Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

All my joints are going wrong!

Posted In: Muscle conditions 0 Replies
  • Posted By: stingray
  • December 15, 2006
  • 09:26 AM

I'm a very active person - regularly taking part in extreme sports.
Not sure if this is related, but: A few years ago I started to run and felt extreme pain in my right bug toe main joint. I now have arthritis there.
Since then, one after another, my other joints seem to have become more and more 'loose' - though I'm not able to bend them particularly far the wrong way - so I don't think it's a hypermobility issue.

It started with my knees - which I do seem to be able to move a _little_ further back than they used to. They hurt a little from time to time and often click when climbing stairs. The patella on both feels slightly misplaced sometimes and I have to bend my knee to make the feeling go.

My elbows feel like they 'give' a little when I open tight jar lids etc. And then give a little pain for approx a week subsequently.

I started swimming rather than running, to give me knees a break. After about 2 months of it, I got up to swimming a mile per session, 3 times per week, in about 40 minutes (front-crawl), but had to stop when my shoulders started to feel 'loose' and hurt a little. Rotating my arm through a full circle when standing caused popping sounds, a feeling of mis-alignment and mild pain. I stopped the swimming 3 months ago now, but I still have the same shoulder issues. Before I started swimming my shoulders were fine.

Very recently I've become aware of a similar feeling of misalignment from my hips from time to time.

All of this has come on in the last 2 years. Before that I never really understood what people meant when they were injured - I thought they were being hypercondriacs.

After all of this I'm starting to get a little paranoid that there's something generally wrong. It seems like every time I shift to a new activity, some other joint weakens on me.

Or am _I_ now being a hypercondriac? Is it just simply that I'm not as young as I used to be - and I should take things a bit more easily? I'm 35.

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement