Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Thyroid symptoms and weird hair loss

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 12 Replies
  • Posted By: RubberDucky
  • April 9, 2009
  • 07:36 AM

So I haven't had a lot of luck with the doctors I've seen, but maybe someone can help me. For starters, I'm a woman in my mid-twenties. I am overweight, but active.

If you go down the list of hypothyroid, I have a good number of the symptoms:

Weight gain
Joint pain
Fatigue
Dry skin
Dry, brittle hair and fingernails
Depression
Constipation
Low body temperature (typically around 96.7 or so)

and, of course, I've had my thyroid tested and there's nothing that shows up as wrong.
I've had all this for quite some time now. I understand that the joint pain is possibly related the weight gain (though I have, in the past, lost significant amounts of weight and it has had no effect on my joints). Although, how my weight makes my wrists and elbows achy, I don't know.

And now there's something new. I seem to have had a marked decrease in the amount of body hair I have. Sounds great, right? I don't have to shave as much. But really, it's kind of disturbing. It seems to mostly be affecting the body hair that becomes more pronounced in puberty. I don't notice any decrease in the hair on my head, but I definitely have less armpit hair. And there is no hair on my thighs anymore, not even peach fuzz. The hair on my lower legs and pubic area has significantly decreased as well.

It's starting to freak me out. I wasn't an overly hairy person to begin with, but the fact that I can go 2 weeks without shaving my pits and you can't see anything in the mirror? Creepy. I have female friends who, if they go that long, look like they have Don King in a headlock. For what it's worth, my menstrual cycles are normal, but I'm on HBC, so that might have something to do with it (and when I was not on HBC, which hasn't been for many years now, I was always like clockwork).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reply Flag this Discussion

12 Replies:

• So I haven't had a lot of luck with the doctors I've seen, but maybe someone can help me. For starters, I'm a woman in my mid-twenties. I am overweight, but active. If you go down the list of hypothyroid, I have a good number of the symptoms:Weight gainJoint painFatigueDry skinDry, brittle hair and fingernailsDepressionConstipationLow body temperature (typically around 96.7 or so)and, of course, I've had my thyroid tested and there's nothing that shows up as wrong.I've had all this for quite some time now. I understand that the joint pain is possibly related the weight gain (though I have, in the past, lost significant amounts of weight and it has had no effect on my joints). Although, how my weight makes my wrists and elbows achy, I don't know.And now there's something new. I seem to have had a marked decrease in the amount of body hair I have. Sounds great, right? I don't have to shave as much. But really, it's kind of disturbing. It seems to mostly be affecting the body hair that becomes more pronounced in puberty. I don't notice any decrease in the hair on my head, but I definitely have less armpit hair. And there is no hair on my thighs anymore, not even peach fuzz. The hair on my lower legs and pubic area has significantly decreased as well. It's starting to freak me out. I wasn't an overly hairy person to begin with, but the fact that I can go 2 weeks without shaving my pits and you can't see anything in the mirror? Creepy. I have female friends who, if they go that long, look like they have Don King in a headlock. For what it's worth, my menstrual cycles are normal, but I'm on HBC, so that might have something to do with it (and when I was not on HBC, which hasn't been for many years now, I was always like clockwork).Any ideas?Thanks in advance!Hi RubberDucky,First, love your humor..."Don King in a headlock"...now that I'd pay money to see!If you've had a thyroid panel with numbers within normal ranges, the symptoms you've described above can be indicative of an autoimmune condition. There are many autoimmune diseases but the first that comes to my mind in consideration of your age and symptoms is Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).Please visit the link below and evaluate how your symptoms correlate:http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/systemic_lupus_erythematosus_000063.htmYou'll see that not only SLE but many of the autoimmune diseases are difficult to diagnose. You need to see a knowledgeable Rheumatologist for a comprehensive diagnostic work-up.Best regards,John
    JonMac 165 Replies Flag this Response
  • Joint pain is a part of hypothyroidism. I have mild joint pain that come and go. I never know what joints and it usually migrates. I have no swelling and have been told by my rhumey that the pain is caused by the thyroid problems. I went without a diagnose for 9 months but with all the symptoms. Ask for your thyroid results and post them here or on any thyroid forum. Also the hairloss could be due to adrenal fatigue. I understand it is quite common with hypothyroidism. Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • The fatigue you have.. does it come in a while after you've exercised taking you a very long time to recover??? Does anything seem to trigger the fatigue or make it worst?
    taniaaust1 2,267 Replies Flag this Response
  • Lupus was one of the first things I was tested for, and I tested negative for ANA.I believe I had the thyroid tests for T3 and thyroid antibodies (or something like that) and my numbers were right in the middle of the normal range. In fact, I had a ton of tests done, and the only things that were out of whack were my sed rate (though it was barely high) and the CRP (which was pretty high). I'm not sure what either of those might mean (my insurance has screwed me over, so I couldn't afford to go back to the doc I was seeing), but I might be able to attribute those to my hellacious allergies.The fatigue seems pretty constant. It's kind of weird, actually. I can work out, and I'm fine, but if I'm wandering around like at the mall or running errands, I'll get pretty tired suddenly. But overall, I seem to be tired all the time. I seem to get especially tired about 2 hours after I get up and then sometime in the afternoon. I can take a 2 hour nap in the late afternoon and have no trouble sleeping. On the other hand, I can get a full night's sleep and still feel exhausted.I have heard anecdotes that there are thyroid-related conditions in which you can have normal numbers but still have a thyroid problem. It's convincing a doctor of this that seems to be fairly difficult. (although, it's hard denying this whole hair loss thing. I know this is TMI, but the "carpet" used to be like a thick 70's shag, and now it's more like a wood floor that hasn't been swept in a couple of days) I have also gotten the opinion (from nurse-type friends) that it might be a hormonal thing, but I don't even know where to begin researching that.Thank you so much for your responses. :)
    RubberDucky 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi RubberduckyYour symptoms sound exactly like mine were. I went for almost three years and got seriously ill until I was diagnosed. When you go for thyroid tests they usually only test for T3 T4 and TSH.. what you need is an antithyroid antibody panel test done. I believe you might have hashimoto's disease. Its an autoimmune thyroid disease that is often undiagnosed becauase doctors fail to run this antithyroid antibody panel test.Go get it done!Look at your fingernails, the line should be at the tip.. if the line where your nail seperates from your finger is below the tip, that is a sign of hashimoto's disease. All the other symptoms you have fall in line with this disease as well.Please check back and let me know after you get the test, what the results are. They can keep it in check with regular checkups and thyroid hormones. Graves disease is another possibility, but you would have somewhat of a goiter in your neck.. possibly undetectable at this point. Depending on how long you have been suffering with symptoms. I lost so much weight, down to 102 lbs before they figured it out, 6 hospitals later.
    helobuff 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • OMG I have the exact same problems, Guess what I have?? Parathroid Diease. Very simple test get you calcium level checked. Mine was 10.8 which is high, been that way for years I went to a new doctor and he brought it to my attention, Apparently my last Doctor didn't think it was that important as Normal is below 10.5 not really that high.....boy was he wrong. anything over 10.5 is to high. Get a blood workup done get the results yourself and check it out on the internet. Do not ever leave it up to your Doctor to call you with blood work results insist on a copy from the lab. Check all results yourself. Parathroid Diaese is very easy to cure, a simple surgery. I had my surgery on Oct 30th of 2009 and am on my way to recovery. Doctor says it takes about 6 months for a full recovery and I am still waiting for the arm pit hair to grow back (crazy I know but I want to have to shave my pits again). Look it up there is a Dr. Norman on the net with a huge website on parathyroid diease. But do not beleive everything he says the cure is not overnight. But as soon as you have the surgery your calcium level will go down and you will start to feel better it just takes a little time. Good Luck I hope this helps. Sue email me if you like at Mystic Mountain Kennels. So I haven't had a lot of luck with the doctors I've seen, but maybe someone can help me. For starters, I'm a woman in my mid-twenties. I am overweight, but active. If you go down the list of hypothyroid, I have a good number of the symptoms:Weight gainJoint painFatigueDry skinDry, brittle hair and fingernailsDepressionConstipationLow body temperature (typically around 96.7 or so)and, of course, I've had my thyroid tested and there's nothing that shows up as wrong.I've had all this for quite some time now. I understand that the joint pain is possibly related the weight gain (though I have, in the past, lost significant amounts of weight and it has had no effect on my joints). Although, how my weight makes my wrists and elbows achy, I don't know.And now there's something new. I seem to have had a marked decrease in the amount of body hair I have. Sounds great, right? I don't have to shave as much. But really, it's kind of disturbing. It seems to mostly be affecting the body hair that becomes more pronounced in puberty. I don't notice any decrease in the hair on my head, but I definitely have less armpit hair. And there is no hair on my thighs anymore, not even peach fuzz. The hair on my lower legs and pubic area has significantly decreased as well. It's starting to freak me out. I wasn't an overly hairy person to begin with, but the fact that I can go 2 weeks without shaving my pits and you can't see anything in the mirror? Creepy. I have female friends who, if they go that long, look like they have Don King in a headlock. For what it's worth, my menstrual cycles are normal, but I'm on HBC, so that might have something to do with it (and when I was not on HBC, which hasn't been for many years now, I was always like clockwork).Any ideas?Thanks in advance!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2009
    • 06:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi there Rubberducky,I have all the symptoms you have mentioned and as an RN I was even more vigilant with my lab test. I went to see an Orthopedic MD Dr.John Nash here in Chattanooga who embodies what an MD should be. Very compassionate and really cares about his patient. After Arthroscopic surgery on my right new 2 yrs has passed and I was still having joint pain and all of your symptoms he was referred to a Rheumatologists Dr. Shah and he was the one who diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis. He tested my Vit D level and it was dangerously low and he explained that caused my fatigue all this time. AFter 2 weeks of taking prescription Vit. D3 I felt so better. Regarding your sleepiness have you seen a Pulmonary MD you might have some sleep apnea. My armpit hair is also thinning as well as my hair in my head but I also happen to be diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which also causes all your symptoms except for the joint pain. So here's my advise in a gist See an Orthopedic MD for your joint pain. See Rheumatologist to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis and see an OB-Gyn that is also an Endocrinologists. That's what I did and felt much better knowing what's causing my weird symptoms. Hope this helps. Also in retrospect if you are a guy then just see an Endocrinologist.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 25, 2010
    • 07:05 AM
    Flag this Response
  • hair loss is common in hypothyroidism but don't worry as hair loss treatment is effective in such cases. fore more in formation you can go through Provillus reviews
    russelbin 1 Replies
    • January 8, 2011
    • 00:29 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hair loss is common in hypothyroidism but don't worry as hair loss treatment is effective in such cases. fore more in formation you can go through Provillus reviews Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland doesn't make enough thyroid hormones. This slows down the body's metabolism, leading to symptomshttp://www.thyroidsymptomsblog.com/
  • The common symptoms is hairfall I too had the same problem when diagnosed thyroid.But it gradually decrease with proper diet and regular medicines. and could be completely cured.Home-Remedies-For-Hair-Fall
  • you might also want to check your parathyroid and not just your thyroid.
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• A lot of swelling will be visible which is one of the clue that you suffering from thyroid and also weight gain , on behalf of doing exercise not giving any results will be at very way. Always advisable to consult a weight loss surgeon so that you get proper guidelines and make sure by testing your reports that you are suffering from thyroid or not.
    shreya 15 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement