Discussions By Condition: Endocrine conditions

Overweight child since tonsils and adenoids out

Posted In: Endocrine conditions 19 Replies
  • Posted By: krispykritter777
  • December 1, 2006
  • 03:29 PM

When my son was 6 years old he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. Before this surgery he was very skinny. Within months after his surgery he started to gain weight. Now he's 11 and extremely obese. Could this surgery be the root to the weight gain? He eats a health diet and gets exercise, but his weight is now effecting that as well and I am a concerned mom.

Reply Flag this Discussion

19 Replies:

• It might not be connected, have you researched cushings and acromegaly?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 07:19 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Krispy Kritter Have you gotten anymore replies on this?! This happened to my daughter several years ago. SHe had her tonsils out when she was 5 due to very large tonsils causing sleep apnea. At the time, she was being seen every month because she was so underweight and not growing. By the time she was in 2nd grade, she was average weight. By 4th she was overweight. Now, at 16, she is near obese. The doctors told me it was because of the severity of her apnea, causing her to burn many calories just breathing at night. However, 10 years later, my other daughter had her tonsils out. No sleep apnea. She weighed 110 at surgery in Oct, by April she was 124 and a little over a year later, she is at 140. She is 4"11' , exercises and diets diligently. I KNOW there is a correlation but can't get a doctor to listen. Her thyroid is fine. Any help would be so very much appreciated.
    jcwarden 1 Replies
    • January 26, 2009
    • 10:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I would really like to know if anyone gets any response to this. I linked the weight gain of my now 16 year old son who wore a super slim until he had his tonsils and adenoids out in 3rd grade and was wearing Husky's by 4th grade. Like many doctor's pay no attention. He is diligent in his diet and it seems to be linked with depression also. Let me know if any of you hear anything.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I would be really interested in this as my son is 5 and is going to have his tonsils and adenoids removed on 8/17/09. He is very small and currently takes growth hormone injections. The ENT that we saw specifically said that the surgery could make an impact on his growth--due to my son's sleep apnea instances and breathing issues--he has huge tonsils.
  • Hi FriendGood carbs & protein low in fat is always the way to go. make breakfast fun for the kid, i guess.Log on to Achieve Ultra Health
    ryanjone 4 Replies
    • August 21, 2009
    • 09:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • When i was 5 i got my tonsils removed. I dont remember much of it but i remember being thin, now im 16 and gained alot, and i cant seem to get rid of it.i dont eat badly im really healthy, i never knew and now this could be why... is it true?
  • Hi krispykritter777I don’t think that gaining weight have to do anything with removing tonsils and adenoids. Because one of my friends did the same operation about 3 years ago, but he didn’t gain any weight after his operation. He looks the same yet tall and skinny.I think that you better not worry so much about it but if you have any doubts you better take your child to a physician. Then you will have a clear view of your child health condition.Hope my thoughts helped you.Thank you.___________________________________Short Term Health
    kamanee 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is really odd. There is no known correlation between adenoidectomy and weight gain in current medical literature.Diet & lack of exercise are not the only causes of obesity. Some individuals are genetically susceptible for obesity. Steroids may be a cause if he is on them for a long time.Brain Injury Lawyers in Las Vegas
    sayuri 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • When my son was 6 years old he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. Before this surgery he was very skinny. Within months after his surgery he started to gain weight. Now he's 11 and extremely obese. Could this surgery be the root to the weight gain? He eats a health diet and gets exercise, but his weight is now effecting that as well and I am a concerned mom.please let me know of any replies. My was in good normal thin shape before he had his tonsils and adenoids removed.after the surgery he has gained sooo much weight he is now obese. This happens in a matter of 6 months. He never drinks pop, ice cream, or fast foods, or any juices saturated in sugar. My younger son eats more junk food than him and is thin, like my older son use to be. Everything stayed the same at home. so it had to be the surgery!!!!
  • Found this thread because I googled "tonsils metabolism." One of my 3 y.o. twins just had her adenoids and tonsils out not quite 2 months ago in March for snoring and suspected apnea. Pre-surgery both twins were about 50th percentile for weight. After the surgery, she lost a lot of weight, because she wouldn't eat or drink much after surgery. Once she was feeling back to normal, her appetite returned to normal as well. However, she is really gaining weight rapidly. She and her fraternal twin were roughly a pound apart at their check up in January, and she is at least 4 pounds heavier than her sister now. I guess I will bring this up with her ped and ENT, but it sounds like I'll get the brush off. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed.
  • I believe that having your tonsils removed DOES have an affect on gaining weight. I had my tonsils removed when I was 4 years old, from that day forward I have gained weight my whole life. I am 33 years of age now and am still overweight. I am a very active person, and I still struggle with my weight. I met with a gentleman last weekend who was a part of my life when I was a child, we were reminessing about when I was young. The topic got brought up of when I got my tonsils out, I was such a dainty thing...then all of a sudden I started gaining weight. Well 29 years later I am 253 and STRUGGLING to keep from getting bigger....it's an everyday worry!!!!!! I wonder why this is seeming to occur in most children who get their tonsils removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• My son was getting Strep every month. He was super skinny, had to buy slim jeans, and they were still too big. He had his tonsils and adenoids removed when he was 4. He started to gain weight.... and I now have to buy him Husky's. I mentioned this to his Dr. a couple of years ago, and she told me there has been a link between having adenoids removed and weight gain. I do believe this. If my son had not changed so much since his surgery, I wouldn't have believed it. He hasn't had Strep since, but does this mean he will have to battle obesity?? He is now 9 by the way.
  • I found this site after a google search for "child gaining weight after surgery." My daughter had a inguinal hernia repair when she ws 4 1/2. By the time she turned 5, she had gone from a size 4T clothes, to 6X. She is now 9 and weighs 102 lbs. As a competitive swimmer, she is very active. I, too, have brought this up to her Dr and got "the blow off." I'm curious if anesthesia may disrupt metabolism for some people. My MIL had her tonsils out when she was a small child (6yrs old, I think) and gained weight too. She struggled with weight her entire childhood/young adulthood. She also has a thyroid problem. (Since she was 13!!!) I have 2 other children, and when they turned 5 I felt like I was waiting for them to pack on the pounds.....both kids are as thin as can be. My daughter's physician has recommended REALLY paying attention to her eating habits/portion size. We are doing that, and will see how it goes.....but I know she didn't start eating any differently the day after she had her hernia repair....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 12, 2010
    • 11:17 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm amazed to find this topic as I just googled "tonsils and metabolism" . My son had his t/a surgery when he was 8 and was very thin (had to wear slim jeans), immediately after recovering from the surgery he started gaining weight and within 2 years close to being overweight. I think there are parts of the body that we've always thought didn't have an important function or a function that could be managed without (appendix/tonsils) and perhaps they have other functions than we now know. That's why the MD's don't consider this possibility.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 18, 2010
    • 11:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I am now 53 years old, I had my tonsils out in the 2nd or 3rd grade, early 60's. I was very skinny before but have been "chubby" ever since. I eat 85% good, have tried every diet, every diet pill, worked with a trainer for 2years, everything. My older brother also had his out and he is soooo obese. I have been told that I have a homorne inbalance. I wish someone would tell me what to do to take some of this weight off, and how to balance my homornes, the doctors have been useless.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 26, 2011
    • 01:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I'm amazed to find this topic as I just googled "tonsils and metabolism" . My son had his t/a surgery when he was 8 and was very thin (had to wear slim jeans), immediately after recovering from the surgery he started gaining weight and within 2 years close to being overweight. I think there are parts of the body that we've always thought didn't have an important function or a function that could be managed without (appendix/tonsils) and perhaps they have other functions than we now know. That's why the MD's don't consider this possibility.There is now a study out by St. Louis University that shows a link between weight gain and tonsil removal (2/1/11). My son had the same problem. The question is, what do you do now that the tonsils are out? Do they have a lifetime of fighting their weight?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 2, 2011
    • 02:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i think you didn't try medifast drink ever...you can go for it....check it for more detail- http://couponnext.com/coupons/medifast-diet-com
    GilbertHerman 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • I also had my tonsils removed. I was 15 when i had my tonsils and adenoids removed, and every since then i gained weight quickly. up until my 10th grade year i was a size 3 and now im 25 in a size 15 and i can not lose the weight no matter what i do and i am more active now that im 25 than when i was 15 the same thing also happend to my daughter and i am curiouse if n e one finds out any thing
  • My son is 5 and today he had his kindergarten physical and the doc said his tonsils are huge and he will probably need to get them removed. He eats pretty healthy, takes gymnastics and karate and he's still overweight. The dr said the obstruction causes less oxygen to go to his cells at night and is affecting his metabolism. He says after the surgery he should lose weight. Has anyone else heard this?
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement