Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

PLEASE can anyone help my son?!

Posted In: Mental conditions 78 Replies
  • Posted By: rachelashley22
  • November 29, 2006
  • 06:40 PM

ANYONE who is willing to look at this email and give me some advice on what to do with my 6 year old son, will be beneficial to us in our situation. He was diagnosed recently with ADHD. (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) He's been on Metadate CD, Adderall, and Strattara, for this disorder. I've also taken him to an ear eyes nose and throat doctor who took out his tonsils and adenoids to see if this condition had anything to do with sleep apnea. He's been on Strattara again (2nd time been placed on this med) and for some reason at school he is now dazing off more, walking around the classroom at his leisure, and lying to me about the kind of day that he's had when he gets home. I am so lost. I have an appointment scheduled for him at the eye doctor to see if he needs vision help, I thought maybe it might be something they call oppositional defiance disorder (commonly referred to as ODD) but I really don't think he's a bad child. I'm wondering if the strattara is what's causing this behavior! I need some help! Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what to do with him? I'm at a standstill point with him and just need some direction! For all I know, he may not even have ADHD!

Thanks!
Rachel:o

Reply Flag this Discussion

78 Replies:

• ADHD is over-diagnosed massively in this country. In my opinion about 90% of "Cases" are misdiagnosed and the kid does not have it. Psychiatric drugs are very powerful and can damage devleoping children as well as adults.If he really has ADHD, it should be pretty obvious to you. I could probably tell if he had it within 15 minutes of observation. A child with ADHD is usually extremely hyperactive, has zero attention span, sometimes makes random noises for hours on end. Even if he has these symptoms, they must be significantly more extreme than the normal, for his age and gender. If you don't think he has ADHD, then you shouldn't complicate his biochemistry by accepting the psychiatric drugs.None of those classroom symptoms alone prove ADHD. When I was in 1st through 3rd grade I would randomly wander around the classroom too, or get into fights in school. I did not have ADHD. Some children just do things like that, it is highly abnormal for a young child to enjoy or be able to sit still in a boring classroom for hours on end.Oppositional Defiant Disorder is virtually a made-up disorder by psychologists. Its a broad label to cover a wide range of behavior that they dislike. I doubt it has any basis in biological fact. In other words it is a BS "disorder" that they are using to sound like they know what is happening when they probably don't. Saying a 6 year old is "oppositional" when at that age their personality is not even actuallized yet, is just silly, in my opinion. If he is acting defiant, there are more likely very small, momentary causes for it, like he is tired one day, or wants a particular toy the next, or is scared of some thing, or he responds better to one type of correction and he's been given a different type.Even IF he has ADHD, drugs would not automatically be the best therapy.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2006
    • 08:56 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Look into autism. There are many forms of it, but most think of the child sitting on the floor rocking back and forth lost in their own world. Many children and adults with the less obvious forms of autism have been wrongly diagnosed with ADD because of 'unacceptable' behaviours.Many autistic people are very gifted in certain areas.Also children who arent autistic but are advanced for the age accademically find school tedious if there level of intillect is higher than normal, and start to show signs of 'acting up' purely because they are bored.Personally, I wouldn't have the child on any medications. As the previous post said, meds interfer with biochemistry.Take him of the meds, have him home for a few days and see what his interests are, art, reading, singing gardening, master at those computer games; just to give yourself some idea of what takes his interest.Find out more about the not so obvious autism types, some of these children can be very disruptive, contact a support group for autism and explain your situation and see if there is any feedback that is familiar to you.All best,Agape,searchingsam
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2006
    • 10:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hopefully he was on proper doses of these medications.The bigger problem with ADHD is that even though it is diagnosed it is under treated as far as drug dosage is concerned.Try to talk to a child and adolescent psychiatrist and ask for forms to fill out to get a definitive diagnosis made.Also FOCALIN is an option, or a combination of metadate and risperidal if he has some underlying oppositional/impulsive component.Hope this helps.ANYONE who is willing to look at this email and give me some advice on what to do with my 6 year old son, will be beneficial to us in our situation. He was diagnosed recently with ADHD. (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) He's been on Metadate CD, Adderall, and Strattara, for this disorder. I've also taken him to an ear eyes nose and throat doctor who took out his tonsils and adenoids to see if this condition had anything to do with sleep apnea. He's been on Strattara again (2nd time been placed on this med) and for some reason at school he is now dazing off more, walking around the classroom at his leisure, and lying to me about the kind of day that he's had when he gets home. I am so lost. I have an appointment scheduled for him at the eye doctor to see if he needs vision help, I thought maybe it might be something they call oppositional defiance disorder (commonly referred to as ODD) but I really don't think he's a bad child. I'm wondering if the strattara is what's causing this behavior! I need some help! Does anyone have any suggestions for me on what to do with him? I'm at a standstill point with him and just need some direction! For all I know, he may not even have ADHD! Thanks!Rachel:o
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2006
    • 10:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with both unregistered and searchingsam.Autism does mimmick a LOT of the symptoms of ADHD.Also, look into something called "Aspburger's Syndrome"My brother was diagnosed with both ADHD AND Autism, before we discovered that.Either way, instead of pumping him full of personality changing drugs (which may do more harm than good in the long fun) get him into therapy.Not counseling, behavioral/communication therapy.It has worked for lots of severly autistic children.It helps to calm their frustration from not being able to properly communicate. Him "lying" about his day, might just be because he cannot properly put it into words, so he gets frustrated, and makes up a lie. And yes, ADHD meds have been known to cause ALL sorts of crap. Try the therapy for a while, and if that doesn't work, look into maybe trying a low dose anti-depressant. That, along with some rather tough love (i.e. sit down, shut up, and do your work.) is what got my brother (who started out at the age of 5 in a mental institution) better. good luck!Sheena P.S. My brother has since graduated from HS, and got an associates in computerated drafting.Your son can do it!NEVER GIVE UP ON HIM, AND DON'T LET HIM GIVE UP!:D
    ShawneeGirl 37 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 02:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Also, get him checked for petit mal seizures.And make sure that he's not being bullied at schoolPlease.Bullying a child with any sort of communication, or "understanding" disorder, can, literally, drive him crazy.Good luck!Sheena
    ShawneeGirl 37 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 02:15 AM
    Flag this Response
  • BTW, DO NOT let the teachers allow your son to wander around the classroom.Sometimes it took my father actually coming to class and physically sitting him down (from time to time) to break that habit. If the behavior is not corrected (no matter how many times you must correct it) he won't know any better!He thinks it's acceptable to walk around during class, and no matter how far gone a person's mind/capacity to understand may be, you have to correct them.Sheena
    ShawneeGirl 37 Replies
    • December 15, 2006
    • 02:20 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I agree with the person who said ADHD is over-diagnosed in this country. It became the "in" diagnosis a few years back, and teachers would send any student that caused any kind of disruption for an "ADHD evaluation". Of course they all had it, and got meds to make them sit quietly and vegetate, so as not to 'disrupt' the class.Here is my take: Have your son tested to see if he is 'gifted'. I was one of those kids who got up, wandered around, bothered other kids, and pestered the teacher to no end. I was evaluated, and my parents chose to get a second opinion, rather than rely on the school psychologist. I was tested and found to be reading on an eigth grade level at age 7. My problem (though at seven I couldn't explain it to anyone) was I was bored to death! After the teachers began giving me more and harder work to occupy my time, most of the disruptive actions went away. Please see if your son can be taken off all the meds. It is perfectly NORMAL for a six year old boy to wander around, be curious, and have a rather short attention span. As long as he is not being violent or acting out badly towards the teacher, he is being pretty normal. The teaching profession has fallen under the BS that many psychotherapist use to sell their services and meds, and believe that if a child isn't sitting passively in their desk staring mindlessly at a book, they are ADHD or ADD. This IS NOT TRUE. A study I read (I cannot quote the source) noted that boys (more so than girls) are 'active learners' meaning that they learn by doing and interactions much better than they do by reading and study. I am reminded of this study because one of the findings was that boys who were allowed to get up and wander about the room for a few minutes at a time during the day did far better on tests than boys who were forced to sit still in a desk all day and constantly corrected for figetting. Food for thought.
    star1701gazer 2 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 07:34 AM
    Flag this Response
  • is he physically small?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 7, 2007
    • 00:53 PM
    Flag this Response
  • seriously ,is he on the small side?was his birth weight low?if you dont talk yo me i cant help you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 01:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Your son can be helped. Go to www.drfuhrman.com. Call Dr. Furhman for a consult; some insurance companies will cover it, and it would be worth your money. This is a highly trustworthy, extremely knowledgeable doctor. He helps people with ADD and ADHD all the time.Also, you can immediately start your son on fish oil and light therapy. It works.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 9, 2007
    • 03:10 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I doubt autism given you have no mentioned problems with social relationships or communications. Asperger's would be a topic to look into. Talk to your school psychologist.
    equestrian 14 Replies
    • January 10, 2007
    • 04:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• tell us more about this boy.theres not enough to go on yet.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 10, 2007
    • 08:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • get him to the doctor and have them try geodon. Please dont give him stratera. My son has adhd, opositional difiant and passave pervacive disorders plus some autistic disorders along with speech and learning difficulties. I took him to several doctors they all tried ritiln, adderall, prozac, zoloft ectt. Nothing was helping him, he looked like he was druged out or retarded. finally i found a wounderfull doc who said he also has asburgers syndrom along with all the other things. She put him on geodon and he is a totaly different child. He was 8 when she put him on geodon and now he is 12 and getting a's b's and c's in school.:)
    inotwakko 6 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 03:11 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have to say to the person who said they could tell in 15 mins if someone is adhd is wrong. If my son or anyone with adhd is doing something they really are interested in they may be able to sit for 15 mins or more. for example, video games. just because you have adhd doesn't mean you NEVER sit.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 23, 2007
    • 11:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i agree i dont think anyone can tell if you or your child has adhd in 15 mins. My son can sit for longer if he is interested in what he is doing. Who ever said they can tell in 15 mins. is nuts.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 02:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Sorry that this may sound ignorant to some people, I appoligize. But your son is 6 years old! Alot of kids around this age wander around, lie and are hyper! Why are so many so quick to put drugs into our kids? My daughter showed signs at around 4 yrs old. There is no way in ***l i was going to put her on any medications. It was a struggle, me not getting much sleep trying to keep up with her and dealing with all of her moods. At 5 yrs old I took her to an allergist and here she was allergic to : peanuts, wheat, rice, barley, strawberries, dust, mold, ragweed and EGGS! Please see that I was unknowingling poisoning my child and causing her "bad" behavior. It took a while to cut all of this out of her diet but once I did, there were no more ADHD signs! It took alot of patience and it was hard. She just turned 9 yesterday and I am proud to say that even though it would of just been easier to get her on the zombie drugs, I stuck it out and now have a very nice young lady. Sure she is still a kid and is not perfect by any means. She has moods, still has alot of energy and I'm sure she doesn't always tell me the truth. But think about it, were you a perfect child? Were any of us? I am 34 yrs old and it took my Dr.'s 4 years to diagnose me as Bipolar,manic depressive,OCD,anxiety and panic attacks. I have taken every med that they make for these conditions. And it took a good 4 years for them to find the right ones and dosages. And after all i went through, I took myself off my meds slowly in Oct 2006. Guess what, I am doing the best I ever have. Turns out, including myself, my family, friends and husband never believed these diagnoses. Something usually happens in a persons life to bring this stuff on. I still do suffer from the OCD about germs and such but really who doesn't? I find now after years of therapy with the same therapist who never believed I was Bipolar either, I just could not handle my mothers death. I just could not deal with it. I was extremely close to her and had to watch her suffer froma and die from cancer at 55 yrs old. My behavior after that became so out of control that it was easy to "name" me with all these medical terms. And here, I just missed my mom. Eight yrs later and I am finally somewhat coping. Sorry this was so long but please think twice before medicating your child and check into the allergist. When they are young like that , they really cannot tell you how miserable they feel. And to others, I do realize that some kids do NEED the medicine. My best friends son is ADHD. But I think meds should be last resort. Good luck and God Bless!
    miserableMOE 52 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 02:41 PM
    Flag this Response
  • there is another condition of which a.d.h.d. is a symptom.i asked earlier for information which might suggest that condition ,or tend to exclude it .no response .i ask again:have there been problems relating to physical growth? why the silence on this matter?
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 24, 2007
    • 09:50 PM
    Flag this Response
  • unless you start to observe beyond the obvious,this discussion will continue its dreary ,fruitless rotation.is he better yet?no?thought not.you need to spend more time at the observation stage.because you think some enquiry is irrelevant does not mean that it is so. i ask again...was his birth weight low?has he been subject to slow growth?does he remain physically small?is there anything else unusual about this child?only science will solve this for you,and science means observation.i cant see this child,if you dont fill this out a little all folks can do is guess.has it been helpful? good luck..you may need it.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 00:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • if you will not observe beyond the obvious,all you have to rely on is luck.the best of luck ,then with your womens magazine analyses.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 30, 2007
    • 11:31 PM
    Flag this Response
  • a.d.h.d. is not a diagnosis but a description.at best it is unhelpful because it does not tell you why it is happening,and at worst it is diversionary,in that it takes attention from the big picture,and,worse,suggests that there isnt a big picture.it is like calling cancer"incomprehensible lump disorder" .it isnt going to take you any closer to knowing what to do.for goodness sake,observe beyond your preconceptions!while you bicker,the childs distress continues.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 02:34 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement