and loss of fluid via excessive perspiration puts the body at further risk as the stimulatory and euphoric qualities of the drug may render the user oblivious to their energy expenditure for quite some time. Diuretics such as alcohol may exacerbate these risks further. MDMA causes a reduction in the concentration of serotonin transporters (SERTs) in the brain. The rate at which the brain recovers from serotonergic changes is unclear. A number of studies have demonstrated lasting serotonergic changes occurring due to MDMA exposure. Other studies have suggested that the brain may recover from serotonergic damage; however, damage caused by heavy, prolonged use of MDMA may be long lastingThree months of taking one pill at a time, then a culmination of 10 pills at once on one occasional, does not constitute heavy, prolonged use. As for the meds that Leo77 doesn't want to take.....they are just a stop-gap, a way to fix the problem short-term.And if it is true what you propose that the MDMA permanently messed up Leo77's serotonergic receptors, any anti-anxiety med would not be able to work due to the uptake receptors being damaged, permanently. Personally, I subscribe to the belief that our brains are highly neuroplastic.....meaning that they can 'fix' themselves, rewiring for just this sort of issue. For any long-term relief of anxiety or depression, CBT is the method of choice. I absolutely disagree that CBT is not called for here. CBT does not throw you in over your head-- it works with your immediate problems at the particular patients own pace. It is not too much. In fact, it saved my life. It does begin with small steps! If Leo77 is at his wit's end, thinking life is not worth living, I find it entirely irresponsible to suggest that meds alone will help him. He needs therapy! 'Physical-body-chemical imbalances' are not 'cured' with meds alone. In fact, I never took any meds for my chemical imbalances and I have been 'cured' all the same. There are other, less invasive, ways to change your neurotransmitters. Taking a bath or eating, for instance, ups your seratonin and your GABA. Going for a run or other physical exertion ups your dopamine. It's all about training your mind and body to shut off the 'fight-or-flight' sympathetic response, calling into play the body's balance for such with the parasympathetic response-- all part of the body's autonomic nervous system. Meds are not the only answer and in some cases, the wrong answer. I have used exstacy and LSD far more than Leo77 has stated he did. My anxiety and depressive issues did not begin until many years later. My doctors (including my neurologist) think that my prior drug use had absolutely nothing to do with my current problems at that time. Of course, they also believe in the theory of brain plasticity (many scientists do!). Leo77, really, it doesn't matter if the MDMA caused your issues or not-- you cannot go back in time and change the fact that you took them. Regardless of the cause, the treatment of choice for your anxiety and depression (which I believe from experience is causing the muscular issues) is still the same--Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. You can start slowly with CBT, I did. I also believe you would benefit greatly from a Massage Therapist trained in myofascial release and neuromuscular techniques. Meds are not your only choice!
  • I'm sorry to contradict you neurotransmitting, but I disagree with your assessment and I think Leo77 deserves more than one opinion. Yes, it is possible from long-term excessive use of the drug Exstacy that serotenergic changes can occur to the seratonin receptors. However, Leo77 is not showing classic signs of that, he is showing classic signs of anxiety and depression. Which, btw, he states were present (though not to this degree) PRIOR TO consuming the offending drug (which, btw, we have no idea how pure it was, it is possible it wasn't even MDMA with all the cutting done to these types of drugs). Three months of taking one pill at a time, then a culmination of 10 pills at once on one occasional, does not constitute heavy, prolonged use. As for the meds that Leo77 doesn't want to take.....they are just a stop-gap, a way to fix the problem short-term.And if it is true what you propose that the MDMA permanently messed up Leo77's serotonergic receptors, any anti-anxiety med would not be able to work due to the uptake receptors being damaged, permanently. Personally, I subscribe to the belief that our brains are highly neuroplastic.....meaning that they can 'fix' themselves, rewiring for just this sort of issue. For any long-term relief of anxiety or depression, CBT is the method of choice. I absolutely disagree that CBT is not called for here. CBT does not throw you in over your head-- it works with your immediate problems at the particular patients own pace. It is not too much. In fact, it saved my life. It does begin with small steps! If Leo77 is at his wit's end, thinking life is not worth living, I find it entirely irresponsible to suggest that meds alone will help him. He needs therapy! 'Physical-body-chemical imbalances' are not 'cured' with meds alone. In fact, I never took any meds for my chemical imbalances and I have been 'cured' all the same. There are other, less invasive, ways to change your neurotransmitters. Taking a bath or eating, for instance, ups your seratonin and your GABA. Going for a run or other physical exertion ups your dopamine. It's all about training your mind and body to shut off the 'fight-or-flight' sympathetic response, calling into play the body's balance for such with the parasympathetic response-- all part of the body's autonomic nervous system. Meds are not the only answer and in some cases, the wrong answer. I have used exstacy and LSD far more than Leo77 has stated he did. My anxiety and depressive issues did not begin until many years later. My doctors (including my neurologist) think that my prior drug use had absolutely nothing to do with my current problems at that time. Of course, they also believe in the theory of brain plasticity (many scientists do!). Leo77, really, it doesn't matter if the MDMA caused your issues or not-- you cannot go back in time and change the fact that you took them. Regardless of the cause, the treatment of choice for your anxiety and depression (which I believe from experience is causing the muscular issues) is still the same--Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. You can start slowly with CBT, I did. I also believe you would benefit greatly from a Massage Therapist trained in myofascial release and neuromuscular techniques. Meds are not your only choice! Harmonium, You most certainly are also entitled to your opinion ... and I'm sorry you took my post to imply otherwise. It appears that you have misunderstood the content ... and the context ... of my posts. To clarify, at no point and time did I direct Leo77 to only, or exclusively, turn to the use of prescription medications as the sole option here. Simply ... when one starts, best to start at the beginning. These are all tools, what you posted ... as well as what I posted. Not only am I well-studied in cognitive therapy, but also in a full spectrum of psychological and psychiatric healing techniques and therapies ... also, pertaining to substance abuse ... overall and very extensively; not only personally, but also professionally. Hence, I've seen countless cases ... and actively participated in many recoveries (and the failures too, by those that choose not to recover) ... in those cases, exactly of the nature of which Leo77, himself, based his original post. For further and detailed information about my experience, I additionally offer Leo77 my email address ... for which my personal/professional life, occupations, experiences, and similar don't belong here on a public board.:cool: I'm not here for a debate and I'm sorry that you appear to feel animosity toward my posts. I agree that we disagree, and for me ... (cognitively speaking) it's that simple! Thanks for sharing your opinion. No hard feelings, okay?! None here. :)
  • Harmonium, You most certainly are also entitled to your opinion ... and I'm sorry you took my post to imply otherwise. It appears that you have misunderstood the content ... and the context ... of my posts. To clarify, at no point and time did I direct Leo77 to only, or exclusively, turn to the use of prescription medications as the sole option here. Simply ... when one starts, best to start at the beginning. These are all tools, what you posted ... as well as what I posted. Not only am I well-studied in cognitive therapy, but also in a full spectrum of psychological and psychiatric healing techniques and therapies ... also, pertaining to substance abuse ... overall and very extensively; not only personally, but also professionally. Hence, I've seen countless cases ... and actively participated in many recoveries (and the failures too, by those that choose not to recover) ... in those cases, exactly of the nature of which Leo77, himself, based his original post. For further and detailed information about my experience, I additionally offer Leo77 my email address ... for which my personal/professional life, occupations, experiences, and similar don't belong here on a public board.:cool: I'm not here for a debate and I'm sorry that you appear to feel animosity toward my posts. I agree that we disagree, and for me ... (cognitively speaking) it's that simple! Thanks for sharing your opinion. No hard feelings, okay?! None here. :)Neurotransmitting,I'm not here for a debate either. I hold absolutely no animosity towards you. I agree that we can disagree. I didn't take your post to say that I couldn't post my opinion-- I don't really understand where you are getting that. I feel as if I understood both the content and the context of your earlier post, I simply disagree. The problem I see is that you see meds as a beginning step and I view them as an absolute last resort. Just a difference of opinion. I think Leo77 must find his own solution. I don't believe there is only one solution. I'm just trying to show him a different opinion.It's fine to agree to disagree. I hold no animosity towards you or your posts. No hard feelings.
  • Neurotransmitting,I'm not here for a debate either. I hold absolutely no animosity towards you. I agree that we can disagree. I didn't take your post to say that I couldn't post my opinion-- I don't really understand where you are getting that. I feel as if I understood both the content and the context of your earlier post, I simply disagree. The problem I see is that you see meds as a beginning step and I view them as an absolute last resort. Just a difference of opinion. I think Leo77 must find his own solution. I don't believe there is only one solution. I'm just trying to show him a different opinion. It's fine to agree to disagree. I hold no animosity towards you or your posts. No hard feelings. Hello Harmonium, Thank you for clarifying. Again, I do not find any problem with your posts ... only pertaining to "sequencing" and, again, I don't feel this board is the place to elaborate with details. You, also, are welcome to email me and I will be very happy to share with you one on one ... all of that which I speak of "vaguely" here. So that you understand, I do recognize your wisdom and see much benefit in the information(s) you offer; not only here on this thread, but throughout. Perhaps an information exchange would help us both, as our perspectives will be afforded a more open and widespread knowledge and awareness on a more individual level, pertaining to individual(s) cases/situations/histories. I am open to this if you feel it would be something you would enjoy. Two good brains coming together and "brainstorming" options and detailed experiences on individual levels would very likely prove to be better than one, each, apart. That's totally up to you, but I offer. Take care, and again ... thank you for posting; in no way or fashion was my intent to discredit what you posted ... simply, I'm more concerned about the nature and sequence of an approach. Being the nine years, and being that which brought about and initiated the problems Leo77 is experiencing at present. Further ... I agree, it is of no matter that the substance(s) initially brought about these problems; like you say ... in essence, nothing can be done about that which has already taken place ... and we can't bring it back and "undo" it. However, given the nature of how this did manifest ... I feel it most important that this be handled on a more "individualized" basis, even moreso than the typical (of which I also feel strongly, that no case should be undertaken without the basis of each and every individual's manifestations addressed prior, to insure the most benefit overall). I feel that although the treatments and therapies all run parallel, overall, there still remain the individual traits, personalities, details, and situations that ... although "boxed-up" with the solutions/tools we both mention ... should be handled accordingly ... on an individualized basis for optimal potential for recovery. I see that my posts about this may appear vague. Again, my apology ... it's hard to relay much on a public message board when addressing the many details and individual's variables. I try hard not to get too personal on threads ... because as I'm sure you know, it can have a rebound effect when made public. Thanks for understanding, and taking the time to consider my perspectives. I find yours quite interesting as well, and am open to sharing more in-depth, via my offer above. :) Happy Posting to You!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• That was a very kind and thoughtful post, neurotransmissing. Thank you. Perhaps an information exchange would help us both, as our perspectives will be afforded a more open and widespread knowledge and awareness on a more individual level, pertaining to individual(s) cases/situations/histories. I am open to this if you feel it would be something you would enjoy. Two good brains coming together and "brainstorming" options and detailed experiences on individual levels would very likely prove to be better than one, each, apart. That's totally up to you, but I offer.I think I would enjoy what you propose. My e-mail address is harmonium77@gmail.com, please feel free to write me. I agree that two good brains are better than one and I'm always open to other's perspectives. I think this will be a good experience.
  • That was a very kind and thoughtful post, neurotransmissing. Thank you. I think I would enjoy what you propose. My e-mail address is harmonium77@gmail.com, please feel free to write me. I agree that two good brains are better than one and I'm always open to other's perspectives. I think this will be a good experience. Harmonium, Thank you as well ... I too, feel that your response is a very kind and thoughful post as well, and I am happy that you would enjoy sharing our knowledge and experiences. I'm confident we will find it fulfilling, as we explore one another's perspectives with the open-mindedness to recognize the exceptional gifts and value we both offer others; especially with more awarenesses that we can share ... which I happen to believe will evolve into even more and better concepts, on both our parts. I'll be sending you a message shortly.
  • Now that's an outright lie, Harmonium...It is NOT a lie, and I resent the accusation. I do believe that two GOOD brains are better than one. I have investigated your theories and I do not believe them to be based in medical fact. Just because I disagree with you personally, and only you I might add, does not mean that I am close-minded or not willing to look at another's pov. I did research your pov, I just don't agree with it.Please do not accuse me of anything like that ever again, or you will be reported for causing undo drama and making false claims here on the boards.
  • Post (1) of (2) Hi there ... I come in peace! Further, I even suspect my post is on topic here in neurological; being this appears to be a matter of intellectual thinking processes ... evolving from the human brain. Mindsets along the lines of perceptions, perspectives, developmental cognitive thought processes (automatic thoughts), and ........ all the many other intertwined processing that 'habitats' the nature of human relations, problem-solving, etc. ... all on the basis of self, irregardless of how any of it manifests; plenty good though, that's the best part. First of all, I want to make my communications here clear prior to the sharing of my own personal perspectives and opinions ... I am here to help, that's all; I do not take sides or "get in the middle" either ... never. I see a situation here, and I also believe my feedback and opinions may very well prove helpful. Please ... it is not my intention to "stir any pot" or create dissension amongst myself, another, or between others ... anyone, anywhere, here, there, & over there ... ad infinitum; so I respectfully request that efforts be made to simply understand my points and where I'm coming from by posting ... being that of another perspective TO HELP; my own personal opinion, my own personal observations and so forth. Further adding that all of which each and every individual that posts is, in fact, entitled to share here on the boards. Openly sharing ... and even if it's not "right on" ... I suspect people do post on the basis of trying to help others/another, even if the answers may not all be "right" or "perfect" or "in agreement" with the feelings or opinions of others. The bottom line here is that people are trying to help one another; disagreements are allowed here ... it's a public message board with feedback being posted by laypersons when newcomers arrive "grasping at straws." I am posting here because I happen to believe it will prove very beneficial should anyone choose to contemplate on the points I wish to present for consideration. Or more ... ask, disagree, whatever the case may be; I'm more than happy to share about anyone's concerns or questions if my post is unclear at all. Again, as I am simply going to copy/paste from above; my motive here: "... people do post on the basis of trying to help others/another, ..." "I do not take sides or "get in the middle" either ... never!" "Please ... it is not my intention to "stir any pot" or create dissension amongst myself, another, or between others ... anyone, anywhere, here, there, & over there ... ad infinitum; so I respectfully request that efforts be made to simply understand my points and where I'm coming from by posting ... being that of another perspective in order TO HELP ..." Perhaps not now, if, by the grace of God, this has been effectively resolved rightly. Still-in-all, appears to serve well for contemplation now and for future reference anyway from what I see! So on that point ... it's made, one down. With what we each know ... regardless of how much or how little ... the main thing that we all share in common is that we post in an effort to help (unless, of course ... there are those cases of arrivals that come just to harm; don't see that it applies here ... at least I hope not); no matter how little that help may prove to provide. If nothing else, people arrive here and know that someone took the time to listen, show compassion, and care simply by being thoughtful human beings made of flesh and blood ... given those people support; even if some posts aren't "perfect" or "medically accurate." Let's face it, in this forum ... pertaining to each and every board ... a clearly-relayed a "disclaimer/such/similar" advising each and every individual to seek expert medical care and advice, in "such-and-such" words and with that clear understanding presented upon entry. Further adding that the purpose of these boards is not to come seeking a diagnosis, medical advice, etc. Fact is ... it could be that NONE of us are correct; we are ALL grasping ... the help is gained by offering others some direction ... new areas to explore that may have been unknown previously or overlooked. Even the true experts that post here cannot provide more than direction and educated/experienced guesses ... and by no means, BTW, am I minimizing the exceptionalism and character of those experts (how many experts, actually practicing or in that/similar medical profession take the time ... those are the kind of people I want in my life ... now there's quality, wholesome, depth of character ... my striving); what they provide is extremely valuable here when people are stuck in the dark, having to turn to a message board ... in some cases, having been through the mill without answers, diagnosis, or even further direction; but even the experts post direction to appropriate possibilities so proper examinations and testing can be carried out. We ALL have valuable information to share when we post ... especially for the new arrivals. The information may seem 'eccentric' or 'way off' to many when we find posts of others from time-to-time. However, being that at least the poster cared enough to post ... I can't help but feel like that should say something! I suppose it would really stink to arrive here on the board and post a question ... and with all these people here and participating, asking for help themselves, to not care enough to take the time to even acknowledge the post, especially one of a new arrival in suffering (and at times, of suffering of great depth). If to post for no other reason ... at least posting to relay a show of compassion would be a kind thing to do. But that's my opinion; I don't have a "whole lot" of time to spend posting, but when I do, I first reply to the people I've already been conversing with. If I'm idle from time-to-time and can give more ... personally, I seek out all that have ZERO (0) replies and try to help (my first choices being those of which I have best chance of helping); when I cannot help, I express that I am grasping at straws by offering some kind of direction (based on what I would do if I got no replies here) ... and show my compassion. That's just my personal feelings about what I feel to be the way to conduct myself ... by no means am I implying that others should; it's simply part of some points I'm trying to make clear, my motive pure ... being an effort to help here on this thread too. By my own admission, I too see posts out and about in various threads that I "feel" to be "way off" and not even remotely accurate or helpful. Too bad though, because my feelings are not facts ... they are feelings. No doubt, others probably see similar in mine ... my "feelings" about that "fact"?? So what! Does it really matter, an opinion on a public message board, where the points about usage and informations exchange are made clear upon arrival? Will it matter in an hour? A month? A year? Will it harm another here on the boards? (Again, they have their instructions to read prior to posting upon arrival.) Is it going to impact my life, my health, my family, my career, my children? How? Really now ... is there truly some "threat" to me because another may not share my opinion? Heck no!!! I have groceries, my bills are paid, I'm not disagreeing with an employer or similar, I'm not breaking any laws, I'm not harming another ... so big deal ... I have no reason to be angry if another disagrees with me here. The obvious "unhappy" or "unsavory" feelings and reactions (or actions) like those stemming from animosity, as I've been seeing, only serve one purpose ... to defeat the whole purpose in being here on the boards at all! I care about the feelings of others; I do my best to show that. If/when I see I have "offended," I do step up to the plate and address it to the best of my ability ... as a peace-making effort (which is NOT about me, and it is NOT in my own defense; my focus is on the other person ... especially because my intent here is to help and I have nothing to "prove" to anybody; if I didn't care about others, peace, helping ... I wouldn't be here since getting my answers and having all there is for me to get for my own case here) to show respect and decency for, to, and toward, the feelings and efforts of others that are also taking the time to post. Perspective ... it's always good to review and measure it realistically, I happen to believe; and that belief has served me quite well, I add. This is a public message board; it is based on opinions ... public opinions ... layperson opinions ... patient opinions ... all opinions. Opinions expressed on the part of us, as individuals, to help and support one another any and all ways possible; I suspect that's the biggest point, the purpose for the evolvement of the forum's boards to begin with; and the topics that pertain, upon which the forum appears to have been founded, are medical ... it's that simple!!
  • Post (2) of (2) I see other options ... and also hold the opinion that posts are often made impulsively, based purely on emotions perceived to be implicated insults; of which in turn, appear to be based on individuals in opposition, both feeling as though they need to defend themselves ... and their "rightness" ... being a completely different issue; a personal one involving character, communication, problem-solving, esteem, and relationship skills (of which each and every individual must master for, and on behalf of, him/herself(ves). I question the reason for anyone here feeling the need to defend oneself UNLESS they truly are "followed" and "attacked" ... as appears to be the case here in this thread, I am guessing? In a different thread, it appears that the "attacker" that CAME HERE attacking on THIS THREAD actually claimed to be the "victim" THERE on the other thread ... PRIOR; further ... with cold and empty threats that aren't even applicable that I can see here; quite the opposite, I might add. Perhaps I'm missing something? Also, as I as reading ... I found a statement in that other thread along the lines of "if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all" ... clearly being in opposition to that poster's very own statement of which is posted ... by NOW coming to this thread and doing that very thing??!!! That doesn't seem sensible, not to me ... or rational ... after the claimed-original "victim" that now arrives here carries this on without provocation ... looked over to me. (Which, BTW ... again, I reiterate about the forum's notices and such ... intended to be read and understood prior to participation). I don't find anything in those posts in that thread to justify the empty threats in the other thread I reviewed ... IRONICALLY, looks like it may apply here in this thread though, given the uncalled for and unnecessary arrival here to begin with ... followed up with a comment that showed very evident motives in my humble opinion; uhhmm ... those of which very well could prove justifiable cause to ban a poster/member as far as the Administrators & Moderators may recognize as well should similar continue. Forgive me if I'm wrong ... but that's what I see, and read. Also, admittedly ... there could be more on the part of others in which I am not aware; truly ... I don't see the point in seeking it out, it's a waste of time ... at this time, now proving pointless due to my opinions ... that this post is the total sum of my choice to propose other options for resolution? Gain some understanding? Shed some light on how these public message boards are clear about the possibilities should one choose to post? Etc.? Etc.? Mostly ... I'm hoping this will provoke some deeper insights as to people, human beings, deserving to be treated with respect regardless of opinions, or a difference of opinions. How boring the world would be if we were all exactly the same! Robots, programmed! Suppose our Creator got out a cookie cutter and made us all, all the same, no differences. How, then, would we experience life? It would be nothingness, I happen to believe; I don't see many ways we could recognize happy from sad ... or any most-mimimal 'range' of emotions. Sameness ... flatliners, that's what we'd be. No inventions, no creativity, no new perspectives, now new possibilities, just "that" ... the "nothingness of sameness" ... so we would be "flatliners, lifeless." Where's the joy in that? It is truly sad to me if there is no respect amongst people for one another's differences (ADMIRATION, especially ... it's always there; if you look, you can always find something good about each and every person; even the ones that may provoke feelings of utter and absolute disgust), if one holds firm in their own personal opinions? And the other individual does as well? So somehow, that should create problems and tension on the boards? Why? We all have the right to appropriately share our opinions ... in peace. Here's my viewpoint: Who am I to attack (as it seems has happened in more than a few instances I've seen in the forums) another simply because our opinions differ? If they differ, I will elaborate ... and the other individual(s) may do so as well; then we can all have more information to think these situations over to effectively conduct our own "self-evaluations" by using the open-mindedness that we each have available to us. Then ... after doing that ... we still may not agree, and feel strongly in opposition to the other's opinion on both parts. Does that matter? Perhaps that should be left up to the original poster to decide? Everybody that comes here is told to read about the forum rules and disclaimers and such when they arrive, that's the way it works. If others don't, I can't control that ... I can't control people either ... and I certainly don't care to try either! FREE WILL ... we each have it equally, to aid or destroy. Choices, choices, choices .... Lest we forget that other thing we all share ... humanity, EQUALLY! I've yet in my lifetime to meet a perfect human being, anybody else? I, for one, am far from attaining that character trait! :eek:Ohhhh perfect ones ... do show yourselves. It also helps me to remember that we are all here reading text (yes, keyed in by an actual person); but let's face it, we have no way of TRULY knowing if someone is "taking an attitude" if they are simply speaking bluntly. In person, it's typically easy to gauge that ... by expression, tones of voice, etc. Not so in text ... just like anything else, strong communication skills in writing are not a strength in most cases given the conditions here/similar ... people are also sick. I suspect most are just getting to the point, nothing personal ... and move on; best not to take text personally simply because it may be transcribed very "matter-of-factly" without radiating other than that of the point one is making to simply get to the point because the information is what is being sought ... in a lot of cases, while in pain. Lastly ... if I have observed in error; do tell! I absolutely will listen and review posts if/when/as directed should that be the case; I will do that for you, to whomever that may apply that may feel this is still an issue of which they struggle. If that's the case, whomever is no less than anyone else! Communicating in full with clarity is very comforting. And I also happen to believe that the only stupid question one can have is the one they don't ask. If I don't know the answer, or have misunderstood or misplaced the intended content of the communication as it was intended to be understood ... then the question obviously isn't stupid! Thanks for listening ... or not. LOL :DI gave it my best ... take what you want and leave the rest.
  • We have here a serious dilemma, when the health care system begins down playing symptoms. Your problems sound to me like they are indeed induced by your anxiety rather than any drug you took 9 years ago. On-going problems from MDMA use to not present in the symptoms you describe. Jaw clenching is a sign of TMJD-- usually a result of anxiety.The pain at the base of your skull could possibly be a tension headache-- that is where your occipital muscles get tight. Or, your trapezius muscle (which attaches there) could be tight and pulling, causing the pain. Again, anxiety.Dizziness: anxiety.Tingling in your extremities, including sciatica, is normally because your muscles are too tight and entrap the underlying nerves. In your hands that would either be your pec minor muscle or your scalenes. As for the sciatica, assuming you do not have any bulging discs in your spine, the piriformis muscle clamps down on your sciatic nerve causing the numbness and tingling. Muscle tightness of this sort is usually due to improper posture, sitting for long periods and anxiety, as well as not sleeping properly to allow your muscles to 'reset'. All of your symptoms seem to stem from your anxiety so you need to get a handle on that. It is not true that all anti-anxiety meds use the same neuroreceptors as MDMA-- you need to talk to your prescribing physician about that. However, it is possible to cure anxiety without the use of meds. I like cognitive behavioral therapy-- it did the trick for me, no meds.If all this is really bad enough for you to think life is no longer worth living-- you need a reality check. Many people live with much more problems/pain/life-ending diseases with a much more productive state of mind. Please seek counseling as you can get better from all of this and your life is worth more that you seem to think it is. At least half of all pain is caused by your thoughts and emotions surrounding it. For the muscular issues (most of your physical problems seem to fit with too tight muscles, hypertrophy), a well trained massage therapist with extra training in both myofascial release and neuromuscular therapy should be able to help you relieve the pain, med free. Just check credentials, all are not the same.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 15, 2009
    • 05:51 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement