Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

All my joints are going wrong!

Posted In: Muscle conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: stingray
  • December 15, 2006
  • 09:26 AM

I'm a very active person - regularly taking part in extreme sports.
Not sure if this is related, but: A few years ago I started to run and felt extreme pain in my right bug toe main joint. I now have arthritis there.
Since then, one after another, my other joints seem to have become more and more 'loose' - though I'm not able to bend them particularly far the wrong way - so I don't think it's a hypermobility issue.

It started with my knees - which I do seem to be able to move a _little_ further back than they used to. They hurt a little from time to time and often click when climbing stairs. The patella on both feels slightly misplaced sometimes and I have to bend my knee to make the feeling go.

My elbows feel like they 'give' a little when I open tight jar lids etc. And then give a little pain for approx a week subsequently.

I started swimming rather than running, to give me knees a break. After about 2 months of it, I got up to swimming a mile per session, 3 times per week, in about 40 minutes (front-crawl), but had to stop when my shoulders started to feel 'loose' and hurt a little. Rotating my arm through a full circle when standing caused popping sounds, a feeling of mis-alignment and mild pain. I stopped the swimming 3 months ago now, but I still have the same shoulder issues. Before I started swimming my shoulders were fine.

Very recently I've become aware of a similar feeling of misalignment from my hips from time to time.

All of this has come on in the last 2 years. Before that I never really understood what people meant when they were injured - I thought they were being hypercondriacs.

After all of this I'm starting to get a little paranoid that there's something generally wrong. It seems like every time I shift to a new activity, some other joint weakens on me.

Or am _I_ now being a hypercondriac? Is it just simply that I'm not as young as I used to be - and I should take things a bit more easily? I'm 35.

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

• You are suffering exactly what I am going through. But feel free to correct me. :) Mine is partly a hyper mobility issue, but I also have the added condition of insulin resistance syndrome (IRS). If you have developed IRS your tissues will not rebuild like they should and you may even be suffering muscle wasting but it will cause you to become loose like you describe. I reported to my doctors that I felt I was becoming more mobile but this was fobbed of as being all in my mind. NO it wasn't!!!I suggest you have a glucose tolerance test GTT.I have just replied to the thread http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=5611 You may find it interesting or helpful regarding what the GTT is for and other test ITT.You are not a hyperchondriact.Agape,Searchingsam
    searchingsam 54 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 10:48 AM
    Flag this Response
  • "Or am _I_ now being a hypercondriac? Is it just simply that I'm not as young as I used to be - and I should take things a bit more easily? I'm 35." I hope you find an answer to your problem. I dont think you are being a hyperchondriac and at 35 and fairly fit by the sounds of it anyway, I personally (thou I are not no doctor) dont think exercise should be harming you, 35 yr olds are not physically old. Swimming is known as a fairly gentle sport too, thou competitive swimmers occassionally hurt shoulders (I used to do competitive swimming) but I havent heard of shoulder problems in the way you described at all. That and the fact of you having problems no matter what you are doing, it does sounds as if something is truely wrong.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • December 20, 2006
    • 06:29 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement