Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

I can't go to a doctor & I'm desperate for help.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 21 Replies
  • Posted By: ~ b l u s h
  • November 29, 2006
  • 07:30 AM

Hi,

I've been having this headache on the right side of my head. 10% of the time, it goes to my forehead, but pretty much all the time, I can remember it's on the right side of my head. It's been giving me constant pain for the past week.
Last year, I had this HUGE migrane that just engulfed me in pain for a while. My estimate is about 30 - 60 mins. It hasn't happened since. But I thought I might mention it since it also occured on the right side of my head.

My mom claims it's because, "I'm not getting enough sleep." So, going to the doctor is not really an option. She's stubborn.

IMO, I have been. . I haven't even fallen asleep in class lately.

And in solution, all she does is feed me advil/tylenol.

I'm scared of what might happen to me if I don't know - so I thought I might ask. These are the next closest thing I can find to a doctor.

You may ask me any questions concerning my health, for I am beyond desperate now. >< My headache is really hurting right now, and it's bothering me from sleep.

Reply Flag this Discussion

21 Replies:

• Bump ... ?
    ~ b l u s h 5 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 11:00 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Tell your mom that you heard that Mono is going around. If nothing else, that will at least get her to take you to the doctor for a check-up!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 11:18 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Parents are often right.. so if you mum thinks you are not sleeping enough, she may well have a point! So make sure you have 8-9 hrs of sleep a night then if you still are getting the headaches, I guess she would then take you to the doctors. Lack of sleep, can and does cause headaches.
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • November 30, 2006
    • 05:27 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Most of the time I get 8 hours of sleep. If not, 7. Max, 10 hours on a school night.And on weekends/days off, it's usually 11 hours+.For some reason, even with 9 hours of sleep for the past 3 nights, she thinks I haven't been getting enough. 9 hours is a plenty lot. I went to bed hecka early, hoping it would be a solution, but it wasn't. But thanks.Oh, and what's a mono?
    ~ b l u s h 5 Replies
    • November 30, 2006
    • 06:30 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Most of the time I get 8 hours of sleep. If not, 7. Max, 10 hours on a school night.And on weekends/days off, it's usually 11 hours+.For some reason, even with 9 hours of sleep for the past 3 nights, she thinks I haven't been getting enough. 9 hours is a plenty lot. I went to bed hecka early, hoping it would be a solution, but it wasn't. But thanks.Oh, and what's a mono?
    ~ b l u s h 5 Replies
    • December 2, 2006
    • 04:49 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Mono-Mononucleosis:It is an infection that is also called the kissing desease, where I'm from. It usually lasts around 4 weeks. I don't think you could have mono, and although it is a way to get to a doctor, the doctors may not actually treat the "headache". Have you been eating something different lately? Or stopped eating something you normally eat? Or even have you recently stopped taking any medicatons? If no to every thing. If you can't get your mom to take you to the doctor, at least tell a school nurse, if you have one.Please talk to your mom, and let her know what is going on, she really needs to know. She is there with you and for you, so tell her everything, how you feel and what school, friends, even family life is like for you. You may be stressed out and don't even know it! By telling her as much as possible she will hopefully understand what you are going through and get you to a doctor. I hope your headaches go away soon. They aren't much fun. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 2, 2006
    • 05:54 AM
    Flag this Response
  • for you to find this site at age 13 , the head pain must be scarring you .my pain starts in the back of the head. it occurs mostly when i am trying to sleep , get through the day on tylenol arthritis , it has an anti-inflammatory in it.next time and every time in school you have a head ache , go to the nurse .
    lynda29 4 Replies
    • December 3, 2006
    • 07:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could be to much time on the computer, if you are not sitting correctly these compilcations can occur. Eyestrain can often give you headaches as well. If this sounds like you, get outside more and take up some physical activity, you are much to young to be visiting these type of sites. Tell your mum that you are really worried, a check-up by a doctor should put your mind at rest. :)
    hairy45 11 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 01:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Man, I feel for you. Kids don’t get much of an ear from anyone. It is either put down to being a hypochondriac, attention seeking or growing pains. I’m 37 and had to put up with this from the age of nine, and it is only these past few weeks I have gotten anyone to really listen. And you must be desperate to come to a site like this. And I wouldn’t be telling your mum or anyone about it either just in case it becomes your only support for a while, last thing you need is it taken away. I am sure most adults forget what it was like to be a child and this is very sad.The idea to go to the school nurse is a good one, as well you might have to go to a counselor and say the headaches are interfering with your school work if you feel this is the case. Be warned, the nurse and the counselor might say as many negative or unreasonable things as what you have so far met with from your mother. But you will just have to persevere and be very patient. Just don’t end up taking any meds to treat depression. Doctors love to give out pills like sweats and blame everything on depression or in the young, blame every thing on ADHD.Yes, every time you have a head ache go to the nurse and ask if you can lie down for a spell with a cold flannel on your head. She will either get sick of you or concerned. The school won’t like you missing class and may end up sending a note home to your mother for you to have your headaches checked out.But I must mention stress. Do you like school? When are your headaches at their worst? But I do think it strange you should have such a blinding migraine and now suffer headaches constantly. It doesn’t sound like stress only if at all, and you definitely sound like you are getting enough sleep. You said bump? in your second posting. Did you bump your head at the time of your blinding 30-60 minute migraine?I am also going to assume you are a girl. Have you started your periods? Some girls get migraines once they start and end up having them for life, which I see as some type of hormone thingy. The body goes through massive changes once it hits puberty, no matter what our gender.My mum often called me a hypochondriac, but at least she afforded me the right to see a doctor no matter how she personally felt; just to be on the safe side. To be honest with you, in your situation I would confine myself to bed and draw all the curtains and insist you see a doctor, even at the risk of a good hiding. I say this only because of how I was treated by being meek toward doctors and am now paying heavily for it. My life would be a bit different now if I hadn’t let people control my life when I knew something was wrong.I am concerned with such a massive pain in your head leaving you with headaches.If you are happy with school and life in general there is no reason for this to be happening unless there is a physical/chemical reason.But try not to be afraid, the more you worry the worse the headaches, you will get the help you need. Keep your chin up, you are doing well.You sound like you are from a single parent environment. I was, Mum had so much on her plate, she really didn't want me to be sick and tried to brush off a lot of things.Agape,searchingsam
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 06:33 AM
    Flag this Response
  • It doesnt sound like lack of sleep if you are getting the amount you say you are. i hope you go and see the school nurse every time you get a headache like the others have suggested until you are listened too. best wishes...
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 06:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • The first thing I thought of is vision. I am a speech therapist and we are always taught to think of hearing and vision first before the bad stuff. Do you wear glasses or have you had your vision tested recently? It is a good idea to go to the school nurse. If you are in public school, you have the right to a free vision screening. This is NOT a definite diagnosis and you may pass a screening even if you have vision problems. Being in school, you are CONSTANTLY using your eyes and if you are far-sighted or near-sighted you will get headaches (even severe) from trying to focus all day and in the evening while doing homework. Talk to mom about this, if she doesn't listen go and talk to anyone in your school that you feel comfortable with. That person may be able to get your mom to see you need to see a doctor.:)
    mjmslp 2 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 08:08 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Goto Dr's... Say to your mum it's scaring you and is that bad and get her to go with you. I'm not a dr - and in fact don't even know why i'm here... I'm bored.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 4, 2006
    • 09:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i dont know how to sign up on this thing, but i have to know whats wrong with me, i get really bad headaches all the time, like theres not a day i dont have one, and for the past 2 days ive hada constant head ache that wont go away, ive taken advil(which always works ) and nothing happened. also i feel really weak somtimes, almost like im getting the flu, but im not i just get weak, and really tired, but the biggest problem for me is my headaches i went to the doctor cause i thought i had a brain tumor and he said i was fine i also got a blood test and everything was "fine" i dont think ill be ok until i get a cat scan
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 5, 2006
    • 05:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Have you ever been tested for allergies? I have severe allergies and have a number of different symptoms. It seems like with each new thing I become allergic to I have a differnt one! :) Recently I discovered I am allergic to rabbit dander, it gives me headaches on the left side of my head only and can, if exposed or left untreated long enough, lead to a migrane. Over the Counter Pain Killers alone don't always help for me either. I have to take a decongestant/antihistime along with prescription pain killers to keep it manageable sometimes. Suggest to your mom you might have an allergy and try taking a decongestant/antihistimine (Claratin and Alavert are the best Over the Counter ones for me). If it helps then talk to her about allergy testing. Even if it completely goes away, you should still find out what you are allergic to so you can, if you are able, avoid it, or can take steps to minimize the allergens affects. If the headaches occur more often during a certain season, then it maybe a seasonal allergy. If it's during a certain time of day or in certain areas (differnt parts of your house or school) it may be environmental. Or if they occur more frequently after you eat, you may have a food alergy. My friend has a wheat and a corn intollerance and head aches are how the allergy first presented itself. Allergies can occur at any point during your life. You may not have had them as a baby and may develope them now, or may have been allergic and had them go away and now they are making a come back. If taking allegy medicine doesn't help, then try to keep an precise log of your headaches. When they start, when they end, how often, what time of day, what you were doing before it started (including what you ate - if it's a food allergy you will need to start removing certain foods from your diet to test to see if that is the cause. Only remove one type of food at a time and remember, in processed foods, foods are given different names sometimes. For example, casin or casinites means that there is milk in the product). After you have this log (log for a week or two to have a basis to see if a pattern develpes), sit down with your mother. Explain to her you are really concerned that these headaches may begin to affect your school work (they already sound as if they are affecting your concentration) and show her the log. See if maybe she can find a pattern if one isn't discernable to you. If she can't either, than suggest just phoning your doctor about it. Maybe he/she has a suggestion as to what else you might try. Light can be a trigger to make your headaches worse, particularly if you get them while working on the computer . Make sure your room is properly lit. Any strain on the optic nerve can intensify what is already there. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 03:51 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I had migranes for about 2 months. No tylenol or over the counter remedies would help. I went to an eye, ear doctor and they told me I had TMJ. Which is caused by stress. If you sleep at night and you grind your teeth, or clinch it it can cause headaches that lasts aLL DAY. the muscles on the side of youR FACE GETS TIGHT AND SO DOES THE MUSCLES IN YOUR NECK. If this sounds like your symptoms, then what would help is placing a hot pack on your face helps, and massaging the face muscles and the neck muscles helps too. Get a mouth guard to prevent damages to teeths and wear it at night only.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2006
    • 11:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi I just read your blurb. This could be a migraine. It's worth getting a check up. Also pain killers can cause headaches especially if you take them every day. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 7, 2006
    • 00:14 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Man, I feel for you. Kids don’t get much of an ear from anyone. It is either put down to being a hypochondriac, attention seeking or growing pains. I’m 37 and had to put up with this from the age of nine, and it is only these past few weeks I have gotten anyone to really listen. And you must be desperate to come to a site like this. And I wouldn’t be telling your mum or anyone about it either just in case it becomes your only support for a while, last thing you need is it taken away. I am sure most adults forget what it was like to be a child and this is very sad.The idea to go to the school nurse is a good one, as well you might have to go to a counselor and say the headaches are interfering with your school work if you feel this is the case. Be warned, the nurse and the counselor might say as many negative or unreasonable things as what you have so far met with from your mother. But you will just have to persevere and be very patient. Just don’t end up taking any meds to treat depression. Doctors love to give out pills like sweats and blame everything on depression or in the young, blame every thing on ADHD.Yes, every time you have a head ache go to the nurse and ask if you can lie down for a spell with a cold flannel on your head. She will either get sick of you or concerned. The school won’t like you missing class and may end up sending a note home to your mother for you to have your headaches checked out.But I must mention stress. Do you like school? When are your headaches at their worst? But I do think it strange you should have such a blinding migraine and now suffer headaches constantly. It doesn’t sound like stress only if at all, and you definitely sound like you are getting enough sleep. You said bump? in your second posting. Did you bump your head at the time of your blinding 30-60 minute migraine?I am also going to assume you are a girl. Have you started your periods? Some girls get migraines once they start and end up having them for life, which I see as some type of hormone thingy. The body goes through massive changes once it hits puberty, no matter what our gender.My mum often called me a hypochondriac, but at least she afforded me the right to see a doctor no matter how she personally felt; just to be on the safe side. To be honest with you, in your situation I would confine myself to bed and draw all the curtains and insist you see a doctor, even at the risk of a good hiding. I say this only because of how I was treated by being meek toward doctors and am now paying heavily for it. My life would be a bit different now if I hadn’t let people control my life when I knew something was wrong.I am concerned with such a massive pain in your head leaving you with headaches.If you are happy with school and life in general there is no reason for this to be happening unless there is a physical/chemical reason.But try not to be afraid, the more you worry the worse the headaches, you will get the help you need. Keep your chin up, you are doing well.You sound like you are from a single parent environment. I was, Mum had so much on her plate, she really didn't want me to be sick and tried to brush off a lot of things.Agape,searchingsamWow. :S Actually, this did inspire me (and I haven't been to the boards until today). So thank you for the idea of going to the school nurse! I'll try that, but I have 3 weeks to bare before I can (winter break.. hmph).To answer your questions, I do not know when my headaches are worse. >.Oh, and my second post meant to bump the thread, because I really needed an answer (and I waited a day).And yes, I am a girl and from a single parent environment. I seem to be going through the same thing as you. Thanks for being so understanding. :] My mom said she will take me to a doctor as soon as she finds a good one so she and I could both check up, and I asked her this 2 days ago. But she also said this 4 months ago, so I don't know if she's truly searching, or just stalling so I don't annoy her.If it makes any of a difference, I've had my period for almost 2-3 years now. And the headaches only started last year, so I'm not sure if my period is causing this or not.Have you ever been tested for allergies? I have severe allergies and have a number of different symptoms. It seems like with each new thing I become allergic to I have a differnt one! :) Recently I discovered I am allergic to rabbit dander, it gives me headaches on the left side of my head only and can, if exposed or left untreated long enough, lead to a migrane. Over the Counter Pain Killers alone don't always help for me either. I have to take a decongestant/antihistime along with prescription pain killers to keep it manageable sometimes. Suggest to your mom you might have an allergy and try taking a decongestant/antihistimine (Claratin and Alavert are the best Over the Counter ones for me). If it helps then talk to her about allergy testing. Even if it completely goes away, you should still find out what you are allergic to so you can, if you are able, avoid it, or can take steps to minimize the allergens affects. If the headaches occur more often during a certain season, then it maybe a seasonal allergy. If it's during a certain time of day or in certain areas (differnt parts of your house or school) it may be environmental. Or if they occur more frequently after you eat, you may have a food alergy. My friend has a wheat and a corn intollerance and head aches are how the allergy first presented itself. Allergies can occur at any point during your life. You may not have had them as a baby and may develope them now, or may have been allergic and had them go away and now they are making a come back. If taking allegy medicine doesn't help, then try to keep an precise log of your headaches. When they start, when they end, how often, what time of day, what you were doing before it started (including what you ate - if it's a food allergy you will need to start removing certain foods from your diet to test to see if that is the cause. Only remove one type of food at a time and remember, in processed foods, foods are given different names sometimes. For example, casin or casinites means that there is milk in the product). After you have this log (log for a week or two to have a basis to see if a pattern develpes), sit down with your mother. Explain to her you are really concerned that these headaches may begin to affect your school work (they already sound as if they are affecting your concentration) and show her the log. See if maybe she can find a pattern if one isn't discernable to you. If she can't either, than suggest just phoning your doctor about it. Maybe he/she has a suggestion as to what else you might try. Light can be a trigger to make your headaches worse, particularly if you get them while working on the computer . Make sure your room is properly lit. Any strain on the optic nerve can intensify what is already there. Good luck!Actually, all I know is that I'm allergic to dander, dust, pollen, the allergies that are common. :/ I've had them since I was little, not so sure if I was born with them, but I've had them for a good amount of years. :S do you think the school nurse can give me an update on what I am allergic to?
    ~ b l u s h 5 Replies
    • December 10, 2006
    • 09:23 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Are you drinking enough water? Being dehydrated can cause headaches. Also if you sleep on the same side all the tiime, it can cause headaches on that side. If you have a muscle strain in your left arm, you may be compensating for it by lifting your right shoulder, causing strain in your neck, causing headaches on the right side. My suggestion, drink lots of water, switch sides often when you go to bed, when you feel a headache coming on relax your arms, shoulders and neck. Also try rubbing a lemon peel on the area for a few minutes, for some reason it works. Too much asprin can cause abdominal bleeding (ulcers) and you are way too young to be taking asprin all the time. Too much Tylenol has been shown to cause liver damage and you don't need that either. I would try not to take asprin or tylenol (even generic tylenol usually called non-asprin) and try everything else first before you reach for a pain releiver bottle.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 09:40 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i dont know how to sign up on this thing, but i have to know whats wrong with me, i get really bad headaches all the time, like theres not a day i dont have one, and for the past 2 days ive hada constant head ache that wont go away, ive taken advil(which always works ) and nothing happened. also i feel really weak somtimes, almost like im getting the flu, but im not i just get weak, and really tired, but the biggest problem for me is my headaches i went to the doctor cause i thought i had a brain tumor and he said i was fine i also got a blood test and everything was "fine" i dont think ill be ok until i get a cat scanYou may have allergies. Try taking allergy medications. Having allergies can cause that heaviness feeling in your head making you feel weak and tired. You will have headaches and just feel sort of lousy. I remember, a very long time ago, I thought for sure I had a brain tumor and asked my doctor about it, he laughed but prescribed some allergy medications for me. I took it and felt fine in no time.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 11, 2006
    • 09:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I would start keeping a headach log. Write down what time it is when the headach starts, how long it lasts, what you were doing when it started, if you were feeling stressed/anxious/depressed at the time, what you had eaten/drank that day, etc. That way when you do finally get to go to the doctor you will be one step ahead and your doc will be able to look for patterns and triggers.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 12, 2006
    • 02:04 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement