Discussions By Condition: Brain conditions

Pain/Pressure in back of head when I laugh

Posted In: Brain conditions 143 Replies
  • Posted By: venissa
  • November 17, 2006
  • 04:02 PM

Does this happen to anyone here?

If so, do you know what causes it? Once I stop laughing the pressure/pain eases up. This is not a normal pain from laughing......its different. Sometimes it hurts so bad that I have to stop laughing to make the pain/pressure ease up.

On rare occasions I notice it hurting even when no laughter is involved. At that time it is dull pain and pressure right at the base of my skull.

Reply Flag this Discussion
  • I have the same problem but I haven't been able to figure out the cause. It happens when I laugh and also when I get nervous. It's a terrible feeling of pressure on the two sides of the back of my head. I could even feel it swell up at the same time. Let me know if you find anything and I will def. keep you posted as well. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 04:35 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Sounds exactly what my problem is......and I know how you feel. Some people say its normal for your head to hurt when you laugh but this pain/pressure is not the normal pains from laughing. It actually hurts so bad that you dont want to laugh.......Am curious - have you asked your doctor about it? I keep meaning to ask but I forget when I am there. I have a physical coming up so I hope to remember to ask him at that time. Please keep me posted on anything you may find out about it.My email is venissa_98@yahoo.comI have the same problem but I haven't been able to figure out the cause. It happens when I laugh and also when I get nervous. It's a terrible feeling of pressure on the two sides of the back of my head. I could even feel it swell up at the same time. Let me know if you find anything and I will def. keep you posted as well. Good luck.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 00:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Hello. I experience the same thing and have for years. I noticed it in particular when I was in a club or at a function and had to raise my voice to be heard over loud music. I would get excited and laugh and have a good time but would feel this pressure on both sides of the back of my head. Lately, I have felt it, not nearly as much as when I laugh, but when I'm sitting in front of the computer. It's as if my head is too "heavy" and I need to move it around to get it into a comfortable position.Now this is kinda causing a sense of "fuzziness", but not to the point of it causing me to change my routine (work out at the gym, etc.). When I stretch out at the gym, I work on my neck and shoulders especially, and I feel the same pressure in the back of my head when I stretch out.I saw my doctor a few months ago and he felt it was my neck muscles and doubted very much it was anything serious (like a tumor, which is what I feared, but I'm an admitted hypochondriac). However, I will still bring this up to him because it concerns me. I keep myself reasonably healthy with exercise and health supplements, but I am on meds for hypertension (which has never caused me any issues with headaches or this head pressure) and hypothyroidism. My blood work of late has been fine.But I am worried at this point. Any info is helpful. And I'll be sure to post anything I might find out from my doctor. I think I'd feel better if I had a full CT scan, MRI, the works, to rule out a tumor.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 28, 2006
    • 07:56 PM
    Flag this Response
  • hey guys. i have had the same symptoms,only it isnt from laughing.some one told me it is called cluster haed aches,but im not sure what those are,im all the time thinking im going to have an anurism.i get so scared bc i feel no one understands what it feels like.i am also a hyperchondriac.lol.but the pressure is sometimes really intense.some times it is so intense that it hurts.it is (uaually) in the back of my head where those two knots are and it is just a lot of pressure.and sometimes it is on my temples and on the side of my head.i get really freaked out sometimes.so i know what it feels like guys.and i am only a 19 year old single mother.so i think it is from stress.whenever you guys start to feel this pressure,start massaging the back of your shoulders i noticed when i do this it goes away,(usually)
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 8, 2006
    • 09:58 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Could be stress headaches if massaging your shoulders makes it go away
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 19, 2006
    • 04:09 PM
    Flag this Response
  • Yup, happens to me at the moment as well. I also get body itching from it and this aspect is called neurodermititis, a stress related problem. But even when I don't feel particularly stressed it seems to come about. Oddly it seems to be worst after very relaxing activities like bathing, sleeping and laughing. I too am convinced there must be something deeply wrong with me, but everywhere I go on the issue it's stress that seems to be the answer - but stress at what!?!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 21, 2006
    • 04:52 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I just started having a pain in my head when i laugh hard or when i bend over. I just got over a cold. i did alot of heavy nose blowing which caused my ears to pop alot (which has never happened before). I was reading on some other blogs and i think i just blew my nose too hard.i think i just did something to a nerve in my head. hopefully it will go away soon.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 12, 2007
    • 02:25 AM
    Flag this Response
  • i just went to the doctor with many of the same symptoms described. I am getting and MRI/MRA (don't know what an MRA is) next week. The nuerologist suggested changing my pillow. If that doesnt help, he suggested steroid injections into my head. My head pressure is at its worst in the morning, usually upon waking. He doesn't seem to be concerned that there is anything seriously wrong, the MRA/MRI he said is to calm my own worries (I am convinced it's a brain tumor).
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 03:44 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Dont worry - I dont think its a tumor - Mine has been doing this for years and if it were a tumor I would know it by now. Let us know what your test results show if you dont mind.......Am curious to see what they say. My doc acts like its no big deal but to me it is....it hurts to bad to forget about it.Thanks for your post.i just went to the doctor with many of the same symptoms described. I am getting and MRI/MRA (don't know what an MRA is) next week. The nuerologist suggested changing my pillow. If that doesnt help, he suggested steroid injections into my head. My head pressure is at its worst in the morning, usually upon waking. He doesn't seem to be concerned that there is anything seriously wrong, the MRA/MRI he said is to calm my own worries (I am convinced it's a brain tumor).
    venissa 16 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 03:17 PM
    Flag this Response
  • By the way - 1) Mine is not any type of headache like stress or cluster.2) Its not from nose blowing.......lol. 3) Its not from a cold or flu.4) Changing a pillow will not help.5) My body does not itch.6) Massaging does not help.7) Mine never moves to the temples or anywhere else.The pain is always on the back of my head on both sides where the two humps are located toward the bottom......This is something different and it causes alot of pain/pressure......Thanks for all responses...........I just wish we could find a true diagnosis.
    venissa 16 Replies
    • January 16, 2007
    • 03:30 PM
    Flag this Response
  • I have pain on the left side of my head when I laugh or bend over. I want to go to the Doc but I'm kind of scared and plus I don't have any insurance. I'm not sure what to do. I've prayed that it just will go away. I've had the pain for almost 2 months now. It's kind of off and on. It feels like a pressure kind of pain only on the left side. I was thinking I may have damaged a nerve or somthing. Any advice would be helpful.God Bless,Isaac
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 19, 2007
    • 07:03 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Complications of Crohn’s Disease

Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.

8 Surprising Facts About Cholesterol

Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?

• Isaac, I'm the one who posted earlier about getting the MRI/MRA done. The nuerologist I saw told me that he thinks I have a damaged nerve, which the steroid injections would help. I'll let you know what the results of my MRI are when I get it done.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 28, 2007
    • 02:38 AM
    Flag this Response
  • and i thought i was the only one with this problem!! this has happened to me before but it usually goes away. it started yesterday...i was at an affair with loud music so maybe that contributed to the pain but it the pain started right before the affair.it is a pain on the 2 sides of the back of my head and especially hurts when i laught. i keep touching the back of my head with my hand and i feel 2 bumps which i dont know if they were always there because i dont usually feel my head. i keep massaging it hoping it might go away but nothing. advil does not work nor did excedrin. i feel like going to get an mri. i had one once when i was 6 b.c i had terrible migranes...Dr's said they were nothing to worry about but this pain is getting me worried. Im glad im not alone.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • January 29, 2007
    • 05:16 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I had this about 12 years ago...I'm glad I'm not just a freak of nature. Everytime I laughed, coughed, cried or was startled I would get intense pain that started at the back of my head and would sweep up and over down to my eyes. It only subsided when I relaxed and breathed deep. I called them flash migraines. My doctor was baffled and prescribed me 2400mg of ibuprofen a day. After a 3 months of being a zombie and not being able to concentrate at school I stopped taking it. I had a few episodes after stopping medication and it just went away on its own. It's perhaps idiopathic. It could go away on its own...but nothing beats peace of mind when it comes to shelling out for having your head scanned.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 1, 2007
    • 05:47 AM
    Flag this Response
  • I get that pain in the back of my head as well, but only when I laugh to hard, if I start laughing to hard I get a really sharp pain in the back side of my head that hurts so bad i just hold the back of my head and try to stop laughing, I have wondered what this is for years, it only happeneds if I laugh to hard....
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 5, 2007
    • 05:39 PM
    Flag this Response
  • To everyone who is concerned about pain in the back of the head...you might want to read up on Chiari Malformation. I recently had an MRI done and found that I have a Chiari type 1 Malformation. The pains that you all describe are number one on Chiari symptoms lists. Many people with this malformation go years undiagnosed and in severe pain and fear. Most doctors don't know about Chiari but it is actually very common and it is treatable. I strongly suggest you all just look it up online and see what you think. It could change your life.
    celeste 2 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 00:39 AM
    Flag this Response
  • Hi everyone! I just found this site linked to another site I was looking at. I was reading all of your posts regarding the "pain/pressure in the back of the head when I laugh", and you ALL made me very nervous and I felt that I HAD to send you all a quick message. A neurologist found a brain tumor, called an Acoustic Neuroma/Vestibular Schwannoma during a routine MRI seven years ago when I had Lyme Disease (it is a small tumor at the end of the auditory/hearing canal that can ruin your hearing and result in facial nerve paralysis). She told me that this was no big deal because it was so small. I had follow up MRI's over the next several years to make sure that the tumor did not "grow", however, a few years ago, the doctors did a more specialized MRI (with auditory canal views) and found that the tumor needed to be removed! I am nervous because I had (and still have) this pain/pressure in my head that you are all attributing to other things!! MAKE your doctors do an MRI AND A CT SCAN!! They dont pay for it!! And if your insurance doesnt...make a deal with the hospital, because you cant put a price on your health! Unfortunately, my health is bad now! I have had a total of three brain surgeries in just 13 months!! I keep having this pain/pressure (and other symptoms) and I have been to every type of doctor trying to find out what went wrong! I am on so much pain medication that the doctors are afraid of what they are doing to my body!! Please, with any surgery, search your doctor extensively! Dont just go by the nice and reassuring smile and what people tell you, because my Neurosurgeon was supposed to be the "best on the East Coast" and I went to the number 7 hospital in the world (in New York), and my doctor...well I could tell you things that would make your head spin and your jaw drop to the floor and beyond!!!! So...the point of this long message is that you can never be too careful!! Trust yourself and your body, because it will tell you if something is not right (by pain, etc)!! Fight for what you believe in! I wish I knew! Now-I am bed bound in my mid 20's for the last 2 1/2 years-I spend at least 20-22 hours a day in bed-I lost my friends, my great job I worked so hard to get at a managerial level that no one my age had, drop out of college when I was working toward my nursing degree, I had to sell my condo and move back in with my family-now I depend on a disability check (which isn't much) and I miss every thing in my life-every family function, etc-and therefore gained over 100lbs!!!! I dont want to scare you and I am DEFINATELY not a "why me" kind of person-this is actually the first time I have said all of this- but if ONE person is helped by my story, then I will be HAPPY!!!! I dont know when or if I will get back to check this site-but I would LOVE to hear that you read my message and are helping yourselves! The best of luck to all of you!! Take care of yourselves!!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 11, 2007
    • 09:07 AM
    Flag this Response
  • oh great....i have been doing some searching about his becuase it as been starting to worry me. I think i had an MRI and or a CT scan about some headaches I was having a few years ago and nothing came up, but back then i did not have this symptom. Time to go to the Dr I guess.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 17, 2007
    • 00:28 PM
    Flag this Response
  • i am having pain in back of my head.. its becouse of to much sex. sometimes
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
  • getting same pain when i laugh, two pains on each side very dull. keeps on hurting couple of seconds after laughing
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

8 Health Dangers of Depression

Unmanaged depression can take a toll on your physical health.

Best Cough & Cold Meds for Kids

Help your child feel better, faster.

What HIV Positive Women Should Know About Sex

You can have sex after an HIV diagnosis.

Food Choices for Diabetes

What, when and how much you eat affects your blood sugar.

6 Exercises for Multiple Sclerosis

Ease your way into these stretching and strengthening moves,

Advertisement