Discussions By Condition: Diabetes

High Blood sugar and irrational behavior

Posted In: Diabetes 44 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 24, 2006
  • 06:07 PM

My husband recently went through extremely high sugar levels 600+ then down to 47. This has been going on for a few weeks. During this time, he became extremely irrational and mildly violent. If anyone has experienced this, rather it be theirself or a family memeber please share your story with me rather by thread or email vessa3@inna.net

Reply Flag this Discussion

44 Replies:

• This is very common and I have seen it in a family member and had it happen to me when my blood sugars were both high and low. I am a diagnosed diabetic but I DO NOT take medication as I have been able to keep my blood sugars ''normal'' by watching what I eat. No white bread, no potatoes, very little rice, no pasta, very little fruit. IF BLOOD SUGAR IS NORMAL THESE EPISODES OF anger and irratability shoud decrease greatly. The best book on the subject for both those on insulin and those like me is called THE DIABETES SOLUTION by Dr. BERNSTEIN. You should visit the website. Try search for Dr. Berstein. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • wow that sounds like he could be what used to be called a brittle diabetic? or has some underlying health issues unknowen like an infection somewhere?iam a very brittle diabetic. no matter how low carb i eat and what i do nothing fixes it or helps much. eating low carb helps of corse but not much. if i weight lift and eat low carb then i see some better results. if he is going from the 600s down to the 40s that could very well be his mood troubles. my family says i get very angry looking and wild eyes and moody at those times as well.going from big time lows to big time highs and visa versa is very draining and trying on ones body. it takes and saps all ones energy. i have sugar swings like that almost daily. i hope your hubby can get help for this.
  • I am Type I diabetic and changes in sugar levels can cause irritability and irrationality but it can be controlled. My way of dealing with it is through a diet that is high in protein and slow buring carbs, I also supplement this with frequently cardio training. :)
  • about a year ago i found out i had diabetes 2 and high blood pressure and was going off at the smallest thing, once on tablets i calmed down and new person. looking back i had trouble trying to concentrate and expected to much from those around me. i also noticed with with high sugar at the time i also lost the plot with only a few drinks of alcohol. i dont drink anymore as now with diabetes looking more at my health and what i eat now. male 45yrs 80kg, 5'11''
  • Glycemic Balance:Many people suffer from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) or hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels), or even both conditions. Glycemic Balance is formulated to provide all the essential nutrients the body requires without causing traumatic blood sugar fluctuation. It is high in quality protein and dietary fibers, provides complete vitamins and minerals and is rich in phytonutrients. It is convenient, satisfyingly delicious and mixes easily. Great for vegetarians too.For Glycemic Balance Products :Glycemic Balance:http://www.nutrovita.com/productdetail.asp?pid=1717For More Information :http://www.nutrovita.comHealth Articles :http://www.nutrovita.com/sp/artindex.asp
  • My mom is diabetic, and also gets extremely moody and irrational.Unfortunatly, she doesn't seem to care, although she does take her insulin shots, she eats things she shouldn't eat, and makes everyone around her crazy. I would try and get your husband some help through his dr's. It only gets worse over time if left untreated.Good luck to you and your husband!
  • Yes, I have been experiencing some erractic behavior as my levels jump from high to low. Also people say that I seem different than normal, like I am on drugs or something and they know I do not drink or do drugs.I go from rage to giggling about nothing. It can hit you really quick pretty much without warning. So, I guess it is normal but not much fun to go through and very trying for loved ones and friends.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2006
    • 00:13 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Yup, as everyone else said, it is very common to go through mood swings when your blood sugar is high or low, when mine goes low I usually get very moody and just angry at everyone, or suddenly cry over nothing. And when it's high I often have noticed I act weird, I forget things and I say irrational things but too bad i notice after it's normal again :D
    the_one 39 Replies
    • November 2, 2006
    • 05:37 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yes that explains it, I was diagnosed with type 2 in june 2005. and for quite a while before that I was experiencing highs and lows. also rapid heart beats and atrial fibrillation episodes. since being diagnosed and put on meds it has improved some. I still have episodes of irrational behavior. but now I know after the episode what happend. or what was the cause. now only if my spouse would understand, I don't do this on purpose. I prefer to be mellow. and free of stress. which is hard to do when my glucose drops or rises. I wonder how many people are mis-diagnosed and sent to a psychiatrist like I was back in 1988 , at the suggestion of a cardiologist dr. ahmed.and all the wasted time and suffering. when it was glucose that was the culprit. also statins can cause a lot of strange mental confusion and behavior. even temporary amnesia, as an american astranaut experienced. among many other people , I had to retire due to all of the things that happend. and i don't drive when I'm not feeling wel. l drove 20 miles and was going to keep going , untill I stopped and drank some soda. and then realized what was going on.May the good Lord keep you safe, and bless you.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 6, 2007
    • 08:54 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I wanted to find out if blood sugar level has anything to do with the way you feel. That is how I found this site.I have done some studies on myself. Check the results and see if you experienced anything like this.I have Type II diabetes, I take insulin 3 times a day, it is essentially under control. I ched my blood sugar and my mood. This is what I found.Blood sugar: 120 - 150 mg/dl - I feel normal 150 - 200 - I feel little bit high, I feel good 200 - Above - I feel increasingly tired 300 - above - very tired, I have to sit down or lie down 100 - 120 - depressed, if I see sad movie, I cry below 100 - Serious physical and psychological condition. I need to drink a glass of orange juice and wait for 20 minutes to make me feel better.If you have similar experience, post it here.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 14, 2007
    • 02:00 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband is very moody and irrational when his blood sugar is high, and that is quite often. He really scares me when he is so angry at everything and everyone. When he is low he is very lovable and fun. Does anyone else notice these same symptoms? At my urging, he is starting to visit with a diabetic counselor to get thing under control. He is on the pump. We are on the brink of divorce for lots of reasons but this makes all our struggles worse.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 13, 2007
    • 01:08 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Yes, it's normal for diabetics to be normally crabby. I used to work with a lady in the hospital that was diabetic and she was difficult to work for. One minute she'd be nice and the next minute she'd be mean. i think it's a way of life for them.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 00:45 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My Husband Was Diagnosed A Year Ago And Has Been Trying To Control It With Diet Alone. Just In The Last Few Months He Has Blown Up Over Nothing And Been Verbally Abusive. I Wanted To See If It Was The Diabetes Or Something Else. He Just Makes No Sense With His Behavior Being So Abusive. He Use To Drink But Quit When He Was Diagnosed And I Was Wondering If After Being Clean Of Alcohol For Over A Year He May Be Suffering Because He Can't Drink His Problems Away(he Never Could) But Maybe He Feels Out Of Control Since He Can't Indulge In Alcohol As A Release Anymore? What Do You Think?
  • My husband was diagnosed with Type II about 10 years ago. He was on insulin but then got things under control and only needed glucophage. Lately, his sugar is over 400 and they're trying to adjust the medication. Meanwhile, though, he is not himself. He's forgetful, sometimes irrational, and once got angry at a little thing--totally unlike him. I don't recall this the first time around, but it's really getting on my nerves now. I don't know if it's the sugar or if he's getting early Alzheimer's--it's that noticeable a difference that I'm getting concerned.
  • I am very worried about my husband for about the last 2 weeks...he is type 2 and has not been very consistant about his diet, but has been taking his pills(no shots)....he is irrational and does not sleep well, he just seems to not be able to calm down, and thats not him! I dont know if he is heading for something big here or what to do!He is 67 and goes constantly from 4am to sometimes 7 or 8 and this has been just getting worse as time goes on! The irrational, negative,sometimes to the point of mild violence (slamming doors etc) this is not him!!!If someone has any advice for me, I really would appreciate it!nylonanny@aol.com
    bamalady 1 Replies Flag this Response
  • Balanced Protein and Carbohydrates Glycemic Balance is a low glycemic nutritious meal supplement designed to provide the body with sustained energy. It also supports the management of appetite and healthy weight achievement by minimizing glycemic fluctuations in the body. It contains fenugreek and glucomannan which, in human studies, have been shown to support blood sugar balance and weight management.Glycemic Balance:Sustains energySupports blood sugar balanceEnhances curb food cravings associated with sharp glycemic fluctuationsProvides high quality vegetarian proteinSupports weight managementGlycemic Balance FeaturesSoy Protein: Beneficial for normal cardiovascular system function, healthy cell replication and bone health.Rice Protein: Hypoallergenic and easier to digest than most other grain products.Rice Brain Solubles (Rice EssenceTM): Packed with B vitamins and antioxidants, and is a good source of gamma oryzanol, vitamin E and tocopherols.Glutamine (as peptide source): An essential amino acid, especially when under stress (e.g., exercise or challenged immune function). Assists in boosting immune function, restoring glycogen, reducing fatigue, and preserving muscle mass.Glucomannan (FiberTrim), Fenugreek (FenuLife), flax seeds and Inulin (Raftilose Synergy 1): Support blood sugar balance, boost friendly bacteria growth and normalize bowel function.Alpha-Lipoic Acid: Enhances balance blood sugar levels.for more details: http://www.herbsmd.com/detail/glycemic-balance-1717.htmvisit: http://www.herbsmd.comHerbs, Nutrition, Supplements, Vitamins and Minerals
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 6, 2008
    • 11:55 AM
    Flag this Response
  • High blood sugar does relate to aggressive, irritable behavior. But the spikes and lows makes me wonder if he might be drinking alcohol? Booze can kick the blood sugar way up and then the bottom drops out.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • August 15, 2009
    • 04:35 PM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband is very moody and irrational when his blood sugar is high, and that is quite often. He really scares me when he is so angry at everything and everyone. When he is low he is very lovable and fun. Does anyone else notice these same symptoms? At my urging, he is starting to visit with a diabetic counselor to get thing under control. He is on the pump. We are on the brink of divorce for lots of reasons but this makes all our struggles worse. :(:) I don't remember what the pump does or if it is for insulin-dependent diabetics. But I do know for type 2 diabetes that the combination of Glucotrol XL--10mgs 1x in AM-- it's a time released med to work until the next morning-- (genetic is Glipizide XL) along with Actos 15 mgs 1x in AM has worked wonders for me when my sugars wanted to stay on the high side, I was more in control and able to tune in to my moods, onset of tireness, alertness, when to eat or snack for strength and welbeing, and more watchful to control my appetite better--especially since we have a tendency to have high cholesterol. I hope your husband is eating the brown breads instead of the white flour, that can knock his system out of synch. As you stray too far away from the foods that you are suppose to eat--your body cannot handle it, you become shaky inside and out and very uncomfortable, shortness of breath as if you are hyperventilating, change in body temperture. I hope this helps and that his body will be able to function the way that it should and he can finally get some relief from all that sugar in his bloodstream.
    deebetes 2 Replies
    • December 17, 2009
    • 10:32 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My Husband Was Diagnosed A Year Ago And Has Been Trying To Control It With Diet Alone. Just In The Last Few Months He Has Blown Up Over Nothing And Been Verbally Abusive. I Wanted To See If It Was The Diabetes Or Something Else. He Just Makes No Sense With His Behavior Being So Abusive. He Use To Drink But Quit When He Was Diagnosed And I Was Wondering If After Being Clean Of Alcohol For Over A Year He May Be Suffering Because He Can't Drink His Problems Away(he Never Could) But Maybe He Feels Out Of Control Since He Can't Indulge In Alcohol As A Release Anymore? What Do You Think? Everyone: Please read my recent post, it may be helpful. It may take your men longer than us woman to realise what has to be done emotionally in taking care of diabetes. I know I cannot go over 2 alcoholic beverages and I have to not drink for months and months after that, otherwise my systems feels like it is being torn apart, as far as sweets--I'll limit it to a candy bar and keep it around 13gms of sugar. From Dee.
    deebetes 2 Replies
    • December 17, 2009
    • 10:57 AM
    Flag this Response
  • My husband recently went through extremely high sugar levels 600+ then down to 47. This has been going on for a few weeks. During this time, he became extremely irrational and mildly violent. If anyone has experienced this, rather it be theirself or a family memeber please share your story with me rather by thread or email vessa3@inna.netHi.My husband has been so irratable and angry and has had fits of rage that have frightened me. I know he would never hurt me but to see him like that scares me. His face is so red and during the rage he doesn't know where to turn. The thing is, something valid does set him off, so he figures he has a reason for being angry but it is almost out of control anger. His blood sugar levels have been high for at least two years and he was a type 2 and now is a type 1 on insulin. He takes it but hates the pills as they give him diarreah (oops don't know how to spell it) and he constantly eats all the wrong foods. It's like he doesn't care what he is doing to his body. It's very difficult to sit here day after day and see what he is doing and talking about it only works for a few days and then he's right back to eating whatever he wants again. We are 47 years old and married (second time for both) 2 years and Christian so I really can't see me leaving him but what choice does someone have when he won't do anything about it and refuses to go to the doctor because the doctor will prescribe medicine that gives him the trots and he hates it as he job entales that he drive around alot.I also have a friend with type 1 and he is the angriest man in the world with huge fits of anger and now I know why.Thanks for posting this as I was starting to wonder if there was something else causing it but now I know, for sure, it's his diabetes.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 30, 2009
    • 01:56 PM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement