Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Thyroid symptoms and weird hair loss

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: RubberDucky
  • April 9, 2009
  • 07:36 AM

So I haven't had a lot of luck with the doctors I've seen, but maybe someone can help me. For starters, I'm a woman in my mid-twenties. I am overweight, but active.

If you go down the list of hypothyroid, I have a good number of the symptoms:

Weight gain
Joint pain
Fatigue
Dry skin
Dry, brittle hair and fingernails
Depression
Constipation
Low body temperature (typically around 96.7 or so)

and, of course, I've had my thyroid tested and there's nothing that shows up as wrong.
I've had all this for quite some time now. I understand that the joint pain is possibly related the weight gain (though I have, in the past, lost significant amounts of weight and it has had no effect on my joints). Although, how my weight makes my wrists and elbows achy, I don't know.

And now there's something new. I seem to have had a marked decrease in the amount of body hair I have. Sounds great, right? I don't have to shave as much. But really, it's kind of disturbing. It seems to mostly be affecting the body hair that becomes more pronounced in puberty. I don't notice any decrease in the hair on my head, but I definitely have less armpit hair. And there is no hair on my thighs anymore, not even peach fuzz. The hair on my lower legs and pubic area has significantly decreased as well.

It's starting to freak me out. I wasn't an overly hairy person to begin with, but the fact that I can go 2 weeks without shaving my pits and you can't see anything in the mirror? Creepy. I have female friends who, if they go that long, look like they have Don King in a headlock. For what it's worth, my menstrual cycles are normal, but I'm on HBC, so that might have something to do with it (and when I was not on HBC, which hasn't been for many years now, I was always like clockwork).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement