Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

chemical taste and fatigue

Posted In: Medical Stories 1 Replies
  • Posted By: always_tired
  • June 4, 2009
  • 07:06 PM

A few or more times a day I experience episodes where I smell and taste a chemical, my eyes lose focus and I have a very strong urge to close my eyes and go to sleep. Soemtimes I nod off no matter how hard I try not to. I have even nodded off across the desk from my boss while he was talking to me!

I have seen a neurologist and had several EEGs and a sleep study. They thought I might be having seizures or some sort of narcilepsy, but they never found anything.

Just this week I went to a new doctor and he said he thinks I have an enlarged thyroid. I am scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow.

I have been complaining of severe fatigue and have had the gammut of tests several times over the last seven years or so. I am hoping that the enlarged thyroid is an explanation, though the blood tests I have had in the past have never shown indications of thyroid problems.

I am hoping to put this to rest, but I am not sure that the enlarged thyroid adequately accounts for the chemical smell and taste. Is there anyone out there that has any ideas about this?

Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

• A few or more times a day I experience episodes where I smell and taste a chemical, my eyes lose focus and I have a very strong urge to close my eyes and go to sleep. Soemtimes I nod off no matter how hard I try not to. I have even nodded off across the desk from my boss while he was talking to me! I have seen a neurologist and had several EEGs and a sleep study. They thought I might be having seizures or some sort of narcilepsy, but they never found anything. Just this week I went to a new doctor and he said he thinks I have an enlarged thyroid. I am scheduled for an ultrasound tomorrow. I have been complaining of severe fatigue and have had the gammut of tests several times over the last seven years or so. I am hoping that the enlarged thyroid is an explanation, though the blood tests I have had in the past have never shown indications of thyroid problems. I am hoping to put this to rest, but I am not sure that the enlarged thyroid adequately accounts for the chemical smell and taste. Is there anyone out there that has any ideas about this? Thanks! http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=182282#post182282 It could be b12 deficiencies, among other things. B12 deficiencies can cause narcolepsy, sensory hallucinations, severe abnormal fatigue and lots of other things.
    Freddd 3,576 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement