Discussions By Condition: Blood conditions

swollen tonsil; please help

Posted In: Blood conditions 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 13, 2006
  • 07:40 PM

My right tonsil is swollen and sore. I have always had really large tonsils so I'm used to them seeming really large when I am sick and they are swollen. However, this has been going on for about three days now and it seems to be getting sorer. Also, it is large enough that it feels like an obstructon in my throat which is kind of scaring me. I have no symptoms of illness other than my sore tonsil. My question really is if anyone knows of anything that might reduce the swelling. Also, at what point should I see a doctor and will they really be able to do anything since I’m assuming if I am sick it’s probably viral. Also, is there anything I can do in the mean time to reduce the pain or help my body fight what ever is irritating it? Thanks!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

• I know this isn't alot of help, but gargling with warm salt water does help some. And it does help a little with the pain. Old remody, but still works.
    ladybug5161 2 Replies
    • December 28, 2006
    • 06:22 PM
    Flag this Response
  • We are currently contending with this same situation. Daughter's right tonsil is huge looks like a fist in her throat. It is not red but does hurt if touched from the outside. I can tell you that you should see your doc and have a strep test done if the cause is viral it will eventually work its way out. If it is bacterial it can be treated more easily with antibiotics. Warm salt water gargle helps. Chloraseptic spray as well. Consider yourself contagious and do some really deep cleaning, practice good hand washing and once your condition has passed THROW AWAY YOUR TOOTHBRUSH and get a new one to keep from reinfecting. Also extra fluids plenty of rest and Ibuprofin or aleve can help with swelling and pain. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 29, 2006
    • 03:31 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I know how you feel I've been suffering for 4 months now.Yes!! I said 4 mos. Go to the doctor, hope they help you.I'm an older adult and every time I get a sinus or "flu- cold" infection it goes right into my throat.I think my tonsils should of been removed long ago, but no Dr would even recommend it.I was sent to a ENT Dr which was waste of time & $$, he looked up my nose & down my throat.Telling me my R-tonsil is ENLARGED,kind'a red but looks ok. Right!!! For the past mos. I've been eating soft foods,because of swallowing pain.I also taste a "pus" taste in my mouth.I took 3 rounds of antibiodics to STILL have this.When I went back to my PCP she told me I'm ok.Well...........I don't feel so ok!I went to "home remedies" and found where gargling with salt water & vit C ( dissolved tablets) is what will help.I'm so desperate I put salt on the handle end of a long spoon and touched it to my tonsil. That hurts!! but,it feels a little better.When I was in college and got this the infirmary Dr. would "swab" my tonsils with a iodine & glycerin mixture.That helped allot, just it hurts like H---!!!! I've lived with this all my life.I feel most of this misery could of been avoided if my tonsils would of been removed.I wish Dr's would take this more serious!!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Take Vitamin Tonics, like seven seas - all the vitamins you need for when you are ill, Echinacea extract (liquid or tablet), stops flu syptoms from coming through, and alot of fruit and maybe vitamin c chewable pills.This will basically make you feel fine bar the fact you have swollen tonsils, and do this until the virus goes away.After that carry on making sure you get all the vitamins you need, fruit and veg 5 a day, water balance diet and exercise and you are unlikely to get ill from these kind of things.
  • My right tonsil has been swollen for almost a week now. It does not hurt but it is inflammed at the edges of the roof of my mouth. There aren't any white spots or discoloration areas minus the shade of red it has turned. I am 27 years old; Any advice on good methods to remedy this?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement