Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Thyroid/PCO Symptoms

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 10 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 21, 2006
  • 00:38 PM

Dear All,

I have had the following symptoms on and off for the past 9 months:

1) Loss of hair - handfuls of hair falling out which has now stemmed
2) Difficulty losing weight - On strict diet and 5 times excercise a week no weight loss
3) Tired and irritable
4) Over emotional
5) Unable to control temper
6) Dry skin on hands and feet
7) Always cold - in particular hands and feet
8) Acne increasing
9) Hairs appearing on my face/chin area

I have had tests for almost everything to no avail and in fact now the Doctors believe I am suffering from OCD due to the obbsession I have with my health. No one is able to help. I am convinced that there is a resonable explanation... I just would like someone to offer advice, not try to tell me that I am crazy.

I tried Iodine incase it was thyroid, but they made syptoms worse and emotionally felt awful. I don;t know what else to try even if it is natural remedy I would try it now.

Please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

10 Replies:

• Don't let them convince you it is in your mind. They sent me to a psychiatrist before they diagnosed me with Lupus. Just keep on insisting on more tests and if your regular doctor doesn't do the trick - go to another one.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 21, 2006
    • 02:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear Unregistered: I've had all the symptoms listed plus more, except for the cold feet and hands. I went 16 years undiagnosed even though I wento to the gynocologist regularly and complained of my symptoms(four different women doctors). I was overlooked because I was not overweight, my facial hair was blonde, and I had regular periods for most of the time. However, I had kidney stones and because of the scan they did, they saw my cysts. That led to an ultra sound that showed my ovaries doubled in size with many cysts. I am just now addressing my problems, and it is with a primary care doctor, woman. She is treating me herself because the other doctors ( have my medical records to show her) have been so neglectful. She is cooperating with whatever treatment I want. She's great. So keep looking until you find the right doc! If you don't, you may end up like me, 37 and childless and now possibly going through menopause which is another subject altogether! Pioneer ;)
    Pioneer 13 Replies
    • November 21, 2006
    • 08:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I forgot to mention, PCOS is caused from insulin resistance, which can be reversed if not a diabetic. Women to Women org. educated me about it. Go to their website and see if you are insulin resistant (check symptoms).
    Pioneer 13 Replies
    • November 21, 2006
    • 08:33 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Dear All, I have had the following symptoms on and off for the past 9 months: 1) Loss of hair - handfuls of hair falling out which has now stemmed2) Difficulty losing weight - On strict diet and 5 times excercise a week no weight loss3) Tired and irritable 4) Over emotional5) Unable to control temper6) Dry skin on hands and feet7) Always cold - in particular hands and feet8) Acne increasing 9) Hairs appearing on my face/chin areaI have had tests for almost everything to no avail and in fact now the Doctors believe I am suffering from OCD due to the obbsession I have with my health. No one is able to help. I am convinced that there is a resonable explanation... I just would like someone to offer advice, not try to tell me that I am crazy. I tried Iodine incase it was thyroid, but they made syptoms worse and emotionally felt awful. I don;t know what else to try even if it is natural remedy I would try it now. Please help.It could be PCOS or it could be ovarian decline. You don't say how old you are. I've suffered from both PCOS since childhood and early ovarian decline since my mid 20s. The symptoms got increasingly worse. The only thing that has helped me is a HRT patch. I'm currently on the combi patch. It took about a year before there was a positive change.I went through all of the ***l you've been through with doctors. They are very skeptical and most are simply incompetent when it comes to hormonal problems. Check out Dr. Vliet's book, called: "It's in my ovaries, Stupid." Her book is very enlightening. Every woman should read it.Good luck. I hope you find some answers. :-)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 11, 2007
    • 06:03 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be cushings disease. I have every symptom you described. I have hypothyroidism and high blood pressure too. Currently testing for cyclic cushings, but I am diagnosed with PCOS, but with no cysts. Cold hands/feetFatiugeMood swingsAngerDepressionBrain fogAcne (face, back, arms and chest)Unwanted hairgrowth on my chin, lower stomach and toes.Muscle achesJoint painHeartburnFeet painHair loss (head)Lower back painBuffalo hump (lump on the base of my neck)DiarreahGasPain under ribcageand a few I can't think of at the moment.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 06:24 PM
    Flag this Response
  • It could be cushings disease. I have every symptom you described. I have hypothyroidism and high blood pressure too. Currently testing for cyclic cushings, but I am diagnosed with PCOS, but with no cysts. Cold hands/feetWeight gain around the abdomenExessive hungerFatiugeMood swingsAngerDepressionBrain fogAcne (face, back, arms and chest)Breast dischargeVaginal drynessEyes burnUnwanted hairgrowth on my chin, lower stomach and toes.Muscle achesJoint painHeartburnFeet painHair loss (head)Lower back painBuffalo hump (lump on the base of my neck)DiarreahGasPain under ribcageand a few I can't think of at the moment. My symptoms cycle and I never have them all at once. Although the joint pain/ tendon pain is always there more or less. This might not be your problem, but its worth having it looked into.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • September 12, 2007
    • 06:26 PM
    Flag this Response
  • kiera....is cushings herditary....i have so many of those symptoms...i have a sister who is diabetic...and one with thyroid disease....is cushings a autoimmune diasease? my symptoms have gotten worse the last year...fatigue and muscle pain is very bad...there are days i just want to lay down....loss of desire..dryness...acne and hair on chin...weight gain...i'm about 5'4...was around 120 a year ago about 135 now...am strict eater...dont eat alot...weight gain is not due to food...sometimes just brushing my hair i have to lower my arms and rest them...or washing it...i am 36 ...and i feel like im 86....the buffalo hump sound like what my mom has...and she has alot of those symptoms...i dont go to the dr alot...no insurance will do that...how do they diagnose cushings...Thanks for any info....:confused:
    Tenngal71 22 Replies
    • October 13, 2007
    • 02:07 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hair thinning, mood swings, dry skin, tiredness, cold hands and feet and definately hair on the face - I'm always having to shave! sounds to me like an underactive thyroid - I've got one, weight gain is also down to an underactive thyroid, ask your doctor to give you a blood test to check it out, good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • October 16, 2007
    • 10:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Tenngal, They say it's not, but if you visit cushings-help.com, you will see that there are many siblings and many of those diagnosed belive that either a parent or another relative had it. Good luck with your journey towards better health... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2007
    • 10:26 AM
    Flag this Response
  • if you get your thyroid checked, please also ask that they check your thyroid antibodies. I had normal hormone levels for years and my thyroid illness was only picked up on after they found elevated thyroid antibodies, which were destroying my gland.-good luck
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 7, 2007
    • 10:57 AM
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Safe Sex With Hepatitis C

Prevent the spread of the hepatitis C virus.

Preventing Lung Infections

With COPD, it’s important to protect your lungs.

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement